View Poll Results: who is in the right?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • google

15 46.88%
  • everybody opposed to what google is doing

17 53.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: google's attempt at controlling the internet.

babyDavid

Default google's attempt at controlling the internet.

i think this is actually my first Mature Topics post, because i dont usually tend to be very mature, but hear me out on this.

up until recently, there has existed third party websites that allow you to take a Youtube video's URL and they would turn it into a downloadable mp3 file, so that you could listen to it on your ipod or in my case, my web-enabled Blackberry Torch. a few weeks/months ago, Google began to take action against these third parties, threatening them to stop allowing for it, their argument being about copyright rules. and sadly, these third party websites surrendered and did as google demanded.

now, obviously, this is absurd. its bad enough that google just a few days ago forced all gmail accounts to be made public, but combined with their attack on third party recording websites, they are beginning to take control of the last free place on earth, the internet.

now, dont get me wrong, i'm all for protecting private media property, but didnt people used to record things on their tv all the time? people used to stick these old things called Video Casettes into the VCR and record any tv show/news clip/ other media that they wanted to, and it wasnt a violation of any copyright laws, because all they were doing was recording it, NOT DISTRIBUTING IT.

we do the same thing today, dont we? we record things on DirectTv, Verizon, and Time Warner Cable all the time on our DVRs, and its fine and perfectly okay. its no different with youtube-mp3.com or any of the others that are out there, because its staying with the recipient, not being distributed, and yet google is basically trying to make their own law stating that recording youtube audio clips is now a CRIMINAL ACT.

please tell me i'm not the only one who see's whats going on here. google is taking control of the internet, partly because they have the nerds to do it, and partly because nobody is doing anything to stop them. fortunately there's this: Petition | .@Youtube & @GoogleDE : Allow third party recording tools for YouTube #FreedomOnYoutube | Change.org . it would really help out a lot. they didnt ask me to do this, so dont think for one second that this is just me 'copying' and 'pasting' some news article, because its not. it scares me that google is doing this. it scares me that google can do this. and it very much infuriates me that they get in the way of the freedom we have on the world wide web.

i'll add a poll just for the hell of it: who thinks that google is in the right of these copyright actions? who thinks they are in the wrong and are obstructing international freedoms?

and of course, if you do choose to sign it, obviously dont say anything like 'somg guy on adisc asked me to' cuz that would be catastrophic to all of us.

Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by babyDavid
    who thinks that google is in the right of these copyright actions?
    I do. Google owns YouTube; it's their property. If they don't want others doing something to their property (i.e., converting their videos into mp3 files), then they are free to try to stop them.

I should add that I use these mp3 converters on occasion, so I suppose I'm somewhat hypocritical in that I hold a belief yet commit actions opposed to that belief. I think it would be great if there were a unambiguously legal and free way to download music online, but there isn't (to the best of my knowledge), so I guess I go against my beliefs in order to get some free music.

Cygnus

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    I think it would be great if there were a unambiguously legal and free way to download music online, but there isn't (to the best of my knowledge), so I guess I go against my beliefs in order to get some free music.
    There are many artists that choose to put their music up for free download, remixing, etc. Granted, these aren't popular artists because usually artists only get popular with the help of a label, but it's still cpletely free music

I know there's probably more than this, but the two I use are Free Music Archive and Jamendo - The #1 platform for free music. Free music downloads for private use - Royalty free music licenses for commercial purposes. More than 55,000 albums by independent artists.

To the original question, yes, it sucks. Money rules the world. Artists that just want to share their art with the world don't get popular, and artists that want to make money or just be heard have to sign to a label, a level that wants to make as much money as possible. Such is where we're at.

If we could get a bunch of popular artists to switch over to creative commons, we might be able to change the status quo, but for now, no such luck.

A company's only goal is to make money, I don't blame google for doing that. I think that artists should rethink what art is and how to make money off of their talents. In my opinion, that's the only way we're going to get free music.

Supersam1223

I think they're right to do so. They, and the creators of those videos own the material, so they have every right to protect it.

Downloading the videos is no different to downloading music, illegally, for free, or illegally downloading/pirating movies. It is theft, and last time I checked, it was illegal. I don't know about the US, but in the UK, there is legislation that means the government can cut off your Internet connection if you are caught illegally downloading music or films.

I don't think that anyone can disagree with what Google is doing. But if you can, and are willing to, justify theft then go ahead. I'm all ears.

Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    There are many artists that choose to put their music up for free download, remixing, etc. Granted, these aren't popular artists because usually artists only get popular with the help of a label, but it's still cpletely free music

I know there's probably more than this, but the two I use are Free Music Archive and Jamendo - The #1 platform for free music. Free music downloads for private use - Royalty free music licenses for commercial purposes. More than 55,000 albums by independent artists.
    Thanks for the links! I'll check them out.

babyDavid

first off, i'm having trouble fully gripping the sheer audacity that the british government has in deciding they can cut off a citizen's internet, reguardless of the reasons for it. and secondly, i dont think any of the US's broadcasting corporations ever got angry people were recording things via VHS. as long as it stayed in that one home/entity, then it was/still is fine. its no different with this. its like is motion picture companies were to somehow deem memes illigal just because they containimages from their media. ridiculous...
    i'm mostly angry because i can no longer get music, but it also brings up the point that google is not the ruler of the internet. they should leave well enough alone and do their job, which is simply being a liason, thats it. just point us to the site we're looking for and be done with it.

Youtube to mp3 is a shitty service anyway. Audio that's been transcoded a minimum of three times? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    Youtube to mp3 is a shitty service anyway. Audio that's been transcoded a minimum of three times? No thanks.
    People always say this.

Honestly I can't tell the difference between ripping off youtube and buying off itunes, if there is any loss in quality, I certainly have never been able to tell.

Supersam1223

I don't see any audacity in our government in that legislation. It's a crime. You're stealing from the artist(s) who created the media, and crimes should be punished, it's no different from going into a shop on the street and stealing something. Removing the person's ability to download illegally (i.e. the Internet) is both a punishment and a preventative measure. I think that it is fair enough; people should be prepared to face the consequence of their actions.

babyDavid

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    People always say this.

Honestly I can't tell the difference between ripping off youtube and buying off itunes, if there is any loss in quality, I certainly have never been able to tell.
    me neither, it sounds the same to me o.o it was fast and easy, too. which is why i could do it from my phone and it still sounded good