Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Democratic National Convention

Default Democratic National Convention

Welp, time to the same thread over again, this time with a different party. I just realized election season was here when most of the news on the radio this morning was dedicated to campaigning. So here are some more tidbits:

1. "Gavel-to-gavel" coverage on C-SPAN like usual.
    2. Michelle Obama will be speaking tonight.
    3. Bill Clinton (praying for Eastwood 2.0) will be speaking tomorrow to nominate the president for the democratic presidential nominee.
    4. The president will be speaking on Thursday to give his acceptance speech.
    5. The city of Charlotte raffled off "free speech zones" in an attempt to avoid confrontational protesters, but the interest in protesting seemed to be low.

That's the simple rundown on the DNC. Feel free to take this discussion to wherever you want it.

I live in Charlotte, and work at the airport where I have seen nearly 11,000 people arrive in the last 3 days. Thankfully I didnt have to deal with a single one of them, and only handled their luggage in the plane. I deal the luggage again on Friday when they are leaving.

The only news bigger than the DNC on the local tv is the storm showers and thunderstorms, which seem to be a daily occurance around here during the summer. It rained yesterday, canceling the free public event to more or less kick off the festivities "unofficially".

Two of the lousiest places in the US to hold conventions. One in a hurricane probably zone during hurricane season, and the other also in a hurrican probably zone, but also in an area ripe with torrential daily thunderstorms (there is one brewing above us now)

Interest is even slightly lower than the RNC because there is no Paul people to make things interesting.

Not interested in a week long infomercial.

Quote Originally Posted by DONeill73 View Post
    Two of the lousiest places in the US to hold conventions. One in a hurricane probably zone during hurricane season, and the other also in a hurrican probably zone, but also in an area ripe with torrential daily thunderstorms (there is one brewing above us now)
    Ya, the dems and the GOP sure chose good times and locations for their conventions

I honestly don't think I could care less about this democratic convention.

At least at the GOP one we had a new VP candidate to laugh at.

I would have gone down if my classes weren't starting up tomorrow. I was seriously considering just skipping the first week of classes and going down. I really don't understand why they're holding the convention this late. If I were them I would have held it two weeks ago. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by DONeill73 View Post
    The choice of convention location has nothing to do with weather or practicality and everything to do with the electoral map. The two parties hold their conventions in swing states on the hope that there are residual benefits in organizing the state party ahead of the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    Not interested in a week long infomercial.
    Ditto that, although having spent decades in sales, I find Slick Willie worth watching for his technical skill. Even if the content is rubbish.

Well so far the DNC has by far kicked the ever loving shit out of the RNC. Bill Clinton actually citing out numbers and figures while Paul Ryan was like "we got a detailed plan, so moving on." cemented it alone.

the RNC got attention for it seems all the wrong reasons.

We'll have to see how things play out in the polls to see who actually got a better convention bounce, but it is hard to see how the Democrats don't get the better side of things. The RNC was controversial each of the three major nights, with Christie's 2016 campaign speech, Ryan's speech being so factually-challenged that even the usual "both sides say shit" suspects couldn't let it slide, and Eastwood's chair interrogation. Ann Romney's speech and Mitt Romney's speech weren't bad, but they got overshadowed by the other headlines.

Meanwhile, Michele Obama's speech got rave reviews, Bill Clinton's speech may have been the most substantive policy speech in modern convention history and got rave reviews as well, and Obama's speech was passable to good. Unlike the RNC, none of their surrogates screwed things up in the golden hour of broadcast network coverage.

The whole thing was tripe. All idealism, pie-in-the-sky garbage, without the hard-hitting HOW they're going to implement their plans. Just like the Republican convention, basically.