Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: United States of Americas with 51 states?

Question United States of Americas with 51 states?

Hello, I would like to discuss something that is uncomfortable for some people.

As you know Puerto Rico is a colony of the U.S.A.

Here is a video to understand why it is a colony

Wisconsin Soldiers in the Spanish-American War - YouTube

OK, we saw as U.S.A. arrived in Puerto Rico

Now the problem of the status of Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico is the oldest colony in the world and the most populous with 3.7 million inhabitants' today, the system of government of Puerto Rico is the same when Spain colonized Puerto Rico, currently the island's colonial system is 500 years

Now, I ask you guys a Question...

You think Puerto Rico should be a state of the United States of America?

I ask this question because in Puerto Rico will make a plebiscite to choose our status two questions in November 6, 2012

1) Are you in agreement with the current status of Puerto Rico?
    Yes
    or No

2)If you answer is No chooses one of this status:

statehood of U.S.A.

sovereignty

independence

LittleDrummerGirl

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why move it from being a colony?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDrummerGirl View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Why move it from being a colony?
    Because we can not vote for president.

LittleDrummerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Furcub View Post
    Because we can not vote for president.
    That makes sense. Then just alter that policy? Or maybe it should be a state... I dunno, I'm a teenage girl, not a politician! >.<

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDrummerGirl View Post
    That makes sense. Then just alter that policy? Or maybe it should be a state... I dunno, I'm a teenage girl, not a politician! >.<
    That's one among of hundreds of causes that affect our government
    Last edited by Trevor; 04-Sep-2012 at 04:54. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

I'm leaning toward PR independence. I would like to see it a state but... I don't know Puerto Rico is a bit of a cultural gem of sorts and I think that if it became a state it would start to seriously get the reach around from the government. Well morso anyway.

It doesn't really matter to me, since it doesn't affect me much either way. It would be interesting to see a new state for the first time in over 50 years, though.

This isn't the first time that the issue of Puerto Rico's status has arisen. It's been voted on 3 times before - 1967, 1993, and 1998. The results of those can be found here. (Yes, it's Wikipedia, but it looks like the numbers are sourced directly from a government report, so it seems legit. )

Frankly, I think if Puerto Ricans want statehood, they should be allowed statehood. It's not really anyone else's decision but their own. If I were a Puerto Rican, I would probably vote for statehood. I mean, why forgo the full privileges and equal status that it brings? They'd have voting representatives in the federal legislature, they'd have voting privileges in federal elections. But yeah, ultimately it's up to the citizens of PR to decide what they want.

I thought that it was a territory. I dont know if they are the same thing when you boil all the politico BS off. But it's been my understanding for years that its a territory. Wikipedia defines PR as a unincorporated territory.

Yeah, as far as I thought, Puerto Rico was a U.S. territory, much like the Virgin Islands. I don't see much to gain by making it a state.