Thread: Fafsa

Default Fafsa

Ok, I'm unsure what to do...

I'm attempting to file for this yet my mom will not provide her tax info(she waits for the last 3years to file.) So that creates an issue. She does not file for herself because she has no income but she files for the company she owns. So I'm wondering if any of you guys can help.

I'm wondering what do I do for the tax part of that forum? It demands that I fill in the thing for parents because of my age and stuff yet I can't because I don't have the info...

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Ok, I'm unsure what to do...

I'm attempting to file for this yet my mom will not provide her tax info(she waits for the last 3years to file.) So that creates an issue. She does not file for herself because she has no income but she files for the company she owns. So I'm wondering if any of you guys can help.

I'm wondering what do I do for the tax part of that forum? It demands that I fill in the thing for parents because of my age and stuff yet I can't because I don't have the info...

Any ideas?
    It's a government thing. I'm sure the government is totally okay with refusing your fafsa on the grounds that your mom has no tax info because she hasn't filed taxes. When she does file her taxes, can she still legally claim you as a dependent? If she can't, you're off the hook for having to file for her (you must be 23, or some other special circumstances for her to not be able to claim you). Remember that this is only if she can't legally claim you, not if she's just not going to claim you as a dependent. Also remember that cheating on your fafsa is like cheating on your taxes. Perhaps they won't catch you if you don't claim her anyway, but if you do get investigated the consequences probably won't be good. If I remember correctly it doesn't ask about any tax info per se, it's more about taxable income which at the very least you could get her to provide a number for that?

Is there any way that you can give them an estimate, and then provide more accurate numbers once your mum actually files? I recall hearing something about that at one point. If you are in high school, have you tried talking to a guidance counsellor? It's their job to help you with that. If you're in college, the financial aid department may be able to help you get it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    (she waits for the last 3years to file.)
    is that legal?

I never filled out a Fafsa. You don't need to. Completely up to you, only thing it does is help with financial aid if you need it.

Make good friends with the financial aid person. They can make your life hell or make things right if in their power. The one I have now, chooses to make my life hell for some unknown reason. Out of the three semesters I have attended for auto mechanic, she has neglected to file for my VA benefits on time 2 out of 3 times. Both caused my wife and I to end up in a world of shit. Every time she screws up, she tries to make it seem like its my fault as well. Meanwhile, a good one will go above and beyond to take care of you.

Anyways, they should have some good advice for how you should go about dealing with this issue.