Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hello everyone!

I joined a while ago but thought it was only right that I introduce myself. That, and Moo said I'd become a lurker. :P

Well, a bit about myself: I'm Charlie - or that's what you can call me anyway . 24 years-old, gay and a DL.

I live in east London (England, not Ontario!) and work as a local government bureaucrat.

I suppose I joined because I was interested in hearing other people's experiences.

In my spare time, I like reading (but I don't do enough), watching good American TV (of which I do too much) and playing with my Apple devices (yes, I'm an Apple fanboy ). I also have an avid interest of UK politics. Sometimes bordering on an unhealthy obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBr0wn View Post
    Hello everyone!

I joined a while ago but thought it was only right that I introduce myself. That, and Moo said I'd become a lurker. :P

Well, a bit about myself: I'm Charlie - or that's what you can call me anyway . 24 years-old, gay and a DL.

I live in east London (England, not Ontario!) and work as a local government bureaucrat.

I suppose I joined because I was interested in hearing other people's experiences.

In my spare time, I like reading (but I don't do enough), watching good American TV (of which I do too much) and playing with my Apple devices (yes, I'm an Apple fanboy ). I also have an avid interest of UK politics. Sometimes bordering on an unhealthy obsession.

Hi Charlie Welcome to ADISC.

What they have east London in Ontario?. So what kind of book you usually read? Well I'm more to non-fiction book but sometimes I enjoy Thriller novel. So what kind of yanks show you watched? To be honest I'm watching them too much actually but yeah I enjoy them a lot. Oh yeah beside yanks show I also like Top Gear. Well I also like politics although more to an International one sometimes I'm talking about British politics as well.

Anyway I hope you enjoy ADISC and I hope we can see each other more in here

Thanks for the welcome Archer

Well they have a London in Ontario; I assume one part of it is in the east!

My bookshelf evolves a lot as I buy some, sell some, borrow some, loan some out etc... But at the moment I have a Roald Dahl boxset, a few books by Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, political biographies, political theory, travel books, books on the English language and books on public policy. And my Harry Potters!

In terms of TV, The Wire was the best show. Ever. In the world. Ever.

I'm currently watching How I Met Your Mother, White Collar, Community, The Walking Dead and Suits. I've also started watching a new show called Revolution.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure we'll see lots of each other in the forum.

... and playing with my Apple devices (yes, I'm an Apple fanboy ). ...
    Yay, me too! What do you have? What's your favorite device or os/app/game?

Lindt

My bookshelf evolves a lot as I buy some, sell some, borrow some, loan some out etc... But at the moment I have a Roald Dahl boxset, a few books by Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, political biographies, political theory, travel books, books on the English language and books on public policy. And my Harry Potters!

I'm currently watching How I Met Your Mother, White Collar, Community, The Walking Dead and Suits. I've also started watching a new show called Revolution.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure we'll see lots of each other in the forum.
    Oh man. I assume with Ludlum that implies Bourne? If so, I'm a fan. Harry Potter a childhood classic for me as well!
    And as far as TV goes, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER IS FANTASTIC. I SALUTE YOU SIR. Community also happens to be in my top 10.
    You seem like a pretty cool guy! Welcome to the site and see you around I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    Yay, me too! What do you have? What's your favorite device or os/app/game?
    I thought I replied to this last night! I have an iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and an iMac...

My favourite device is my iPhone. It runs my life. But my MacBook comes a very close second.

My favourite games are Plants vs Zombies and Tower Madness. You have to play them on your iPad to get the full experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindt View Post
    Oh man. I assume with Ludlum that implies Bourne? If so, I'm a fan. Harry Potter a childhood classic for me as well!
    And as far as TV goes, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER IS FANTASTIC. I SALUTE YOU SIR. Community also happens to be in my top 10.
    You seem like a pretty cool guy! Welcome to the site and see you around I suppose.
    Yes, the one and the same. Discovered him by accident when about 10 years ago. Loved his writing since.

I absolutely love Barney Stinson. My friends all say he reminds them of me because I'm often found wearing a suit.

Thanks for the welcome Archer

Well they have a London in Ontario; I assume one part of it is in the east!

You're Welcome Charlie

Ah yes my bookshelf is a mess. And I usually put my favorite books not in bookshelf but scattered all over my rooms(Well I'm teen). Oh recently I finished(second times) reading Iran-Iraq War in the Air 1980-1988. I kinda like military history. And yeah in my shelf is books about Criminal Gangs, history of war(particularly WWII), military equipment, biographies, international politics, Islam, conspiracies theories, and Thriller novels.

Well I'm huge fan of Archer, Burn Notice, Law&Order: SVU, 30 Rock, Louie, and recently I've watched Last Resort. Hey I like Community as well.

Oh yeah Charlie I know you are into UK Politics. I hear it on RT that Scotland wants independence from UK. It's that true? I mean what is going to happen if they're separate from UK?

Yeah I'm hope so. Have good day
    Archer

Default Re: Hello!

Welcome Charlie.

If you like The Walking Dead, check out Fallen Skies. It's The Waffling Dead with Aliens. Good show.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    You're Welcome Charlie

Ah yes my bookshelf is a mess. And I usually put my favorite books not in bookshelf but scattered all over my rooms(Well I'm teen). Oh recently I finished(second times) reading Iran-Iraq War in the Air 1980-1988. I kinda like military history. And yeah in my shelf is books about Criminal Gangs, history of war(particularly WWII), military equipment, biographies, international politics, Islam, conspiracies theories, and Thriller novels.

