Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of a harness

Default Use of a harness

Now, actually I'm NOT considering a baby-type harness, as that would not be the primary purpose of the harness I want...I want an adult harness used for persons that have special needs (before the grammar nuts lose it, "persons" can be used correctly to mean "individuals" whereas "people" are usually just...well, people!) and it's because of my cerebral palsy and the fact that I am on the autism spectrum.

No one I've spoken to seems to understand my train of thought since I am high-functioning but I, personally, CAN think of situations where it might prove useful - one is when I'm out for a walk with another person or the service dog that I plan to obtain and train for myself after I move out of the home I currently live in. Another is (warning: possible self-inflicted cruelty depending on how you interpret this) if I'm in my room upset enough to go nuts (which, thankfully, no longer happens very frequently, so it's a shock to staff on the rare occasion when it does happen), I could tie the lead to the doorknob and lose it while feeling somewhat safer, in a way.

Anyway folks, what I want to know is, how many of you have a harness, or want one, whether it's purely for *B/DL tendencies or as a side function? How/when do you (plan to) use your harness? I'd love to hear others' opinion about their own harnesses, and I'd appreciate some feedback about the fact that I'd like one and whether you think I should get one (I have, however, found a Canadian source of adult harnesses already, so I don't need any help with that).

Falkio

A long time ago, in a galaxy far-far away, I had a pink harness that I purchased for my mate. Come to think of it, I still have the little key in my wallet. I got it online at a special AB/DL harness shop. They're cool for taking care of babyfurs if you have plenty of space, but otherwise they're impractical. I believe they're banned at furry cons, and its not the sort of thing you can openly wear in public.

They give you an overwhelming sense of helplessness though. You're locked in, and if you're being a cub, you're probably going to get tugged around. :3

I was bought a set of adult baby reins as a gift, which I understand to be the same thing. They're purely for my little side though, there's no other practical purpose for them in my case. You really need the space to use them properly as an adult baby item though, which can be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkio View Post
    You're locked in, and if you're being a cub, you're probably going to get tugged around. :3
    This is totally true. If you wear them around other adult babies or caretakers expect to be tugged around lots

Quote Originally Posted by Falkio View Post
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far-far away, I had a pink harness that I purchased for my mate. Come to think of it, I still have the little key in my wallet. I got it online at a special AB/DL harness shop. They're cool for taking care of babyfurs if you have plenty of space, but otherwise they're impractical. I believe they're banned at furry cons, and its not the sort of thing you can openly wear in public.

They give you an overwhelming sense of helplessness though. You're locked in, and if you're being a cub, you're probably going to get tugged around. :3
    That AB harness I think you're referring to actually looks like fun.

To address OP's question, a similar question was brought up in a different thread, where some promising links were posted. Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

Actually, I think some (but not all) people reading this thread are misunderstanding what I'm saying. The harness is NOT (specifically) for car use, it's more like cgh was describing. As I posted already, I already have found a source of what I'd like, it is at:

Child-to-Adult Harness from Childharness.ca. Special Needs (Autism, ADHD, Down Syndrome) Autism Harness, ADHD Harness, Harness for older child.

However, the thread itself can be for discussion of any type of AB restraint, including car restraints....discuss as you will

Personally I'd be much more inclined to go for a leather harness myself. Completely personal preference, but having CP myself and having spent all of elementary school in special ed classes, I saw a lot of friends and classmates in those wide blue fabric harnesses as a kid. Being just a bit mouthy, I was also threatened with them a time or two. So those colored fabric harnesses kind of turn me off.

TronBaby

I recently invested in a Segufix restraint system. The setup is highly adjustable and I think the shoulder harness portion of it (wich is available seperatly)
    would make a very sturdy toddler harness for an adult when used independantly.
    It's made from heavy white canvas and is reinforced and has a variety of locking options

So Gwendolyn you've never actually tried them and your "preference" is pretty much all in your head? Not that I think that's stupid but...Please correct me if I'm wrong!

FairyCakes

I want one for the special needs aspect. I have a tendency to get lost in thought walking on the sidewalk and I sometimes just end up walking into the road when a car's coming. Oops? :S

FairyCakes are you known to have special needs? This may sound obvious but if you're not, it wouldn't seem ethically right for anyone to provide you with a device that is meant for someone that does have documented special needs.....A worst case scenario could involve you going to court for fraud if that were the case (Sorry but I felt obligated to mention it!), so if not try to look for another product that would meet your needs as an alternative use (For example, in the colder, wetter months when the risk of falling is that much greater, I wear a hockey helmet so I don't hit my head if I fall).

- - - Updated - - -

oops sorry fairycakes didn't notice your age