Thread: Leaking Baby Bottles

PaddedPuppy

Default Leaking Baby Bottles

Early this year I got a 3 pack of Avent bottles. All 3 of them leaked, About a month ago, at the other side of the country I bought another pack, thinking maybe it was just a faulty pack, these ones also leaked, more than the first pack did.

I looked online and someone said you have to get the fins set in the right place for the correct air flow without leaking. I checked that but it doesn't apply to these, as they are newer and have a special ring that is supposed to prevent leaking.

Also I tried screwing the top very tight, or a little loose, but still leaking either way.

Any suggestions?

any new bottle the seal ring is not set. take the ring or nipple rubber and set it in boiling water for about a minute. this will soften it and it will seal right without over tightning the seal should be warm when doing this.

With my playrex insert one I don't have a issue with it leaking at the collar, but the nipples will let out a slow drip leak. This is why I prefer playtex insulator cups they don't leak at all ever. Plus are much cuter, easier to drink from and functional since they don't spill.

you know that plumbers tape that seals the shower faucet its white and gets alll gummy when you screw the seal shut , it seems to stop leaks pretty well. -- troll

if I tried the same brand of bottles and it leaked on me twice I would consider switching brands, not purchase locations.

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by katylynn View Post
    any new bottle the seal ring is not set. take the ring or nipple rubber and set it in boiling water for about a minute. this will soften it and it will seal right without over tightning the seal should be warm when doing this.
    I have tried that, as before using I disassemble it all and put it in boiling water. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    With my playtex insert one I don't have a issue with it leaking at the collar, but the nipples will let out a slow drip leak. This is why I prefer playtex insulator cups they don't leak at all ever. Plus are much cuter, easier to drink from and functional since they don't spill.
    I don't think I ever come across playtex in the UK, but I have heard of the brand and the idea behind the special bag, which seems to make sense. If anyone in the UK knows where you can buy this brand if they are available at all, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by coboy View Post
    you know that plumbers tape that seals the shower faucet its white and gets alll gummy when you screw the seal shut , it seems to stop leaks pretty well. -- troll

if I tried the same brand of bottles and it leaked on me twice I would consider switching brands, not purchase locations.
    Yes, I just thought maybe it was a faulty pack I bought, as I see loads of babies with these bottles so guessed this was a one-off. When I was at the other side of the country a few months later I saw them on special offer, and decided to give them another try.

I probably won't be purchasing them again, but would still like to know what was causing this leak, as like I said I know they are popular bottles, and not everyone seems to have this issue.

Are you sure you are putting the nipples correctly into the plastic rings? The rubber nipple usually has a little crease or ridge formed into it. The nipple has to be pushed or pulled into the plastic lid ring past this crease/ridge to get it properly seated into the ring. Usually if you pull on it a little, you'll feel it kinda pop or settle into the crease or get past the ridge. If you don't get it properly into the crease or past the ridge it will leak! I have taken a couple of pictures to show the difference. Of course this is just one type of bottle, but they all have some sort of similar thing to make sure the nipple is properly set into the ring so that there are no leaks!

The first pic is not properly seated. The second one is properly seated.

PaddedPuppy

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJessi View Post
    Are you sure you are putting the nipples correctly into the plastic rings? The rubber nipple usually has a little crease or ridge formed into it. The nipple has to be pushed or pulled into the plastic lid ring past this crease/ridge to get it properly seated into the ring. Usually if you pull on it a little, you'll feel it kinda pop or settle into the crease or get past the ridge. If you don't get it properly into the crease or past the ridge it will leak! I have taken a couple of pictures to show the difference. Of course this is just one type of bottle, but they all have some sort of similar thing to make sure the nipple is properly set into the ring so that there are no leaks!

The first pic is not properly seated. The second one is properly seated.

Yes, I checked all of that. I always pulled the teat all the way through the plastic ring. But inside the plastic ring is a small rubber ring. That is supposed to fit into the bottom of the teat, and reach down to the neck of the bottle. It is supposed to stop the leaking and let air flow through. And that just doesn't work like it should.

I just bought a 3 pack of Nuby's that come in 3 different colors and they're great. They don't leak because they have no flow rate, it depends on the individual. Nuby non-drip, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Although I'm not personally into the bottle aspect of ABDL, I'll chime in from a parent's perspective. Avent bottles are a flipping nightmare. I hate that stupid ring. It's confusing, badly thought out and all it did was make leaky messes everywhere. Particularly at 3AM. In terms of functionality, I will vouch for the Playtex brand, particularly the wide-nipple bottles. If you're not for buying the little pouches, the vent-aires work well too. Bonus points if you get the Munchkin brand dishwasher basket.