Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch Your Back!

Exclamation Watch Your Back!

No, someone isn't out to bump you off, at least I hope not. I'm talking about your literal back.

Last week, it was time to clean out the chimney flue so the woodstove could be started up again with colder weather coming. I got up on the roof and lowered the rope down the flue for my wife to grab at the cleanout door near the ground. She then pulled the brush attached to the rope down the flue. When it bottomed out I had to pull it back up. Normally, about 4 or 5 times is enough to clean the creosote buildup off the flue surface. However, I had one obstacle to deal with - we still have an antenna attached to the chimney, and I had to bend over to position myself between the antenna and the chimney top. Last year was no problem, but this year the brush hung up at the bottom. With the brush stuck I had to pull really hard in a bent over position to free it up, ending up straining my lower back in the process. It was sore and a little stiff at first. Then, later in the week I had to pick up firewood, haul it around in a wheelbarrow, and stack it. That was the straw that broke the Pram's back! The next day I was hurting a lot more, to the point I had to take prescription pain relievers on and off in order to go through my normal daily routine, and be able to sleep at night. Even if my wife still wanted to spoon I couldn't have this past week - had to lie flat on my back to be comfortable.

It's gradually getting better this week, fortunately. I'm trying to recoup completely before fooling with anymore firewood. It just hit home how careful you have to be with your back, especially when you get older, and how you need to position yourself correctly to do any heavy work. I've worked with guys who have really messed their backs up badly and have to live off of muscle relaxers and narcotic pain killers. Don't even want to go there! Please be careful with your back because once it's damaged it'll never be the same again.

Come next Fall, I'm going to take the antenna down first to be able to stand up straight, even if it takes longer to get the flue cleaning chore done!

~Pramrider

Yeah I am 18 and I already have lower back pain due to the fact that I was heavily overweight and even though I am a mere 20 pounds from being like 13% body fat where I want to be I still have pain due to my weight, however lifting weights has messed it up even more. So like he said be very very careful and I'll add watch your weight cause that is a factor and lastly to Pram I hope that it keeps getting better however if it doesn't or gets worse see a doctor for me will yah cause my Dad put it off for to long and he needs a major back surgery now

I did likewise last week Pramrider. My wife and I go grocery shopping on Saturdays and so I load her electric cart on the carrier which is attached to the back of the Jeep. When I was loading it back on at Krogers, we were on an incline and I had to give it more juice. You walk it up the ramp, because you can't ride it on the ramp. It took off and would have gone of the other side if I hadn't jerked it back. Well the jerking it was all my back needed. It still hurts. My back also seems to be more sensitive in the Fall for some reason. Maybe it's the changing weather. Anyway, I hope yours gets to feeling better real soon. Mine is somewhat better.

you should see a Chiropractor. my dad has back problems and he's been doing so much better now that he's seeing one. if you do see one, he'll probably just give you some excersizes to work on that will help your back.

I'm sorry to hear that Pram! I wish you a quick recovery.

I do know a little how it feels to have an aching backside; since June this year, I've been working full time at a warehouse. Nearly all my tasks for a normal day require heavy lifting, and streneous physical work. And even though I've been extra careful to position myself, and lift packages up by the correct method, I'm starting to feel the strain this have had on my back, unfortunately.

As I said, I really hope a quck and painless recovery is in store for you. Take care not to put your body through the same pains again, anytime soon atleast.

I would like to offer a reccomendation, also, if you won't take it as me being rude? I don't know if you already are doing so, but a little bit of physical exercise everyday, should be more than enough to prevent such serious strains or injuries. Your age doesn't matter, not at all. The willingness to keep fit, may drasticly slow the aging process.

So, with the outmost respect Pram, don't you be going of using your age as an excuse for pains that could have been prevented in the first place, now you hear? :no2:

Thanks for all the well wishes Eric and everyone else. It's getting better so I dont think I did any serious damage, just strained the muscles mainly on my left side. Dave and dogboy, I hope you both continue to get better too. It's easy enough for your back to be injured when you're young, and that much more so as you age. Just a wrong twist or jerk, as dogboy received, can be all it takes. Dave, I'm also sorry to hear about your dad needing surgery. I can't even imagine what he's been going through with the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I do know a little how it feels to have an aching backside; since June this year, I've been working full time at a warehouse. Nearly all my tasks for a normal day require heavy lifting, and streneous physical work. And even though I've been extra careful to position myself, and lift packages up by the correct method, I'm starting to feel the strain this have had on my back, unfortunately.

As I said, I really hope a quck and painless recovery is in store for you. Take care not to put your body through the same pains again, anytime soon atleast.

I would like to offer a reccomendation, also, if you won't take it as me being rude? I don't know if you already are doing so, but a little bit of physical exercise everyday, should be more than enough to prevent such serious strains or injuries. Your age doesn't matter, not at all. The willingness to keep fit, may drasticly slow the aging process.

So, with the outmost respect Pram, don't you be going of using your age as an excuse for pains that could have been prevented in the first place, now you hear? :no2:
    No rudeness at all! I certainly appreciate the advice both you and link gave about getting some exercise. You're both right on the money because I'm definitely guilty of not exercizing regularly. I usually get some in spurts when work needs to be done outside, and then I tend to overdo it, which isn't the proper amount. Trying to maintain a young feeling on the inside is no substitute for doing things routinely to keep myself in a more youthful condition physically. I hear what you say loud and clear, Titus! The hard part is always getting into the routine and sticking with it.

~Pramrider

I hear it loud and clean too. I always have good intentions, but then I stay busy. Sit ups a real good because the back is partly supported by the stomach muscles. I must get myself more disciplined. Thanks to all of you.

Pram, all you have to do is ask for help, and you've got it! ^ ^ Due to my father's health issues, I'm living at home currently to help around the house, so I'm used to doing -- and am happy doing -- those kind of upkeep chores!

I hope your back feels better, though. It's never good to be laid up like that when you sit there and think, "I could be using this time for something else!" I hope you feel better!

I do a number on my back evey once and a while, usually changing or rotateing the tires on one of my cars, the only thing that works for me is a little rest, and then I go for a walk but it still takes a few days untill I'm pain free.

Like yours, it just happens, without any warning, and it's bad enough that I have one leg that dosen't bend completly like it should, putting on socks takes one of those grab sticks you get when your in the hospital for reaching stuff, and it might take me a half hour to get my socks on.

But after a few days of this it dose go away, untill the next stupid move.