Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jury duty notice from previous state

Default Jury duty notice from previous state

Does anyone know if you no longer live in a paticular state that sends you a jury notice if your exempt?? It would cost lots of money to travel just for jury duty if I have to. I never got a jury duty notice before.whats the general rules?

You don't have to go. You just need to call the number on the letter and tell them that you've moved.

What do the instructions included with the jury duty summons state? Usually, they have a specific set of instructions to follow to contest it/try to get yourself exempted (In my experience, these instructions are also deliberately written to minimize the chances of your success at such an endeavor). The last time I got summoned, I would have needed to reply by mail in a specific manner within something like three business days of receiving the summons. Of course, I was in the hospital when the summons arrived, so I didn't even know about it until after the period for me to contest it had expired. My attempts to get out of it by calling the court and telling them I had been in the hospital and was still laid up fell on deaf ears, and I wound up reporting for jury duty unable to walk and getting around on crutches.

Hopefully, since you've moved out-of-state, you're no longer considered a "peer" and they'll exempt you. Chances are, though, that you'll have to follow their procedure to the letter and provide some proof that you've actually moved.

Yeah I think there is a number to call says it's the town hall jurisdiction office and there is Form in. the flip side to fill out to contest it, surprised it's double sided any who thanks for the info!

Once my dad retrieved built up mail from our other house and in there was a jury summons for me. However we we picked it up the date was like weeks or months ago. I didn't call the number at all and the state had my current address anyways.

So I did nothing. A year or two later I got called for jury duty again this time they sent the notice to my actual place of residence and I went. The court staff said nothing about their previous attempts to get me in, the judge wasn't notified, etc. So yeah you should just ignore it especially since you don't live in the same city let alone same state anymore.

Also it sucks easily 8 times more then giving blood. Bring a book or portable gaming system if your ever called.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    Honestly you can just ignore it.
    I would recommend against this. The first time I was called, an individual that had been called wound up having his name pulled out of the hopper to be seated in a jury. Since he wasn't there, the judge ordered the bailiff to pursue the matter. It's worth remembering, too, that dodging jury duty and getting caught is illegal and a jailable offense (Contempt of Court, as I understand it).

If you're getting called for a county circuit court in a county of several million people, chances are you won't get busted. If you're getting called in a city court, your odds of getting busted probably go up. The thing is, though, that it's not worth risking it.

Edit: removed double post.

It depends on the Jurisdiction for the specifics, but usually proof of residence outside the jurisdiction or unreasonable distance from the court is sufficient to be excused. Last time I was summoned, it was to a Court in Virginia while I was stationed in California: I had to get my CO to fax a statement to the court, but then I was good.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    I would recommend against this. The first time I was called, an individual that had been called wound up having his name pulled out of the hopper to be seated in a jury. Since he wasn't there, the judge ordered the bailiff to pursue the matter. It's worth remembering, too, that dodging jury duty and getting caught is illegal and a jailable offense (Contempt of Court, as I understand it).

If you're getting called for a county circuit court in a county of several million people, chances are you won't get busted. If you're getting called in a city court, your odds of getting busted probably go up. The thing is, though, that it's not worth risking it.

Edit: removed double post.
    They won't send you to Jail. They don't send the summons via priority mail or anything official, (at least where I am) so you can say you never got it IF they choose to follow up, and they have no way of proving you did.

Anyways, if you do do anything, call them up and ask for a deferment and say you can do it the week of thanksgiving. No judge would start a case that week, so your in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    They won't send you to Jail. They don't send the summons via priority mail or anything official, (at least where I am) so you can say you never got it IF they choose to follow up, and they have no way of proving you did.

Anyways, if you do do anything, call them up and ask for a deferment and say you can do it the week of thanksgiving. No judge would start a case that week, so your in the clear.
    Jury Dodgers: What really happens if you ignore your jury summons? | LegalZoom

Man Gets Fine, No Jail Time for Skipping Jury Duty | NBC Chicago

Skipping jury duty? Think again | Independent Tribune