Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest answers needed

Default Honest answers needed

I ambling to keep this as short as I can. I am going to the dentist tomorrow to get some teeth drilled. Now I am not afraid of much but this little visit is taking the two scariest things, to me, and putting them in a two on one cage match against myself. To put it in perspective for you all, I am considering wearing a diaper because I am very certain I will most likely have some sort of accident. The only reason I am even up this late at night ( I live in FL) is because I have been having night terrors about the dentist. This happens every time I need to go to the dentist, but this time I know that a terrible fate awaits me. I have barely slept in the past two days! What I need is some reasuring testimonials. So I wanted to ask all of you; does the needle hurt, could I wear ear pluggs to drown out the sound of the drill, is there anything that I can do to calm my nerves before hand, does it hurt, ect. Please share your own experiences. I really need honest answers so that I know what to expect. I take incredible care of my teeth it was just the dang braces I had. Don't get me wrong I am greatful for the braces but I just wish I did not have to go head first in to a, hypathetical, pit of scorpions.

Thank you for helping,
    Jnoto

I have had a good amount of Dental work done. (braces, wisdom teeth pulled, fillings, some other stuff I cant remember)

Its not bad. Really really. Didn't bug me. Dental work is pretty benign. They should give you Novocaine or something for the pain with the needle so it doesn't hurt, feels weird more than pain.

Don't even worry about it.

I feel for ya! I have the dentist anxioty thing bad too. My worst was having my wisdom teeth pulled, all 4 at once. The pre pulling stress was a killer but it turned out to be no big deal. I split a tooth on a bone and it had to be pulled, again stress was way worse than the pulling. After all thease years I had a filling last year and again the sleepless night before was way worse than the filling which was over in minutes. The noise is there but it is just noise not pain and the novacane shot did not hurt because they swab a topical in the gum berorehand. Hang in there it'll be over before you know it and you will wonder why you were stressing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnoto View Post
    I ambling to keep this as short as I can. I am going to the dentist tomorrow to get some teeth drilled. Now I am not afraid of much but this little visit is taking the two scariest things, to me, and putting them in a two on one cage match against myself. To put it in perspective for you all, I am considering wearing a diaper because I am very certain I will most likely have some sort of accident. The only reason I am even up this late at night ( I live in FL) is because I have been having night terrors about the dentist. This happens every time I need to go to the dentist, but this time I know that a terrible fate awaits me. I have barely slept in the past two days! What I need is some reasuring testimonials. So I wanted to ask all of you; does the needle hurt, could I wear ear pluggs to drown out the sound of the drill, is there anything that I can do to calm my nerves before hand, does it hurt, ect. Please share your own experiences. I really need honest answers so that I know what to expect. I take incredible care of my teeth it was just the dang braces I had. Don't get me wrong I am greatful for the braces but I just wish I did not have to go head first in to a, hypathetical, pit of scorpions.

Thank you for helping,
    Jnoto
    Okay first off take a few deep breaths and calm down. Going to the dentist and having teeth drilled - cavities I'm presuming - can be nerve racking (speaking as a phobic patient myself) so I can very well understand why you're riled up. But from everything I've seen from support sites, it's pretty much routine; you check in at the front desk, you get taken back to a room and numbed up, they do the work, and you go home.

Now, onto what could help.
    The numbing injection should not hurt, especially if the doctor does it right, all you should feel would be a slight pinch, some tingling then nothing else.
    Don't use ear plugs that makes things very quiet, you'll still hear the sounds because they vibrate through your teeth/gums. Probably the best thing, is to bring along a music player (cd player, mp3, iPod etc) with a pair of headphones and crank up the music. That should help drown out the drill and give you something to focus on.
    To help calm your nerves before hand, when you get to the office/chair, imagine yourself in a different place, like say, ohh I don't know...your special place that nobody knows about. Or you could get psychological and get into a mindset of "dentists....hahaha there's far FAR worse things out there! A medical doctor helps to make me better, and a dentist helps me to keep my teeth in top form." Make sense?
    And one more thing, make sure to work out hand signals with your dentist, like if you need a break or you think something isn't right, then raise your hand or tap the armrests or something...whatever works for both of you.

Just remember, going to the dentist shouldn't be something to be afraid of, as normally the fears are unfounded and once you get through it, you'll feel silly for being so scared over something so trivial.

Final thought: for us phobics/generally scared, one visit at a time; Rome wasn't built in a day. (Forgive the cliche inspirational line )

Just think about how relieved you'll be when it's all over. The appointment will be what.. half hour to an hour.. then you are done!

If this is really a problem, most dentists will perscribe anti-anxiety medication (I dated a girl who had to take addavan to make it through the door).. but I'd say that is a last resort.

I myself have had a fair bit of dental work done. Fillings are no big deal if your dentist is competant.. but they can take forever (not as bad as a root canal though.. ). Once you get through the needles, which if done right are not as bad as you'd think.. it's pretty much just sitting there with your mouth open trying not to inhale too much enamel...

Thanks guys, all your advice really helps me to calm down. I am not looking forward to it but I think I can make it through it a bit easier now. In response to boundcoder, I was prescribed an anti-anxiety medication, but my dad said I did not need it. I think he is wrong based on passed experiences but I will do my best. Again thanks for being the guys in my corner to help me get ready for round one with these two heavy weight phobias.

Y'all are awesome,
    Jnoto

i'm totally scared of the dentist, but have had a lot of work done over the years.
    the last two replies give some good advice, but i wouldn't wear a diaper if i were you. it just introduces another issue for you to deal with (something else to worry about?).
    also, if you're lucky, you'll get a pre-numbing gel before the injection. i had that for the first time the last time i went for a yanking of a shattered tooth (and i'm not even, no longer, bothered by the injections). didn't even feel the injection.
    overall, i've found that it's the fear of the dentist that's the biggest worry (yes, even though i still cringe and grip the chair like it's the end of the world).

just let the dentist know how you feel beforehand and he/she should handle you with kid-gloves and talk you through everything (knowing what's coming takes the shock out of stuff - one less thing to worry about).

Quote Originally Posted by Jnoto View Post
    I ambling to keep this as short as I can. I am going to the dentist tomorrow to get some teeth drilled. Now I am not afraid of much but this little visit is taking the two scariest things, to me
    Have you looked into sedation dentistry? There are commercials for it here and one of the taglines is that if the dentist terrifies you, that you have the option of sleeping right through it.

Bringing in a music player with loud songs and a pair of earbuds really helps with the sound of the drill, which is actually pretty tiny. Just bring the earphones behind you head and insert them as normal so it doesn't get in the dentist's way. then crank up the volume an close your eyes and listen to your favorite music, preferably something rock.

my favorite song to do this with was easily...

(Not kidding at all. )

Default Re: Honest answers needed

Quote Originally Posted by Khaymen View Post
    Have you looked into sedation dentistry? There are commercials for it here and one of the taglines is that if the dentist terrifies you, that you have the option of sleeping right through it.
    If I'm not mistaken, that's a lot more expensive than regular dentist work because of the general anaesthesia. I've had a lot of dental work done and it's not that bad. Getting billed for it is the most painful part. LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2