Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy?

Default To buy or not to buy?

So I bought some attends classic poly briefs from my local med store and this cute girl behind the cashier counter at a table gave me a funny look, smiled and continued reading her magazine while the cashier was finishing my purchase. Then I went back and bought 2 more bags A few days later because I loved them and a guy was cashier but that girl was there again! This time I was told they dont normally sell out of a case but the girl looked up and said "its ok, we did it the other day for him" smiled at me and looked back down at her book. Im now running low on my stash and debating on going back to that store. Do you think she knows Im the 1 wearing them?? The store is just 1 town over and I dont want to be like recognizable to her if she sees me at work or something. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Well, it depends on why she thinks you're wearing them... You could just buy a case and that would seem a lot less suspicious I suppose. Or else try going at different times of the day. She can't always be there.

Well clearly she remembered you but this doesn't mean she thinks they were for you. As long as she never acts or says anything that crosses the line I would just move on and not worry about the incident.

just buy them, for all she knows you work as a caregiver somewhere or its for a elder

Last time I checked, if you run a store that sell products the customer is entitled to buying whatever product they sell you. If that store didn't want you buying so many, then why on earth would they have that many for sale or the option to even buy that many at once? Because they do, you're entitled to the products you purchase and have broken no laws what-so-ever. You're safe and fine

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
    Last time I checked, if you run a store that sell products the customer is entitled to buying whatever product they sell you.
    As a private business you can refuse service to anyone for any reason not legally protected. (by anti-discrimination laws mostly) As a business owner, you're best off refusing without citing a reason. Once you give a reason, that can sometimes give the customer a little leverage to fight it. "I don't like you, get out of my store!" is about all it takes. Changing a word or two with "I don't like your type, get out of my store!" could land you in court.

Last time I checked, if you run a store that sell products the customer is entitled to buying whatever product they sell you. If that store didn't want you buying so many, then why on earth would they have that many for sale or the option to even buy that many at once? Because they do, you're entitled to the products you purchase and have broken no laws what-so-ever. You're safe and fine
    To me it sounded like the cashier wanted to sell the whole case and not partial. Its sounds like he was buying by the bag instead of the case, so I could see why that comment may have been made. The store may only sell cases, or 4 bags at a time, and may not usually allow people to open the case and buy lower quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    As a private business you can refuse service to anyone for any reason not legally protected. (by anti-discrimination laws mostly) As a business owner, you're best off refusing without citing a reason. Once you give a reason, that can sometimes give the customer a little leverage to fight it. "I don't like you, get out of my store!" is about all it takes. Changing a word or two with "I don't like your type, get out of my store!" could land you in court.
    So If I decide to not sell a can of soup to someone I'm in the right? Why? Why even sell stuff if that's how a business owner is going to act? To stay in business to you need to actually sell stuff, otherwise you lack money.

Plus, if you have a problem with a customer why not just call the cops and have them deal with it?

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    Right, stores are typically private property and an often set there own rules. However, they have no force of law behind them in enforcing any policy that is not already supported by law (such as shoplifting, trespass, etc). If someone is trespassed they may not be detained so leaving the property voluntary is not a problem.

Way a shop owner can legally do is not really the subject of this thread. A shop owner may deny service or access to the shop, but they open themselves up to two potential issues. First, someone that is denied can file suit. This is unlikely to go anywhere unless there is a stated purpose that is objectionable to a judge, or protected by law. Such suits often become very public spectacles that can substantially harm business. Second, and more significant to me is the idea of denying a customer when you are in the business of selling to customers.

Businesses do not go into business to just to turn paying customers away.

- - - Updated - - -

So If I decide to not sell a can of soup to someone I'm in the right? Why? Why even sell stuff if that's how a business owner is going to act? To stay in business to you need to actually sell stuff, otherwise you lack money.

Plus, if you have a problem with a customer why not just call the cops and have them deal with it?
    Good point, however you can not just call the cops on a customer just because you want to. They must be violating some law or trespassing, invited to leave and then refuse to leave. But yea, why would someone be in business only to turn the customers away.

While business owners may deny service and access they are still bound to treat customers in an equatable manner. This is where a shop could face possible legal consequences for refusing to sale me a can of soup or a bag of diapers that they allowed someone else to purchase. As long as there is no legal qualification to make the purchase and any terms (like limits) are clearly posted I must be permitted to purchase the same item my neighbor is permitted to purchase.

A good example of an item that some in our community like to use would be catheters. Catheters are sold by prescription as far as I recall.