Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8" Floppy Disks

pamperchu

Default 8" Floppy Disks

I found some rare 8" floppy disks at the thrift store. I also show off a hard drive that will hold 1 RAW picture form my digital camera.

Hmm wonder if you call that number will it still work

Peachy

I still have 5 1/4" floppy disks and two drives somewhere in my parents' attic. i wonder if I can still connect the drives to any halfway modern computer with an IDE plug?!

pamperchu

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I still have 5 1/4" floppy disks and two drives somewhere in my parents' attic. i wonder if I can still connect the drives to any halfway modern computer with an IDE plug?!
    Yes you can
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/pamperchu/PamperchusDesktop8312012.png

I remember those back in the days. I had no clue people also used them to save stuff too. Now we use blank CDs now. Back in my days, it was floppy disks, the small ones. I wonder when they quit making those huge floppy disks?

8" disc of 360 kb ? For what ? Who use the museum trash like this and why ? Personally I prefere 2" portable hard disc with USB conection. CDs/DVDs as a last backup.

pamperchu

The disks in the video are SS,DD 8" discs so they can hold 160KB of data. The 5.25" drive in my computer can used 1.2MB disks. I use them for storing small files and keys. I also use it to recover files form old disks I find at thrift stores and for people that need the files off them.

My first computer had two of those 8" drives. no HD and like 5K of ram with a built in 5" black & yellow screen. It cost my company over 10 grand around 1980. When I chucked it it was all I could do to lift it over the edge of the scrap dumpster.

pamperchu

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    My first computer had two of those 8" drives. no HD and like 5K of ram with a built in 5" black & yellow screen. It cost my company over 10 grand around 1980. When I chucked it it was all I could do to lift it over the edge of the scrap dumpster.
    That computer would be worth lots of money today.