Thread: Cost of diapers going up?

Default Cost of diapers going up?

We all know Gas prices go up when something happens. Oil pipe breaks, weather problems and such.

But will this be the case with the Chemical plant explosions in Japan. They make 20% of SAP for diapers?

Chemical plant explosions in Japan kill one, may cripple global diaper output - World News

I would think primarily, the first aim of manufacturers is to maintain the quantity of production. So we might find that in the short term, the quality goes down as manufacturers attempt to make up for the shortage of sap by using more wood-pulp and cotton filler instead. (Of course the price won't go down to compensate). Eventually the other 80% of SAP manufacturers will increase production to make up the shortfall, THEN prices will go up. I don't think it will cause a global shortage though.

I would hope they take out some of the SAP, and add more cellulose for quicker uptake. They have been making the disposables razor thin in recent years, and they have been more prone to leaks. More pulp will substantially increase the speed of absorbency, and perhaps will make the product more comfortable for the wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeywell6180 View Post
    I would hope they take out some of the SAP, and add more cellulose for quicker uptake. They have been making the disposables razor thin in recent years, and they have been more prone to leaks. More pulp will substantially increase the speed of absorbency, and perhaps will make the product more comfortable for the wearer.
    It's the SAP that sucks the wetness out of the pulp and keeps it locked inside of the SAP. This is why cloth diapers vs disposables are so different.

Exclamation Diaper shortage and rising cost in the near future?

Well I was checking Face book and the Super Coupon lady which I am linking you to the page down below had came out and said there was a fire in a plant in Japan which is going to cause Diapers to go up in prices and become very short in supply.

LINK>> Possible Disposable Diaper Shortage?! <<LINK

So if this is indeed true then please I urge you who are able to stock up and fill up that stash and make sure it is topped off.

All the Best!
    -Alex

I just bought a big case of Bambinos just in case they go up in price.

I didnt even know about the diaper problem, And I restocked my Depends stash. Gotta love intuition at its best ^-^

I wouldn't worry about material cost's as much as transportation cost's. With winter coming on I would worry more about the cost of diesel fuel.