Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First car accident

Default First car accident

Hey guys I need your help,
    Today on my way to school another student hit my car while I was waiting in line to get my spot. Once he hit me my car hit another students car causing a chain reaction. This is my first accident and Iím just wondering will my insurance go up because I was hit. The driver who hit already accepted full negligence and said he would pay for the damage which is around $4,000Iím just trying to figure this all out, if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it

Foolish

If the other driver has taken the blame, it won't hurt your insurance.

Depends on the liability and insurance laws in your particular state. It also depends on whether you made a claim with your insurance company and whether a police report was filed. It is possible, if the offending party pays all claims out of pocket with no insurance involvement, that your insurance may not go up.

Again, it depends on where you live.

Thank you giys for your help, A police report was filed and I haven't talked to the other party if they where going to involve their insurance, but Ive talked to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    If the other driver has taken the blame, it won't hurt your insurance.
    I will assert that this is largely irrelevant. Chances are good that the at-fault driver realized he/she screwed up and was trying to say anything to avoid having the cops called out. The likelihood of your ever being able to collect on that $4,000 promise is, in my view, incredibly small (slightly better than the Powerball, slightly worse than winning $2 on a scratch-and-win ticket). Trust me, I've played that game before, and the only reason I got anything was because the 17-year-old girl that hit me gave me her insurance policy card and I filed a claim against HER PARENTS' insurance when it became clear they were welching out on me.

Speaking of that, if the person involved was a minor, there's also the risk that the parents won't take kindly to your attempts to contact them. In my case, they tried to accuse me of trying to solicit contact with their daughter. Happily, the police saw right through them and nothing ever came of it. (Her parents and I both called the police on the same day to file a police report. They basically tried to claim that I rode my bike into the side of their daughter's car and that the accident was my fault. Really what had happened was she had made an unsignaled and illegal turn into me. By the time they claimed I was trying to solicit contact with their daughter the police had already figured out they were shady liars.)

Question-Do you have a police report? If not, contact the police and file one. It won't be nearly as good as if you got one at the scene, but you need documentation. They'll also do some due diligence to ascertain what happened. If you have a police report and the guy welches out on you, you could take him to court. But, from watching many hours of "Judge Judy" and "The Peoples' Court," I know they'll give you a hard time for not going through your insurance first.

To respond to your original question-in many cases, your insurance will go up in the event of any collision, whether it was your fault or not. However, it would go up considerably more if it was your fault than if it was not your fault. It's pretty lame, but insurance companies are fuckers.

And good luck getting this all sorted! I know how much being in accidents stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post

Question-Do you have a police report? If not, contact the police and file one. It won't be nearly as good as if you got one at the scene, but you need documentation. They'll also do some due diligence to ascertain what happened. If you have a police report and the guy welches out on you, you could take him to court. But, from watching many hours of "Judge Judy" and "The Peoples' Court," I know they'll give you a hard time for not going through your insurance first.

!
    To awnser your question the police where called on to the scene. The officers made a detail report of the accident, I took some pictures of damge to all three cars, met with the parnets of the person who hit me and chated for a few. I'm not concernd of not being payed. It would just be a real bumer if my rates went up because I was wating in line :/

Here in CT that advice is iffy, if you hit the car in front of you though pushed you might have been too close or not prepared, (holding the brakes on). Law is written by the lawyers for the lawyers and the benefit of the insurance companys they represent. It happened to a friend who's insurance had to pay out for the car he hit after being hit.
    I wish you better luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
    To awnser your question the police where called on to the scene. The officers made a detail report of the accident, I took some pictures of damge to all three cars, met with the parnets of the person who hit me and chated for a few. I'm not concernd of not being payed. It would just be a real bumer if my rates went up because I was wating in line :/
    You have done all the right things legally and morally. Whether your insurance goes up is now dependent on your state law.

I think in CA. If there 3 car in a accident. You pay for the car in Front of you while the car that hit you Pays for your car. But this law can very in State or country you live in.