Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sudden and extreme regression

Default Sudden and extreme regression

Last Tuesday I was walking back home from work, just following the streets that looked the most interesting and enjoying the walking and sights, although, I got too carried away and ended up getting lost.
    Eventually I arrived at a small park in the middle of a roundabout, and it was getting dark, and there was way too much traffic to cross to the next street, I waited and waited for over 20 minutes without being able to cross, and it was starting to get dark.

Suddenly, I started to feel fear, and loneliness, I was feeling like a lost little kid, I was anxious and I wanted to have my favorite plushie to hug him, or even better my mom there to take me home, I was feeling so bad that I had to sit down on a bench and calm down, I was seriously on the verge of tears D:

This is weird because I get lost all the time, and I have never felt this way before.
    At the end I managed to find the correct way back home, but I arrived there 2 hours after leaving my home.

If I could get some opinions, similar stories and possible explanations as to why that happened, Iíll be grateful D:

A few weeks ago I was shopping with my partner, in a kinda regressed state of mind, you know way too distracted by kiddy stuff! anyway she needed to pick up something in another store and I, well wanted to keep lookin atthe things in this store and said I'd catch up with her. long story short...she wasn't where I expected and after going up and down the mall, I suddenly felt like a little abandoned kid, totally sunk...not the nicest feeling I have to say...as you'd imagine I was pretty pumped when I spotted her. reflecting back, I was quite surprised that I found myself feeling that way.

I was hit by a car a few weeks ago and the shock caused me to regress pretty hard... in a way that I hadn't really experienced before. I held it together till I got through the front door and burst into tears. Not because I was hurt, or because I was sad or... anything... It was just the reaction to the shock... like when a three year old bumps his head and burst into tears... It didn't really hurt, but still the child cries with the "confusion" of such sudden and intense sensory inputs...

Without wanting to get all hippyish, I've been trying to reconnect with my "inner child" recently... and it feels like my inner child is the real me inside that has completely instinctive, automatic emotional responses, and the adult side is just a series of defence- and coping-mechanisms stuck on as a bodged afterthough to protect me from being being hurt by others.

If a child is sad, it cries without considering whether it is socially "acceptable" or how this might affect the way that they are judged by those around them, but as adults we have to continually inhibit the inner-child to avoid being seen in a negative way.

I wonder if, this kind of "sudden regression" is a cry for help from the "inner child" as it gets overloaded with all sorts of emotions that the adult side isn't able to express. It's as if the real, honestly-felt emotions that you're experiencing have been kept locked away inside your "inner child" to the point where they explode and force your adult side to take notice...

I dunno... just a very new tentative theory that I'm trying to get my head round as a way to understand myself...

oh, poor baby. I sympathize with you, while we all try t regress it seems it is most powerful when we don't plan it. For what ever reason these types of involuntary regressions are always the most intensely felt and seem the most real. For what ever reason, as far as I have experienced, these feelings are mostly always negative. The last time I felt it was when I lost my stuffed pikachu while sleeping. It was this strangely odd feeling of intense illogical fear, and a sense of abandonment.

Tiny you may very well be correct, this may be our inner child crying out to be heard. But the thing I can't understand is, what is the trigger. Ozub and Fenrier got lost, Tiny got struck by a car, I simply lost my toy (pathetic by comparison; It seems that this comes on when a large moment of stress is thrown at us at once. I know I also experience prolonged regression during times of prolonged stress, like when final exams come. Let us not forget that regression is one of the classic psychological defense mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by PacifiedByKnowledge View Post
    Tiny you may very well be correct, this may be our inner child crying out to be heard. But the thing I can't understand is, what is the trigger. Ozub and Fenrier got lost, Tiny got struck by a car, I simply lost my toy (pathetic by comparison; It seems that this comes on when a large moment of stress is thrown at us at once. I know I also experience prolonged regression during times of prolonged stress, like when final exams come. Let us not forget that regression is one of the classic psychological defense mechanisms.
    As you say, I think it's probably a response to emotional stress, and (as you also said!) stress can build up. So one person might survive a terrible experience without regressing... Another might have a million stressful experiences, then one more small thing is the one that "breaks the camel's back"... And what one person considers stressful might not be to someone else... So, I don't suppose you could really predict or define exactly what the trigger would be any more specifically than "negative emotion / stress"...

have any of you folks thought that what may be happening in these situations is/are the emergence of alternate hidden child personalities....

Mine was not that extreme, but I had a similar experience this week. I always wear a depends diaper to bed. My gf thinks I wet the bed. I woke up and went to shower, and apparently the diaper had a cut in it from the factory or something. I was wetting it when I felt all the pee and stuffing going down my legs. I felt so helpless that I just stood there and teared up. It was all I could do to keep from bawling. It took me a bit to get a grip on myself and I was late for work.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    have any of you folks thought that what may be happening in these situations is/are the emergence of alternate hidden child personalities....
    I've heard theories that say that there are multiple "children" within us, of different ages, each representing our emotional response to the world at that age... or something... But I'm not sure... It feels like there's just this one "inner child" within me. It's not so much a child personality; more a series of emotions that, to be expressed honestly, would have to be expressed "childishly". But I'm sure others will have a different experience...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    It feels like there's just this one "inner child" within me. It's not so much a child personality; more a series of emotions that, to be expressed honestly, would have to be expressed "childishly". But I'm sure others will have a different experience...
    yes... well, what you have described above is how it started happening to me at first as well.. just an inner sort of child-like part. my problem was in wanting to "get to know that child-part".... the more i dug, the deeper the hole got... and then that little child-part turned into a personality.... and then there were others who surfaced over the years... and then i started finding out about the little parts of my life that i never knew.

they seem to express them selves as the ages at which they were cut off from the whole...

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    yes... well, what you have described above is how it started happening to me at first as well.. just an inner sort of child-like part. my problem was in wanting to "get to know that child-part".... the more i dug, the deeper the hole got... and then that little child-part turned into a personality.... and then there were others who surfaced over the years... and then i started finding out about the little parts of my life that i never knew.

they seem to express them selves as the ages at which they were cut off from the whole...
    Oooh! That's really interesting! That was exactly the kind of thing I was reading about!

Can I ask how it is for you with these multiple child-personalities? Has it helped to discover the "multiple parts", as it were?