Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand

Question I don't understand

I just don't understand furries. I mean, the word has many bad connotations to it. I don't understand why one would want to wear collars, ears, tails, or even fursuits. I understand cosplay, and even have star wars costumes, but fursuits? They just really creep me out, always have.

I just can't imagine why anyone would want to wear any of that, I just can't imagine why someone would want to wear a collar.

I have no problems with anthro animals, I do enjoy them, but I'm no furry.

Maybe you can enlighten me as to why you do.

We all know what it is like to be human, why not see the world through the eyes of an animal?

Think of "Furry" as just another form of cosplay then. I mean why do you cosplay? It's because it's fun to pretend to be someone else. When I put on my fursuit, I don't have to be me. I take on an entirely different role, of which I could care less of what others think of me. All my troubles and all my problems, just sort of disappear.

When you fursuit, you can cosplay as well, I have seen several fursuiters that have costumes over their fursuits.

Furry only has bad connotations because people allow them to exist, I can assure you that a vast majority of the population does not know what a furry is and if they find out about all the good things furries have done first, then all the bad things won't even matter. But if they find out about the "bad" first, the good will be less likely to show.

To each his own and don't knock it till you try it. Fursuiting is something at first I never thought I would do, I looked at it as you do now, asking "WHY?" But once I was actually around fursuits and saw the joy they brought to others, I knew it was something I wanted to do.

The simple answer is to ask the question why one would wear diapered even though they are fully continent and act like a baby despite being an adult. It doesn't make sense, but it's just what people want to do, and in some cases it is a part of them.

Furries have gained a negative connotation due to the stereotype that they are just sexual deviants who act like perverts and want to corrupt the nation's youth and blah blah blah. Furries are, in most cases, just as innocent as ABDL's. It varies between people, however. For example, I myself don't like to wear collars or fur suits, but I sometimes like to RP as an anthro. furry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanddeath View Post
    I just don't understand furries. I mean, the word has many bad connotations to it. I don't understand why one would want to wear collars, ears, tails, or even fursuits. I understand cosplay, and even have star wars costumes, but fursuits? They just really creep me out, always have.

I just can't imagine why anyone would want to wear any of that, I just can't imagine why someone would want to wear a collar.

I have no problems with anthro animals, I do enjoy them, but I'm no furry.

Maybe you can enlighten me as to why you do.
    I'm furry and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Fursuits appear very "off," to me, and collars gross me out. See? Not even every furry understands.

However, the negative connotations that come with being a furry are just morons who feel as though stereotypes are the way to go. I mean, saying all ABDLs are pedophiles would be the equivalent of the negative light furries get. They're regarded as sexual deviants, who enjoy bestiality and hardcore sex games involving BDSM and pet-play. Fortunately, not a drop of that is true. Most furries in the fandom are actually against being yiffy, which grants me a bit more faith in this fandom..

Now, anyone can ask "well why do you wear diapers? That's disgusting, you're not a baby!" and you'll reply "I don't know, I just do." The same thing goes for why certain furries would want to wear collars and fursuits. I fail to see the appeal, but that's simply because I'm not one of the furries who do that particular stuff. I understand why we'd wear diapers and maybe possibly act the role of an infant, but that's because I do those things. Some things you just can't understand unless you're a part of it.

Cygnus

Why do you like wearing diapers and being a baby?

You don't really know, do you? You just do it because it makes you happy, right?

Same thing with furries. Different aspects of the culture may attract different people, but in general, furries don't really know why they have such a fascination with anthropomorphic animals and the community that has developed around it.

I love the furry fandom for a couple of reasons, one is the community around it. I've heard a saying that the furry handshake is a hug. People on the furry culture are so diverse, from different backgrounds, genders, sexual orientations, fetishes, creed, and personality; yet we somehow all get along (with small drama along the way) to celebrate this idea that brought us together.

I also enjoy the concept of mixing humans and animals to create something beautiful and artistic. Taking animals and applying their traits to humans and seeing what comes out of it.

I like the self-expression, to make a character that is more you than you are, launching it into the world for others to see, make art of, and inspire.

I like the fursuiting, being able to step into another character and become it, spreading joy to others along the way.

I love the furry fandom and I couldn't imagine life without it.

You talk about bad connotations. Let me guess, yiff and bestiality? The human species is extremely sexual and, guess what, fetishes and sex exist. Shocking, I know. Human sexuality is extremely complicated and people, for whatever reason, people develop fetishes. Why, then, should certain fetishes be inherently wrong? As long as it doesn't harm anything, why should a sexual fetish be bad? Yes, some people are sexually attracted to anthropomorphic animals, some people are sexually attracted to normal animals, and some people are sexually attracted to diapers. It's human nature, so I don't see why it should be a negative connotation.

As for fursuits creeping you out, have you ever seen a nice fursuit like this one, or have you only seen those god-awful stereotypical easterbummy costumes that look like they've been beaten with a baseball bat?

I hope I gave you a better idea of why the fandom means what it does to me, if you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

By fursuits, let's say that I was always terrified of the chuckie cheese mouse. Just they don't look natural.

I understand liking anthors. I love shows and art of anthro animals, Gumball is my favorite current CN show, and even the fish is Anthrod. hell, my 6th birthday was a dog birthday. But I don't consider myself furry.

What I don't understand is why one would want to wear a collar, or ears. My brain just can't comprehend it.

Cygnus

By fursuits, let's say that I was always terrified of the chuckie cheese mouse. Just they don't look natural.

I understand liking anthors. I love shows and art of anthro animals, Gumball is my favorite current CN show, and even the fish is Anthrod. hell, my 6th birthday was a dog birthday. But I don't consider myself furry.

What I don't understand is why one would want to wear a collar, or ears. My brain just can't comprehend it.
    Agreed. Those costumes are creepy as all hell. Well-made fursuits are beautiful works of art (to me, at least.)

A lot of people wear them because it's a symbol of the culture, sort of like "oh my god, look at my collar! Yay, I'm a furry!" I wear my collar because it's a way for me to connect to my character ('fursona' in furry terms) seeing as it's a dog, and dogs wear collars. A collar is also a symbol of what humans do to animals. When some people wear a collar it's likestating that they are part animal, in a way.

I don't wear a collar very often, but I do sometimes, because, like Cygnus said, it helps me connect to my fursona. It's kinda like how you might wear diapers to help connect with your inner baby or toddler. The ears and fursuits are ways to, in a way, become your fursona. I would never buy one, mainly due to the price, but for the people who do they want to be their alter-ego for whatever reason.

The collar and ears/tail would just really be so you can identify yourself as a furry. I don't wear a collar outside of suit, but love wearing my tail around. It gives me a sense of happiness feeling it behind me. I'm sure the same could be said about wearing a collar.

As for being afraid of fursuits, you are not alone. One of the people I know, who is a furry, is also afraid of "certain" fursuits. I remembering him mention that after RMFC, he was surprised that none of the suits caused him to freak out.

On an end note, you don't have to be a Furry to like Anthropomorphic animals, Furry is nothing but a label. Just remember that all Furries are anthro, but not all anthro's are furry.

CrinkleKat

Okay, that IS a valid point...Chucky Cheese is a creepy, creepy entity. Maybe that experience as a young child is what made you opposed to furries in the first place. Although from what you've said, It seems to me that you don't find them abrasive so much as incomprehensible, amiright?