Thread: Vintage stroller enthusiasts-check this out

Default Vintage stroller enthusiasts-check this out

So I know there are a few vintage stroller enthusiasts on these boards. I stumbled on this last night on my area's Craigslist, so I figured I'd post it here for you guys and girls that might be interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5La5G35K73Ga3F23Jac965a711eade79e1793.jpg 
Views:	1739 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	14291

Name:	5N95L65G53If3J73Nec9611bb33c2938a1790.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	14292

Name:	5G45Ke5M93E93I53o0c965e3bbd312f191490.jpg 
Views:	2093 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	14293

The seller asserts that it's about 60 years old (which I don't doubt for an instant). So have you seen one like this before? Anything interesting about them worth noting? Is $50 a good price for something like this? Were these beasts common in that era like strollers are now? The styling doesn't really catch my eye, but I figured someone might be curious about it.

It's on the Metro Detroit Craigslist (I won't link to it, but a quick search for antique stroller should find it pretty easily).

Looks like a mid/late 1950s Taylor Tot and only missing the foot rest plate underneath and rubber covered front and rear bumpers. I'm saying that time period due to the presence of chrome plated parts. Earlier '50s models had painted steel throughout. Used replacement parts for these are regularly offered on ebay. Some reproduction parts can be purchased on this site: Products for Sale The $50 asking price isn't bad for one, as these are very popular with collectors. The Taylor Tot, along with the similarly designed PAL and Murray wood-and-metal strollers were very common back then. I rode in a mid-1940s Taylor Tot as a toddler which was passed down from my older sisters. The 1940s models differed in that the handle was made from flat steel and had a turned wood handle grip. These strollers could also double as a baby walker by removing the handle and foot plate. The missing rubber bumpers would then keep it from damaging furniture as the baby rolled it around in the house. In original mint condition, I've seen these fetch up to $400.

Oddly enough, I don't have one of these in my collection as yet.

~Pramrider

I hanen't seen one of those since last centry. Must have road like tank. Looks good thoght.

bnsbaby

I remember some of them from late 40's to early 50's. They weren't as common as baby buggie's were then. I think you could also take the handle off

and use as a walker for toddlers.

pramrider, maybe it is not in your collection, as it does not have vinyl padding

pepsicolaisgreat

Wow. That is neat for sure. My Grandma had one of those. She used to push me around in it at her house. (got a pic of me in it somewhere) Sadly my dad accidentally backed over it in the driveway. I had put it behind the truck, when I was about 4. Would love to have that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsmith View Post
    pramrider, maybe it is not in your collection, as it does not have vinyl padding
    Could be why I haven't been in a hurry to buy one, plus I know I wouldn't fit in one the way the sheet metal surrounds the wood seat. If I do ever get one it will be mainly for nostalgic reasons...recalling fun toddler/pre-school years of riding in one.

~Pramrider

I may have seen them in antique stores. I wonder how the baby slept in them. Looks so uncomfortable. Only something to be playing with than being used for on trips or going to places. Babies sleep all the time in their stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I may have seen them in antique stores. I wonder how the baby slept in them. Looks so uncomfortable. Only something to be playing with than being used for on trips or going to places. Babies sleep all the time in their stroller.
    These were designed mainly for babies and toddlers who could sit upright without any support. For infants, parents would use a pram style carriage or stroller that had a bassinet attachment. You're right about the comfort level. It probably helped if the rider was still in diapers to have a little extra padding on his/her bottom.

~Pramrider

Quote Originally Posted by pepsicolaisgreat View Post
    Wow. That is neat for sure. My Grandma had one of those. She used to push me around in it at her house. (got a pic of me in it somewhere) Sadly my dad accidentally backed over it in the driveway. I had put it behind the truck, when I was about 4. Would love to have that one though.
    Glad you were not in the pram when it got run over!