Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acer Ultrabooks?

Default Acer Ultrabooks?

So, my mum recently got an Acer Ultrabook, and it's super light, and super super fast!

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop, and when my mum came home with this fancy piece of gagetary I was quite excited. I think I want one, but it really is a lot of money!

Can someone (who knows about computers) help me weigh up the pros and cons of it?

This is a linky, if you're not sure what I'm talking about: Acer Aspire S3-951-2464G34iss - Core i5 1.6 GHz - 4 GB Ram

Edit: just to clarify: I know nothing about computers, so please explain this to me as if I'm... about 12.

It's certainly a nice laptop, but I'm sure there are less expensive options for similar specs.
    I'm on a 4-year-old laptop that I got for $300 and it's done everything I've ever needed, including a lot of games (not on super-high-max-hd quality, but enough to get it done)
    I'd say check out a couple of local computer stores and look for laptops more in your price range.

you asked for pros & cons:
    PROS:
    -fast
    -light
    -skinny
    -ssd (solid-state hard drive, which is a no-moving-parts hard drive[much less prone to failure] and it's also much, much faster. it's like a giant thumb drive, basically)

CONS
    -SKINNY (it only has 2 USB PORTS, which means if you ever want to plug more than 2 things in, you're SOL.)
    -it's probably fragile. smaller computers tend to be much more fragile.
    -1.6ghz processor. pretty low compared to a lot of computers these days. My aforementioned 4-year-old laptop has 2.0ghz and half the threads.
    -4gb RAM. (you can look at the wiki if you like) 4gb isn't exactly stellar, but it gets the job done. average.
    -expensive.

in short, overpriced but great if you're only looking for a laptop.
    if you don't mind the loss of portability, you could easily get twice the performance out of a desktop for around the same price. just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    It's certainly a nice laptop, but I'm sure there are less expensive options for similar specs.
    I'm on a 4-year-old laptop that I got for $300 and it's done everything I've ever needed, including a lot of games (not on super-high-max-hd quality, but enough to get it done)
    I'd say check out a couple of local computer stores and look for laptops more in your price range.

you asked for pros & cons:
    PROS:
    -fast
    -light
    -skinny
    -ssd (solid-state hard drive, which is a no-moving-parts hard drive[much less prone to failure] and it's also much, much faster. it's like a giant thumb drive, basically)

CONS
    -SKINNY (it only has 2 USB PORTS, which means if you ever want to plug more than 2 things in, you're SOL.)
    -it's probably fragile. smaller computers tend to be much more fragile.
    -1.6ghz processor. pretty low compared to a lot of computers these days. My aforementioned 4-year-old laptop has 2.0ghz and half the threads.
    -4gb RAM. (you can look at the wiki if you like) 4gb isn't exactly stellar, but it gets the job done. average.
    -expensive.

in short, overpriced but great if you're only looking for a laptop.
    if you don't mind the loss of portability, you could easily get twice the performance out of a desktop for around the same price. just sayin'
    I'm definitely looking for a laptop, most specifically something small, light and very fast. The laptops I'm using at the moment (2 of them) are both quite big and cumbersome and I need something easy to transport which will load up very quickly for various things coming up this year.

It's not so much performance I'm interested in. The closest I've come to PC gaming was playing neopets when I was a child. As long as it's got Word, and Firefox on it then I'll be happy

Ok then... I'll stop trying to sell you on the idea of a desktop

It sounds like you're trying to get something that will mainly load up fast, and also has a relatively long battery life.

You'd be surprised at how big of a difference reinstalling windows does. (resetting the computer back to factory defaults) I recently did it to mine, and maybe... 10x faster? it's quite noticeable. You might try doing this to the laptops that you have now and see what happens (if you don't know how, lots of computer places or a computer-savvy friend will be able to do it. it's easy to do and requires no upgrades)

You can also look at older computers. Again, used computers aren't something to overlook. Shop around for the best deal.
    You do pay for what you get, though; if you really do want something like the ultrabook you mentioned, I'm sure there are financing options available (if not from the supplier, you can take out a loan from the bank)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I'm window shopping for laptops... so... shiny...

Ok then... I'll stop trying to sell you on the idea of a desktop

It sounds like you're trying to get something that will mainly load up fast, and also has a relatively long battery life.

You'd be surprised at how big of a difference reinstalling windows does. (resetting the computer back to factory defaults) I recently did it to mine, and maybe... 10x faster? it's quite noticeable. You might try doing this to the laptops that you have now and see what happens (if you don't know how, lots of computer places or a computer-savvy friend will be able to do it. it's easy to do and requires no upgrades)

You can also look at older computers. Again, used computers aren't something to overlook. Shop around for the best deal.
    You do pay for what you get, though; if you really do want something like the ultrabook you mentioned, I'm sure there are financing options available (if not from the supplier, you can take out a loan from the bank)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I'm window shopping for laptops... so... shiny...
    No, the laptops I have at the moment are too big and heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    No, the laptops I have at the moment are too big and heavy!
    not sure what you want me to do, short of find you a laptop

if you're willing and able to pay for that computer, then that's the one for you.
    if you don't want to spend that kind of money, I'd recommend a little shopping around.

Best piece of advice anybody can give you is compare prices. Go online and find the same thing in different brands. The prices can sometimes be quite different

not sure what you want me to do, short of find you a laptop

if you're willing and able to pay for that computer, then that's the one for you.
    if you don't want to spend that kind of money, I'd recommend a little shopping around.
    Well, I assume there are other laptops that are similar to that, but not the same brand?
    There are also options like netbooks, which are small and thin... how does it compare to one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxicoon View Post
    Best piece of advice anybody can give you is compare prices. Go online and find the same thing in different brands. The prices can sometimes be quite different
    How would I go about doing that? What do I focus on in my searches? What is the thing that makes the Acer my mum has so fast to start up?

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Well, I assume there are other laptops that are similar to that, but not the same brand?
    There are also options like netbooks, which are small and thin... how does it compare to one of them?

How would I go about doing that? What do I focus on in my searches? What is the thing that makes the Acer my mum has so fast to start up?
    the netbooks you're referring to are designed to surf the net. (net+notebook)
    the acer your mom has starts up so quickly because there's nothing installed to it yet. the more data it collects over time, the more it has to sort through on startup. general rule=brand new computers will ALWAYS start up faster.

netbook sounds like what you're looking for. small, light, very portable but not designed for power; just doing basic stuff. one of those oughta run a word program quite easily.

like maxicoon said: compare prices. just go to any website's laptop section, and narrow it down to a certain price range that you'd like to spend, and look at all the options they all have. (100gb hard drive should be plenty, and the amt of RAM should be between 2-4gb)