Thread: Vintage CD players

pamperchu

Default Vintage CD players

I found another CD player from 1984, I have 3 right now from 84 but I am allways looking for a 83 or 82. I love restoring the old units and using them, they just keep on working.

Ah...welcome to my world. I love CD's as they have better resolution than MP3's, etc. To a musician's ear, we can hear the difference. I have a big Sony that plays 50. During the Christmas season, I load it up with Christmas CD's and hit shuffle. It's hard to find CD players now. I have stereo all over my house. Out in the porch I have to use a DVD player to play CD's.

It really is a shame how build quality has droped so dramatically. Nowdays if you get five years out of a piece of tech your happy. I would be surprised if my flat screens working in 30 years.

pamperchu

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Ah...welcome to my world. I love CD's as they have better resolution than MP3's, etc. To a musician's ear, we can hear the difference. I have a big Sony that plays 50. During the Christmas season, I load it up with Christmas CD's and hit shuffle. It's hard to find CD players now. I have stereo all over my house. Out in the porch I have to use a DVD player to play CD's.
    I can hear the difference so I have a big collection of vinyl. Vinyl sounds much better than CD. If you can find dvd-audio, it sounds amazing too.

Quote Originally Posted by pamperchu View Post
    I can hear the difference so I have a big collection of vinyl. Vinyl sounds much better than CD. If you can find dvd-audio, it sounds amazing too.
    My kids got me a record player to replace my old non working one. The problem is that my records are blocked into a closet by a bunch of heavy boxes. I need to get them out. Yes, they sound completely different. If you really want to go the distance, do you have a tube amp. For years I had an old Fisher tube amp, circa 1968. It had an amazing warm sound. I need to look for one again on Ebay.

Amen to that! I too have a large collection of vinyl and tapes. I play all of my records on my early 60's GE Portable that I inherited from my uncle. it only has mono sound and no output for external speakers, just the built in one. My tape deck is a 90's Kenwood with dual recording. I also practice the dying art of producing Mix Tapes. Most of my tapes that I make have better sound quality than on a CD....

pamperchu

Quote Originally Posted by Goblue View Post
    Amen to that! I too have a large collection of vinyl and tapes. I play all of my records on my early 60's GE Portable that I inherited from my uncle. it only has mono sound and no output for external speakers, just the built in one. My tape deck is a 90's Kenwood with dual recording. I also practice the dying art of producing Mix Tapes. Most of my tapes that I make have better sound quality than on a CD....
    I have one of the better cassette decks made. I record to type metal tapes and they sound much better than CD
    MSRP was $1000 in 1990

This is my setup right now
    http://i.imgur.com/s5hHy.jpg

[QUOTE=pamperchu;950427]I have one of the better cassette decks made. I record to type metal tapes and they sound much better than CD
    MSRP was $1000 in 1990

Awesome setup! BTW, where do you get your tapes at? I sometimes find a few unused ones at the local thrift store, but its rare when I do. All I have left are some TDK's and a few used Sony's. I prefer to record on brand new tapes but have had to recycle a few... sound quality gets worse the more times I re-record.

pamperchu

I have one of the better cassette decks made. I record to type metal tapes and they sound much better than CD
    MSRP was $1000 in 1990

Awesome setup! BTW, where do you get your tapes at? I sometimes find a few unused ones at the local thrift store, but its rare when I do. All I have left are some TDK's and a few used Sony's. I prefer to record on brand new tapes but have had to recycle a few... sound quality gets worse the more times I re-record.
    I get all my tapes at the goodwills, alot of them from the bins, a goodwill that you buy by the pound. They have bins full of thousands of tapes and I look for the high quality ones, with ceramic guides or type metal.

man, you're pretty lucky then! The goodwill near my house ain't got shit....lol