Thread: PS2 emulator?

Default PS2 emulator?

Anyone else play game emulators on their computer?
    I myself am a fan of them. I have used them for anything from NES to one for a playstation. I am thinking of trying one of the ones for a PS2 to play some of the armored core games.

There is one ps2 emulator with any level of support for commercial games - PCSX2. However, it's still far from perfect, especially as you go further from mainstream titles, and it can require a rather hefty computer to fun at full settings.

Emulators?... Let me tell you a little story:

About a year ago I felt the sudden urge to (re)play The Legend of Zelda - Majoras Mask (one of the best games ever... *cough*...).
    I had no access to the original N64 game and was forced to play it on my PC.
    I downloaded the Project64-emulator and, well, started playing.
    It was a strange feeling at first, but after a few (10) hours I got used to it.
    It was great. Wonderful. Pure nostalgia.
    And then. It happened.
    I was just about to deafeat the final boss, when suddenly, and without warning, the screen went black. Went black forever. I restarted the program, tried to load the last savegame, but it was no use.
    Eternal darkness everywhere, and no sign of light.
    That day, something died. And it wasn´t that stupid boss.

So... Screw you, emulators! Screw-you-!
    The End

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHare View Post
    Emulators?... Let me tell you a little story:

About a year ago I felt the sudden urge to (re)play The Legend of Zelda - Majoras Mask (one of the best games ever... *cough*...).
    I had no access to the original N64 game and was forced to play it on my PC.
    I downloaded the Project64-emulator and, well, started playing.
    It was a strange feeling at first, but after a few (10) hours I got used to it.
    It was great. Wonderful. Pure nostalgia.
    And then. It happened.
    I was just about to deafeat the final boss, when suddenly, and without warning, the screen went black. Went black forever. I restarted the program, tried to load the last savegame, but it was no use.
    Eternal darkness everywhere, and no sign of light.
    That day, something died. And it wasn´t that stupid boss.

So... Screw you, emulators! Screw-you-!
    The End

I feel your pain man! A couple years back I was dying to replay Tales of Phantasia (Possibly the best JRPG ever released on SNES and WAY ahead of its time with the battle system) so I got a fully translated Rom file and began to play. I was in love, the game was exactly how I remembered it. I had just beaten the Main boss in The Past (A LOT of Time Travel in this game and I mean A LOT) and everything was going great. So I saved my file closed the emulator and began to play some WoW, later I got bored so I thought I'd play more ToP, and then the worst thing happened. My save file was GONE. Just gone. I didn't save over it or anything like that, turns out the Rom file got corrupted, I died a little on the inside that day haha.

I have had a lot of trouble with zsnes saving games properly. I remember a few times where I started out a game and piddled around with checking to make sure it was going to save properly for 30 or 40 minutes before I started attempting to make progress. This was mainly an issue for mario rpg and anything final fantasy.

I got project 64 specifically to play zelda ocarina of time and doom 64. My favorite games for n64.
    I also found it very interesting and tediously annoying to get used to playing anything from n64 or ps1 with just a keyboard. Anything aiming related has been a pain in the butt.

I can't say I ever had any issues with losing save files or the sort... And even if I would, I generally keep save states around the savepoints anyway. (I use save states to swap save files for games with only one save, and for backup since I fear my emulator may fail eventually, though it hasn't yet... Not for spammy tactics.)

My current emulator of choice is Mednafen, it is a bit weird to configure, but it's a pretty awesome piece of software. It emulates mostly anything from the NES to the PSX.

It also has automatic IPS patching if you are looking to play ROM hacks like the ones you can find around the net at places like Pokecommunity. (I like to play these on my phone using yongzh's emulators.)

And +1 for PCSX2... It is the best PS2 emulator you are going to get right now...

Tales of Phantasia only has a couple of instances of time travel. I totally wouldn't call that "A Lot" of time travel <_<

I just tried pcsx2. I cannot get it to run and keep getting some runtime error about C++ or some crap.