Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloth + Plastic pants vs Disposable

Default Cloth + Plastic pants vs Disposable

It's been literally years since I have worn cloth... back when DPF was in it's prime and I bought a cloth diaper and plastic pants somehow through them...

The main reason I even gave cloth/plastic pants a try when I grew up on the classic plastic disposable diapers was due to a strange curiosity and also the cost....

A cloth diaper just needs to be washed. It can be re-used and washed by hand in a bind for even less money. Vs. disposables that can cost more than $2.00 per diaper if it's high end!!!!

So I wanted to get some input from those that use cloth diapers regularly... and hear how well it works for them / saves money and also which is the best to look out for?

In my case it would be a Male, 30-32 waist. I don't wet heavily but it would be nice to have extra padding just in case.

Like I said, I did have one diaper but I was in my teens when I bought it and don't remember much now...

- Mitchy

I have'nt tryed them but, I have been thinking that I should, and buy the disposables for when I'm out cause like you said disposables are expensive.

If there is a big void in this area maybe I should dig deep and review the cloth diaper scene....

Thats sounds like a good idea, I'll have to do that to.

- - - Updated - - -

Your right I can't reply back yet, but that sounds good but, my wifi has been going in and out so I might not be in contact for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post
    It's been literally years since I have worn cloth... back when DPF was in it's prime and I bought a cloth diaper and plastic pants somehow through them...

The main reason I even gave cloth/plastic pants a try when I grew up on the classic plastic disposable diapers was due to a strange curiosity and also the cost....

A cloth diaper just needs to be washed. It can be re-used and washed by hand in a bind for even less money. Vs. disposables that can cost more than $2.00 per diaper if it's high end!!!!

So I wanted to get some input from those that use cloth diapers regularly... and hear how well it works for them / saves money and also which is the best to look out for?

In my case it would be a Male, 30-32 waist. I don't wet heavily but it would be nice to have extra padding just in case.

Like I said, I did have one diaper but I was in my teens when I bought it and don't remember much now...

- Mitchy
    Have you given the All About Cloth Diapers article a read yet?

As for me, cloth diapers work great for me, to the point where when I pad up, it's with cloth 95 percent of the time. I use flat, non-prefold squares that I fold into a kite fold, layered to my own preference. I can do a thin diaper for going out and about, or I can do a thick diaper for bedtime, or I can do a massive diaper over which I can't even wear sweatpants. I've worn cloth to work before, and I've changed cloth at work, as well. It's all very doable.

So what exactly are you looking to find out? I am a big fan of cloth, to be sure. I'd say give the article a read if you haven't yet, and if there's still something you're looking for, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy
    ...saves money...
    I'll wager that the number of people on ADISC who choose cloth diapers for economic reasons is truly minescule. It's true that, for those who wear very often, cloth diapers can represent a significant savings. That said, most of us here are wearing by choice alone, and that suggests we aren't simply after function, but also feel, appearance, and other factors. Consequently, I suspect some of the cloth wearers here have actually spent a good deal more money on cloth diapers than they would would have on disposables, because they've probably bought a few... dozen!... diapers that turned out not to be their favorites. Experimentation in the cloth world is very expensive, and at the same time no less necessary than with disposables, IMO. I've easily spent $300-400 on cloth diapers that I don't wear often because I've found others to be better (more appealing to my fetish side, not from a functional standpoint), and as I'm only wearing a few times each week, it will take a long time to justify that cost.

With cloth diapers, there is definitely a balance to be found between cost, ease of care, and ease of use. More traditional types like flats and prefolds will be cheaper, easier to wash/dry, but require a bit more work to use, as you can't simply tape them on like a disposable. All-in-one diapers are much more expensive, less durable (e.g., some can't go in the dryer), but go on just like disposables. Again, if you're unsure of what's best for you, then you'll need to be prepared to spend some time and money figuring that out. Cloth is not automatically cheaper, especially not if you have a diaper fetish and are inclined to nitpick.

I often wear 2 layered terry pull ups and double up or even triple up overnight, I find this to be cheaper than disposables as I wear every night. I do also buy Tena slip (maxi medium) as they are thinner/less bulky for during the day when there is less possibility of getting to the loo in time. The only bad thing about terry pull ups is the drying, I always have two or three pairs drying on the rack over the cooking range. These I have to put away or hide if someone visits.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post
    If there is a big void in this area...
    Groan! Was that a deliberate pun?!

I've worn both. I find cloth diapers to be really soft and bulky which is nice. And Cottontail is correct, be prepared to spend a ton. I have spent a lot on cloth diapers, plastic pants, velcro diapers, AIO (All-In-One) diapers all sorts before I found ones that I really liked. And although I have some that I really like. I rarely use them anymore. I find the cleanup to be a PITA. It's not something I like to spend my time doing. I have even done velcro cloth diapers with plastic pants at work a few years ago, that was fun, but again difficult at times.

Cloth is something I like to explore as a special accessory once in a while, or If I forget to re-order my disposables and am getting ready for bed and dont have any left Then I use cloth. I used to do it a lot more, but again, the washing bit...

But I also find many of todays Adult Baby disposables really Cute, decently thick, and I like disposables too. Not just because they are much easier to clean up. I actually like both cloth and disposable, but I am biast to the cute baby print disposables.

So all in all, cloth is really fun to have and use, but I don't consider it cheaper. But I would recommend trying it if you have any interest whatsoever.

Personally I hate cloth diapers. When I have used them they are terrible. I hate how wet I feel all the time. Plus they always leak. I hated the plastic pants. I all around just hate them. Even though I guess they are cheaper in a way but I still do not like using them. My sister used cloth diapers for her son and when they lived with us the entire laundry room smelled of wet diapers and it was horrible. I do not have the laundry facility to do cloth but even then I wouldn't use cloth. And for the most part I use the best disposable diapers and they are never $2.00. They tend to run around 1.60-1.80.