Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Laptops

Default Gaming Laptops

Within a few months, I plan on purchasing a new gaming system. I figured I'd start doing some research now, so I can be better prepared.

Anyway, after thinking about my usage model, space requirements, etc, I decided that a desktop is not the right machine for me at this time. Anyway, for my laptop, I want to look to the very high end, possibly even multiple GPUs if that will extend the useful life of the machine. What I'm looking for isn't necessarily to max out future games, but to not have to worry about future games running like poo for as long as possible. (IE, 1080P + medium settings and better for the next 4-5 years)

As for weight and size, I'm sure the biggest laptops today aren't any heavier than the HP ZD8000 I used to lug around in college, so I know what to expect from such a machine. Battery life is important though, so the ability to shut down the dGPU and even underclock the cpu when it's not under heavy load are both ideal.

Some models I have been looking at include the Alienware M18x and the Sager NP9370, particularly with the Radeon 7970 Crossfire. Any other laptops to check out as well?

Also, another question I have is the financing. I have no credit, and as I still live with the parents and have no other financial obligation, I'm thinking this may be a good opportunity to get a decent credit score going. I can put down up to $1500 as a down payment, and I can pay $250+ a month, so even with a 3K lappy, I can still pay it off in under 10 months. Would such an arrangement be possible and worthwhile, or am I better holding off until I can pay upfront.

Anyway, thanks for advice, and on a final note, anyone who suggests a Mac will get shot.

No. Gaming laptop is a bad idea unless you are able to obtain a super extremely long warranty and be prepared to be out of a computer while you ship the old one back.

Laptop technology is not the same as your standard, controlled, well thought out ATX motherboard set ups.

My bottom line? If you are getting a gaming laptop, plan for a 5+ year warranty. It will fail well within 5 years.

My recommendation? A gaming desktop computer, custom built, with a handle on the top of the case. ;-)

I am sorry, laptops are bad. I cannot in good consciousness recommend a laptop for gaming unless you have money to waste. literally, waste.

Laptops are proprietary hardware. They overheat. It's all crammed in there. It's a bad idea.

Most retailers use HBC for credit. as long as you dont have any bad credit they should be able to give u a minimum of 300.00 credit. i know that sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post
    No. Gaming laptop is a bad idea unless you are able to obtain a super extremely long warranty and be prepared to be out of a computer while you ship the old one back.

Laptop technology is not the same as your standard, controlled, well thought out ATX motherboard set ups.

My bottom line? If you are getting a gaming laptop, plan for a 5+ year warranty. It will fail well within 5 years.

My recommendation? A gaming desktop computer, custom built, with a handle on the top of the case. ;-)

I am sorry, laptops are bad. I cannot in good consciousness recommend a laptop for gaming unless you have money to waste. literally, waste.

Laptops are proprietary hardware. They overheat. It's all crammed in there. It's a bad idea.

Most retailers use HBC for credit. as long as you dont have any bad credit they should be able to give u a minimum of 300.00 credit. i know that sucks...
    As I said, a desktop isn't the right machine due to varying factors, one of which being that me and one of my siblings are going to be sharing a room. Heck, there's barely room for a desk when factoring only one bed. In addition, I'm none too find of being confined to a desk when gaming anyway. In addition to gaming, I also use the UDK pretty extensively, which requires a hefy chunk of GPU power.

And finally, I've seen a friend's alienware with an overclocked GTX 680M have a load temp much lower than the standard clocked GTX670 in his desktop. So to say they all overheat is a biased statement overall.

The fan speeds on these video cards also always stays the same,(Making the fan speed up makes too much noise oh boo hoo!!!!) and the heat within a laptop is transferred in a compressed area, making it affect important components of the computer vs a desktop where the heat may only exist on the gpu itself. If you run software from xtremetunerplus, you can control the gpu's fan speed.

The bottom line is alienware is the highest gaming laptop you will most likely be able to get, but I wouldn't do it without an extended warranty, and it must be 5+ years covering anything... I think they offer a 6+ year warranty. Best bet is to contact dell.

