Thread: Why the differences in baby diaper sizing?

Default Why the differences in baby diaper sizing?

I've been doing some research on this for non-*B/DL story-writing purposes, and I've noticed a HUGE difference in "size 6" toddler/child weight range for Huggies and Pampers between North America and the UK. In North America Huggies size 6 is listed as 35+lbs, whereas in the UK, the size that they call size 6 can fit young primary school children up to around 66lbs! I cannot see a North American child attending fourth grade wearing a size 6 Huggies diaper, but in the UK a year five student wearing a size 6 Huggies nappy seems somewhat doable.....and a child would seem to be growing into a "youth" diaper sooner in North America......which is odd because up until recently it was the UK kids being taught to use the potty sooner than those in North America (18mos-2yrs avg in UK, 2 1/2yrs-3yrs avg North America, from what I've read). So why is this difference so drastic? Although I'm not saying it's ideal shouldn't NA have the bigger sizes? Opinions, facts on the diffs, guys?

I wonder if a UK size 6 is actually the same size as a US size 6? But yes, I would have thought the US ones ought to run bigger for exactly the reasons you say.

I'll try to remember to dig it up later, but somebody here posted measurements of the UK Pampers Active Fit diapers, and they're no larger than the US diapers, despite that the weight of the target baby/toddler is much larger. So either the UK diaper marketing department has a very liberal definition of "fit," or the North American one has a conservative definition.

Quote Originally Posted by memorychick View Post
    HUGE difference in "size 6" toddler/child weight range for Huggies and Pampers between North America and the UK. In North America Huggies size 6 is listed as 35+lbs, whereas in the UK, the size that they call size 6 can fit young primary school children up to around 66lbs! I cannot see a North American child attending fourth grade wearing a size 6 Huggies diaper, but in the UK a year five student wearing a size 6 Huggies nappy seems somewhat doable.....and a child would seem to be growing into a "youth" diaper sooner in North America....... So why is this difference so drastic? Although I'm not saying it's ideal shouldn't NA have the bigger sizes? Opinions, facts on the diffs, guys?
    Yes I have found this to be a little weird myself when I learned the new Slip-On diapers from Huggie were availible in Size 6 in the UK.

I think that answer might have to do with:
    A) UK's view on diaper in the social setting
    and
    B) Average Weight/Size of the average tot

It might be true that in the UK potty training would start earlier compared to a kid in the states but there might be a bigger timeline of when the child finally learns to hold it in to use a toilet leaving the parents to either use Pull-Ups or Tape till the time being, this could lead to the companies releasing bigger versions of the Size 6 to the UK. Dunno Like I made clear this is just my opinion, It could be way off.

The other thing is the different regions can have a different size and weight average for kids who generally wear diapers meaning if UK tots are bigger and heavier than kids from the US then it would be logical to release products that will work for the UK and not just send the same product that they give the US

Anyways yeah that is a tad bit weird

it seems to depends on which model Pampers we're talking about: the 'active fit' seem to stretch up to 60lbs, whilst the 'baby-dry' go up to 35lbs; this despite there being no difference in the actual size of the garment, as far as i'm aware.

to be honest, though, it's years since i last saw and heard the commotion that surrounded a young child who had suddenly wet themselves, leaving a puddle on the [shop] floor for some poor sod to clean up......so, maybe it is best that kids wear diapers/pull-up for longer???
    like, OMG!, don't you just hate those mothers who claim that their kid is toilet-trained, "except for the occasional accident"! aren't dogs banned from shops for that very reason?