Well I'm huge fan of Archer, Burn Notice, Law&Order: SVU, 30 Rock, Louie, and recently I've watched Last Resort. Hey I like Community as well.

Oh yeah Charlie I know you are into UK Politics. I hear it on RT that Scotland wants independence from UK. It's that true? I mean what is going to happen if they're separate from UK?

Yeah I'm hope so. Have good day
    Archer
    I also have books on Islam - I'm not Muslim but my family are and I've always maintained an interest in Islam. Especially in relation to fiqh. I also have some books that are sort of on international politics and war - primarily on the Middle East conflict (Israel/Palestine).

I love 30 Rock. I want Tina Fey to adopt me. :P

Ah, the Scottish question. Basically, there are a large group of people in Scotland who want independence - not a majority but a very large minority. Scotland has a devolved government. This means that the Scottish people elect representatives to a body that has separate powers to the British Parliament (who they also elect representatives to) over a wide range of issues including farming/fishing, police and criminal justice, education, health and fire. The current governing party (Scottish National Party) have Scottish independence as one of the central planks of their political beliefs. They've been pushing hard for it and have now agreed with the British government that a referendum can take place on the question of independence.

In all honesty, I don't think a majority of Scottish people will vote for independence. Scotland has been an integral part of the UK for a number of centuries now. What I do think should happen is 'devo-max'. The maximum number of powers should be given to the Scottish Parliament so that they can be more autonomous. Almost like a federal structure - with minimal interference form the UK Parliament expect in issues such as foreign policy, defence of the realm, fiscal unity etc.

If Scotland were to become independent, it would make the rest of the UK a very conservative country. Aside form large pockets of people in urban areas, most of the UK is somewhat conservative and that would mean, essentially, a Tory government for life! The Tories in England are counter-balanced with the progressives (of various parties) in Scotland. There are questions about what it would mean for Scotland itself. It doesn't have a particularly large tax base - there are more people in London and Jakarta than there are in the whole of Scotland. But it does have some industry (although a lot are run by/for the British Government - e.g. submarine bases and shipyards) and natural resources. They've also spoken about possibly joining the Euro although the recent goings-on might have put the kibosh on that.

In all honesty, if Scotland split from the UK, I might have to move there. I can't bear the thought of living under a perpetual conservative government!

Here's the Cliff Notes version:
    Scotland are having a vote on whether or not they should become independent.
    I don't think the result will be yes but it will be quite close.
    I don't think it's a good idea due to their not-so-big tax base and general economy. That, and they often help to keep conservative governments at bay!
    However, they might just pull it off.

If you want to know anything else, just ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BabySteve View Post
    Welcome Charlie.

If you like The Walking Dead, check out Fallen Skies. It's The Waffling Dead with Aliens. Good show.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The Waffling Dead, I don't think the walking dead say much, let alone waffle. I jest.

I saw an advert for Fallen Skies a few days ago actually. In all honesty, I'm not big on aliens... But I'll give it a shot as it comes highly recommended.

I also have books on Islam - I'm not Muslim but my family are and I've always maintained an interest in Islam. Especially in relation to fiqh. I also have some books that are sort of on international politics and war - primarily on the Middle East conflict (Israel/Palestine).

I love 30 Rock. I want Tina Fey to adopt me. :P

Ah, the Scottish question. Basically, there are a large group of people in Scotland who want independence - not a majority but a very large minority. Scotland has a devolved government. This means that the Scottish people elect representatives to a body that has separate powers to the British Parliament (who they also elect representatives to) over a wide range of issues including farming/fishing, police and criminal justice, education, health and fire. The current governing party (Scottish National Party) have Scottish independence as one of the central planks of their political beliefs. They've been pushing hard for it and have now agreed with the British government that a referendum can take place on the question of independence.

In all honesty, I don't think a majority of Scottish people will vote for independence. Scotland has been an integral part of the UK for a number of centuries now. What I do think should happen is 'devo-max'. The maximum number of powers should be given to the Scottish Parliament so that they can be more autonomous. Almost like a federal structure - with minimal interference form the UK Parliament expect in issues such as foreign policy, defence of the realm, fiscal unity etc.

If Scotland were to become independent, it would make the rest of the UK a very conservative country. Aside form large pockets of people in urban areas, most of the UK is somewhat conservative and that would mean, essentially, a Tory government for life! The Tories in England are counter-balanced with the progressives (of various parties) in Scotland. There are questions about what it would mean for Scotland itself. It doesn't have a particularly large tax base - there are more people in London and Jakarta than there are in the whole of Scotland. But it does have some industry (although a lot are run by/for the British Government - e.g. submarine bases and shipyards) and natural resources. They've also spoken about possibly joining the Euro although the recent goings-on might have put the kibosh on that.

In all honesty, if Scotland split from the UK, I might have to move there. I can't bear the thought of living under a perpetual conservative government!

Here's the Cliff Notes version:
    Scotland are having a vote on whether or not they should become independent.
    I don't think the result will be yes but it will be quite close.
    I don't think it's a good idea due to their not-so-big tax base and general economy. That, and they often help to keep conservative governments at bay!
    However, they might just pull it off.

If you want to know anything else, just ask.
    Hmm that is interesting and yes fiqh is an interesting subjects to learn. Well if we want talk about mid-east conflicts it would take forever. I mean basically it's because of extremist at both sides really.

hahaha Nice.

Oh thanks yeah if I need to know something about UK politics then I know who the ones to contact.

So your personal views is that most Scottish might have not opted for independence?

Well I mean it's kinda waste really if Scotland wants to be independent. I mean they have been a part of UK in a long times. And afterall what's the benefit for scotland people? Well whatever that happens though just wishing for the best.