Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Go vote

Default Go vote

I encourage all of you out there who are registered to go vote.
    Whether early or on election day. I just got back from casting
    my early ballot.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/how-about-no-bear-meme.jpg

I don't plan on voting this year, I don't like the candidates and don't think my vote matters. ALTHOUGH, I do want to get a magic 8 ball and go down to the polling place, pull it out, ask "should I vote for Obama?" and then read the answer outloud, I'll keep doing this for all the amendments and such. Just because I can. (I am only joking about this) But it would be funny as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/how-about-no-bear-meme.jpg

I don't plan on voting this year, I don't like the candidates and don't think my vote matters. ALTHOUGH, I do want to get a magic 8 ball and go down to the polling place, pull it out, ask "should I vote for Obama?" and then read the answer outloud, I'll keep doing this for all the amendments and such. Just because I can. (I am only joking about this) But it would be funny as hell.
    In all honesty I think you should. There's nothing illegal about it and no one can stop you, as it would be highly illegal to do so. I'm with ya on your vote doesn't matter even more so if your not in a battleground state like Ohio or FL. No election has been decided on a single person's vote yet and the odd's of it ever happening is miniscule at best.

However I like voting for the sake of voting. But not so much that I don't go in. I'm permanent absentee voter now.

If you go to a restaurant and they're offering a shit salad sandwich and a shit burger, do you make a purchase anyway, or do you pass, and let your friends eat and then listen to them complain because the food sucks?

June

Quote Originally Posted by Possibly Insane View Post
    If you go to a restaurant and they're offering a shit salad sandwich and a shit burger, do you make a purchase anyway, or do you pass, and let your friends eat and then listen to them complain because the food sucks?
    I think contributing to who is going to become the president of the nation is a bit more important than purchasing food at a restaurant. Also, unlike in this analogy, you will get one of them regardless.

If you don't like either of them, I would encourage you to at least vote for the lesser of the two evils. It's hard to look credible complaining about the current person in office when you had no say in putting them in or keeping them out.

I'm not voting this year and those who tell me I can't complain if I don't vote can piss off. I'll exercise my right to free speech how I see fit. I don't like either candidate and voting for the "lesser of two evils" is still voting for evil. I cannot in good conscious do that. I'm done playing the game of politics because it never has been and never will be about the best interest of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I'm with ya on your vote doesn't matter even more so if your not in a battleground state like Ohio or FL.
    ...which is why the electoral college concept is silly and outdated, and needs to die as soon as possible. There shouldn't be such a thing as a "battleground state," and the votes of other states shouldn't be taken for granted. These candidates should be campaigning to the whole country, not just gaming the system like they are (like the system forces them to). I figured that Gore's loss to Bush would have been the final nail in the coffin of this thing, but unfortunately it wasn't. If Romney loses to Obama in similar fashion then perhaps we'll finally have the bipartisan support we need to amend the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    ...which is why the electoral college concept is silly and outdated, and needs to die as soon as possible. There shouldn't be such a thing as a "battleground state," and the votes of other states shouldn't be taken for granted. These candidates should be campaigning to the whole country, not just gaming the system like they are (like the system forces them to). I figured that Gore's loss to Bush would have been the final nail in the coffin of this thing, but unfortunately it wasn't. If Romney loses to Obama in similar fashion then perhaps we'll finally have the bipartisan support we need to amend the constitution.
    Truly, It was rather stupid my vote for McCain din't count for jackshit because I happen to live in California. Of course if this was the case I likely would of voted for Ron Paul rather then Mccain. But at the time it was like hope for some miracle only 5% of California democrats didn't get to the polling places.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlf View Post
    I'm not voting this year and those who tell me I can't complain if I don't vote can piss off. I'll exercise my right to free speech how I see fit. I don't like either candidate and voting for the "lesser of two evils" is still voting for evil. I cannot in good conscious do that. I'm done playing the game of politics because it never has been and never will be about the best interest of the people.
    Said the person posting in the political thread.

Vote? Yes, of course, even though my vote in the Presidential race doesn't count for jack here in the People's Republic of Illinois. I'm outnumbered by the stupid, the dead, the homeless, and enough air-headed, soft hearted, teary-eyed liberals to tip it in if the Machine can't deliver enough phantom votes.

Vote early? Not a chance. With two weeks left, any number of candidates could be arrested, jailed, or scandalized between now and then. Remember our last two governors are in prison.

Despite all that, if you don't vote, you don't get to bitch. And I've got plenty to bitch about.

The electrol collage needs to change, a couple of ideas I have tossed around with family and such are:

1) Members of the house vote with their district and the senate members are either divided (each candiate gets 1 senate vote) or, if one candiate has an overwealming lead (like 70%+), both vote for that candiate
    2) the votes are divided up according to %, like if one candiate has 40% of the popular vote then he gets 40% of the electrol votes for the state

The one candiate takes all votes crap needs to stop, as there are issues like the following:
    Northern California is more conservative then southern, big city areas are more liberal then rural, etc.