Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine

Default Caffeine

Haven't posted for ages due to a lot of family and work stress but hopefully back for good. Anyway, after reading thread on beer I got to thinking about caffeine.

I am a little older and have started to notice that caffeine really affects me. If I have three or more cups I can have some real urgency issues and have even had a few little accidents. I wonder if it will get worse, I mean to the point where I have to wear diapers. He he! Well, I guess if it comes to that my wife will make me go to the doctor and start drinking decafe. Pah! Oh well. Anyway, this might be something to try for involuntary night wetting.... drink a bunch before bed (anything really but my choice would be beer) and then have three cups of tea of coffee. Okay, this is starting to sound like a medical disaster... please don't try this at home!

I slowed up on coffee a few years back when I was still working. After 3 cups I found myself going quite frequently. I was wearing incontinence pads at that time

to catch my dribbles on the way to the potty. I now limit myself to 2 cups in the morning and don't drink anything with meals.

I actally switched to decaf a couple of years ago, but not for this reason. I seem to be immune to the stuff; it doesn't give me any kind of buzz and don't get withdrawal symptoms when I quit, even though I was drinking upwards of 2 pints of coffee a day. I decided I probably wasn't doing my heart any favours and so I decided to stop. I drink decaf coffee and tea at work and only occasionally have caffeine in a restaurant if decaf isn't available.

I've never really noticed much from caffeine except withdrawal if I stop having a soda a day or so. It might just be that I'm really unobservant, though. xD

(Completely random aside: I extracted and purified caffeine from tea during my chem lab a few weeks ago. The crystals look like tiny white icicles! It was really cool.)

Naahh, except it keeps me from being grouchy in the morning, or won't let me sleep at night.. beer works better then.

I think you'd be better off with things like Cranberry juice if your goal was to fall asleep and dribble.

Yeah caffeine before bed is not the best thing in the world, plus over doing diuretics can cause major cramping issues.
    Though with caffeine it can take a lot for me I consume on average 2200mgs a day in my coffee and up 6000mgs on crazy days in in laymans terms that is about 27.5 shots of espresso a day on average with an average shot being 2 ounces and 80mgs of caffeine.

Well, I have consumed a lot of caffeine in my time - mainly in the form of tea. It is remarkable how quickly if affects me (in terms of creating that urgency.) Conversely, it does not affect my ability to fall asleep hence my idea that it could play a role in involuntary night wetting. I will try it sometime and let you all now. Unfortunately, it has taken the best part of 30 years of caffeine abuse to get to this point so it is hardly a quick solution for most people!

As an avid caffeine drinker I know what you're talking about, but at the same time, as I've been drinking semi-large (completely safe for my size and heart) doses of caffeine a day, the effects will change. I used to feel urgency and jittery, but now it acts more in the background, allowing me to stay awake without feeling tired and concentrate more, as well as increasing memory function and reducing headaches. This may have something to do with a biological predisposition for me to drink caffeine and not be effected, as my mother and father were and are avid caffeine drinkers, and they seemed to feel the effects the same way I do.

About drinking caffeine before bed to induce night wetting, and the minor accidents you mentioned. Caffeine is a active diuretic, which basically means it makes you pee more. It tends to be good for day wetting, but I would highly suggest not drinking caffeine six hours before you go, or at least want, to sleep. The effects of caffeine begin taking place about thirty minutes after ingestion, it varies a bit depending on you, and then it has a half life of 6 hours. This basically means that after 6 hours you are feeling half the effects, after 12 hours one fourth of the effects, and so on and so forth. With the way you describe your reaction to caffeine, it sounds like having it before bed would means a almost completely sleepless night.

For more information on caffeine you should check out the video done about it by CGP Grey on YouTube (search "Coffee: The Greatest Addiction Ever" and look for the video done by CGPGrey).

Quote Originally Posted by asayuu View Post
    Yeah caffeine before bed is not the best thing in the world, plus over doing diuretics can cause major cramping issues.
    Though with caffeine it can take a lot for me I consume on average 2200mgs a day in my coffee and up 6000mgs on crazy days in in laymans terms that is about 27.5 shots of espresso a day on average with an average shot being 2 ounces and 80mgs of caffeine.
    I gotta call shenanigans on this. First of all 3 grams would be fatal. Second for a student I highly doubt that you can afford a $70 a day caffeine habit.