Dell also will wipe the laptop clean when you send it in, so make sure you constantly back up important information. Once it's shipped back to dell, it's gone. Just like Best buy. They don't repair computers, they format them and sell you new versions of windows... cause... well... they gotta make money. I can't even get Best Buy to hire me because I am apparently over qualified... because I can actually fix software problems.

I really do care and I am trying to help you. My 2 cents is the warranty is probably more important than anything when a laptop is the purchase.

alienware care is the best i have seen, depends upon the support pack but noramlly they ship you the replacement part next day for you to fit or you can have it fitted but that takes longer. the m18x is they way to go in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post
    The fan speeds on these video cards also always stays the same,(Making the fan speed up makes too much noise oh boo hoo!!!!) and the heat within a laptop is transferred in a compressed area, making it affect important components of the computer vs a desktop where the heat may only exist on the gpu itself. If you run software from xtremetunerplus, you can control the gpu's fan speed.

The bottom line is alienware is the highest gaming laptop you will most likely be able to get, but I wouldn't do it without an extended warranty, and it must be 5+ years covering anything... I think they offer a 6+ year warranty. Best bet is to contact dell.
    Alienware seems to be pretty decent quality, albeit, expensive. I don't know about Sager, or of any other brands, but the kid in me likes the LEDs. :P

The only thing that does bother me about alienware is the price of drive upgrades. I always knew it would be cheaper to upgrade the drives myself, but the gouging here is apparent. I'll probably just stick to a single SSD for booting, and then add a TB drive later on.

Among high end laptops, I agree it's definitely a good idea to get a lengthy warranty. My biggest issue apart from possible heat problems, especially with a flashy laptop like alienware, is the increased chance for theft. As a rule, I never leave anything of mine unattended in a public place/college, even for something as quick as a bathroom break. However, you'd be surprised how many people would ask you to watch their laptops when they go themselves. Perhaps other's lack of security would keep thieves from looking at my laptop.

And software issues, I solve those for other people as well as myself. Anyway, thanks for your $0.02. Every little bit of info helps with such a purchase.

Also, how's the drivers on AMD side of things. I heard the 7970M is a close match to the GTX680M, but in a multi-gpu config, I've heard that Crossfire was pretty buggy. Any better now, or still having issues? If it's bad enough, I might have to consider dual GTX 675s as the 680's are too expensive, even for a gaming lappy.
    Last edited by Saphiron; 01-Oct-2012 at 20:09.

Even alienware is effected by the craptastic quality of dells now.

If you buy anything laptop other than lenovo, i agree with mitch. Make sure you buy one hell of a warranty to go along with it.

If i were you, i would get a moderate quality laptop for now and save your money for when you can build a real gaming desktop at a later time.

I was looking for laptops awhile ago, and most of them were out of my price range, but heard great things about Sager (and there may be another company as well, I forget now). Anyways, it seems odd that a lot of people here are so in love with Alienware, when elsewhere it more then seemed like Alienware was considered overpriced for what you get, and not as good as Sager.

All I can say is go look at laptop sites, reviews, etc. One of the forums I was on had manufacturer boards, as well as a section you could specify what you wanted and your price range and get some help in figure out the mess of numbers.

I'd try to avoid ASUS, so far I've only had one problem with them but the companies they use for warranty are utter crapshoots. The biggest issue is the power pin is flawed and apparently they really don't care to fix it, at least last I had heard (maybe they have in some models now?). *shrugs*

Supersam1223

Default Gaming Laptops

You could do a custom build. If I recall correctly there are several websites that do custom built laptops if you are unsure of how to go about doing it.

I don't know about laptops, but when I was doing research for my desktop I went on a few custom build websites and found that it was up to 400 cheaper to do a custom build than to buy an equivalently specced desktop.

ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS G75VW this is the new version of my laptop. Mine has run amazingly and it rarely gets hot it's got massive cooling vent on the back and only gets warm/hot when i start maxing out graphics on games like skyrim. Mine was $1200 from best buy.