Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AB Documentary?

Lightbulb AB Documentary?

So let me start off by saying that I'm film student who's become very interested in documentaries in the past few months. And an ABDL doc probably isn't something I would do. But have fantasized about.

We all know there've been AB's on TV documentary series, and they're NOT a good representation of our community. Naturally, the media wants people who take it to the extreme for exploitation.
    If I were to make a documentary about our odd fetish/lifestyles I would not want to exploit anyone. I would like to inform others that there are some successful and seemingly normal people who like to act like toddlers every so often, not someone who lets their fetish consume their life. Even more importantly, I would show that there are people who accept us, whether it's a close friend, family member, or a partner/spouse who loves us whether we're being big or little.
    The participants would of course be able to tell their story, and their little side would be caught on video in a more creative way than seen on TV. Regression wouldn't be seen as something negative, but it wouldn't be glorified either.

So why wouldn't I do this?
    To put it simply, it would raise a lot of questions about me. There's only one person outside our community that knows about my little side. This part of me would be exposed because my last doc, and the one I'm currently have to with things that are part of my life (visual impairment and art).

So, any thoughts? Given the opportunity, would you make a short documentary to help shed some of the social stigma that comes with ABDLism?

LilPrincessJessica

It'd be nice to have correct information, and not the whole AB/DL community shown as freaks.

Quote Originally Posted by LilPrincessJessica View Post
    It'd be nice to have correct information, and not the whole AB/DL community shown as freaks.
    I agree, it would be nice to have something accurate.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the film and television industry myself. I have long considered the idea of producing a documentary closely tied to the community, and it has really been on my mind for the last couple of months. I also share your concern about how it would reflect on me.

The quality of the programs that have already done obviously leaves a lot to be desired. So there is, in my mind, a lot of room for a well produced documentary. It is my belief that if the focus were more on regression and if the picture were painted in a positive manner that it would be a worthwhile documentary.

i wonder if it could be pulled off in a manner where there is less of a focus on AB/DL while keeping a relatively broad scope. Perhaps starting with early childhood development and the inevitable connection.

Fantasy for me as well but I would love to be able to tell the story of discovery as it relates to myself and others. If I were not so afraid of others finding out, but then maybe this is another thing that could be explored.

Perhaps this needs the "community film project" approach: Educate people on the basics of shooting video, how to appear anonymous if necessary, etc., give them some basic guidelines or even have a rough narrative that people sign up to do parts of, and then go! Well... and then somebody has to edit it.

I feel that I could partake/assist in a documentary like this and explain it perfectly... but that still doesn't mean the world will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Perhaps this needs the "community film project" approach: Educate people on the basics of shooting video, how to appear anonymous if necessary, etc., give them some basic guidelines or even have a rough narrative that people sign up to do parts of, and then go! Well... and then somebody has to edit it.
    Interesting idea, not sure how well it would work out though.

Maybe this is just one of those things that someone does and the possible damage to reputation be damned. If the documentary is compelling and even touching enough it might not even matter that it deals with a highly stigmatized subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post
    I feel that I could partake/assist in a documentary like this and explain it perfectly... but that still doesn't mean the world will understand.
    This is why the project would need to be approached much like painting a picture or even writing a book. Understanding and connections can be drawn making a foundation, then it is a matter of building on that foundation bit by bit.

BigC300

Default AB Documentary?

Some people spend their free time doing recreational drugs, some people spend their free time consuming alcoholic beverages. I think we in this community are helping to liberate human sexuality from the societal norms of the nineteenth century.

Honestly, this is a great idea. The only problem is putting it into practice, and I feel the biggest potential cause is finding enough people who are willing to out themselves to the general public. Then, if and when you find them, making sure you get a diverse enough picture to avoid incorrect stereotypes.

- - - Updated - - -

In case there was any misreading of my last post, I would love a documentary that neither mocked us nor sensationalized us.

The main problem I have had with the documentaries I've seen is that they aren't about AB/DLs in general; they're about ONE single (sometimes very weird) AB/DL... It would be great to get a really wide variety of AB/DLs to deconstruct and identify the various components of AB/DL-ism.

I think a good documentary should start by explaining the "pure and innocent" side of being a "little kid" inside and what that means to various people on the emotional level (because I think that's where it would be easiest to gain public understanding, sympathy and tolerance), explaining the psychological needs that an AB might have... before going on to more "explicit" matters like using diapers and other items, the pure-DL fetish side, and those who live a "full time" fantasy (versus those who merely wear 24/7 but resist the urge to live a fantasy life 24/7).

It should show interviews with those who don't wear diapers, those who wear secretly once every week or two, and others who wear more often, as well as people at various stages of "public openness" -- those who have told no one, those who have told a partner, those who aren't "out" as such but don't hide their childish behaviour or diaper-wearing, and those who don't care who knows.

And, trying to "bring together" (at least to some extent) the disparate viewpoints of the interviewees, there should be a number of psychologists offering their differing opinions as to what might motivate someone to act or think in the ways shown. Why is the infantile mindset appealing? Why are diapers appealing? What experience are AB/DLs trying to recreate? What do caretakers get (if anything) out of looking after an AB? What are they looking for in an AB? What determines the age that someone's interest is sparked? What similarities and differences are there between the way a child is attached to a teddy bear, versus an AB?

So, yeah. My documentary would be about diversity -- in AB/DLs and in professional opinion. And, rather than focus entirely on the behaviours of AB/DLs, it would consider the mindset and psychological drives behind the behaviours.

And the title would not contain the words, "embarrassing, weird, strange, odd, unusual, bizarre, diapers, fetish, addiction, obsession, compulsion" or anything cringe-worthy or sounding like cheap prejudicial tabloid gutter journalism.