Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Sucking, How Many?

Question Thumb Sucking, How Many?

I am curious if there are a lot of natural thumb suckers or thumb suckers in general in the TB/AB/DL Community. I have sucked my thumb my entire life, not exactly by choice although I do love it. But it is involuntary, it helps me fall asleep, but if I can manage to fall asleep without my thumb(very hard), when I wake up it will be in my mouth to this day. It has nothing to do with my AB side, it is ALWAYS there.

This was difficult for sleepovers, and my parents were always taking me to a shrink for this, and when they found a wet bed they had me put on medicine from the shrink it was horrible.

But back to the point, does anyone else suck their thumb. Do you do it involuntarily? Do you like it?

Even using a paci took some time because I am so used to the thumb. It was difficult to fall asleep with a paci. And if the pacifier falls out when I'm sleeping I will still wake up with my thumb in my mouth.

For me is is the most comforting thing in my life, my thumb and my diapers.

Again I was just wondering if it was a normal AB trait or if I am just extra special

I'm usually quite happy with my paci especially when sleeping, hardly ever lose it. but I also love to give my thumb a workout. both make me feel very babyish and very comfortable. I only do this in little mode "I hope" at least that's what I think.....it freaks me out to think I might slip my thumb in unconsciously at the wrong time. I do have a favorite thumb 'left' which currently has a bandaid on it...boohoo. can't wait till that goes. I just don't feel right with my other thumb.....yeah for the paci

Hmm It's an interesting topic for me since I try to thumb sucking. But never really enjoy it I prefer paci though.

I've been a thumbsucker for roughly 11 years. I've also had therapy to 'cure' it, which basically included putting smiley faces on the calendar for every day I didn't suck my thumb and talking about why I liked it. It didn't help.

The thing that eventually made me stop, was an (un)fortunate meeting between my thumb and door being slammed shut. It was taped up for a few weeks and when the bandages came off, it kept tasting bitter, so I stopped sucking it. It was positive change for my teeth, but whenever I suck on a pacifier, I'm back to when I was seven or eight years old. Good times.

I have been a thumb sucker my entire life. It started when I was under 1 and my mom took my pacifier away and my older sister decided to show me that I could suck my thumb. I was probly about 8 when my mom started trying to make me stop. She tried everything for years but I still did it. I was the same way about falling asleep. I had a really hard time falling asleep with out it and when I did I would wake up with my thumb in my mouth. A few years ago I switched to a pacifier, and it took me a long time to get used to it. But the binky is better for my teeth though it is still not good. There have been a few times that my binky would fall out and I would wake up with my thumb in. But now that is not very often.

My thumb sucking did not necessarily have anything to do with my AB side. Even to this day it is not always connected to it. There are times when I am not feeling little that I will just need to have my pacifier but not go into my baby mode.

It has always been very comforting for me and I do not intend to give it up.
    I do think that it is a fairly normal AB trait though but a lot of us AB's are life long thumb suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecars View Post
    I am curious if there are a lot of natural thumb suckers or thumb suckers in general in the TB/AB/DL Community. I have sucked my thumb my entire life, not exactly by choice although I do love it. But it is involuntary, it helps me fall asleep, but if I can manage to fall asleep without my thumb(very hard), when I wake up it will be in my mouth to this day. It has nothing to do with my AB side, it is ALWAYS there.

This was difficult for sleepovers, and my parents were always taking me to a shrink for this, and when they found a wet bed they had me put on medicine from the shrink it was horrible.

But back to the point, does anyone else suck their thumb. Do you do it involuntarily? Do you like it?

Even using a paci took some time because I am so used to the thumb. It was difficult to fall asleep with a paci. And if the pacifier falls out when I'm sleeping I will still wake up with my thumb in my mouth.

For me is is the most comforting thing in my life, my thumb and my diapers.

Again I was just wondering if it was a normal AB trait or if I am just extra special

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    Hmm It's an interesting topic for me since I try to thumb sucking. But never really enjoy it I prefer paci though.
    I feel the same way. I've tried using the thumb, but I think mine must be misshapen or something. It's simply not nearly as enjoyable as a pacifier.

I have sucked my thumb my entire life. I also enjoy a pacifier, but nothing beats my thumb. When I was younger, my parents tried to make me stop by tapeing my thumb and index finger together with masking tape. The only thing this did was make me switch to my other thumb. When they found out, they started tapeing up both thumbs. Then I found out I could get my thumb loose by wiggling it around until the tape loosened up, but the tape left a bad taste. I started using a pacifier that I kept hid in my room and my parents finally stopped tapeing my thumbs. As soon as they did, I started sucking again. I now suck my left thumb, but will suck my right one on occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    I do have a favorite thumb 'left' which currently has a bandaid on it...boohoo. can't wait till that goes. I just don't feel right with my other thumb.....yeah for the paci
    That's the same with me, I suck my left thumb only. I remember one time as a kid I found out another friend sucked his thumb too, and I was like wow! It was cold out so I took my glove off to put my thumb in my mouth (I was about 11 yrs old) and it was my right hand. And I immediately said to him "Wait, wrong hand!" and switched. I was so exited to find someone else and the gloves through me off. The right hand does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Furdle View Post
    I've been a thumbsucker for roughly 11 years. I've also had therapy to 'cure' it, which basically included putting smiley faces on the calendar for every day I didn't suck my thumb and talking about why I liked it. It didn't help.

The thing that eventually made me stop, was an (un)fortunate meeting between my thumb and door being slammed shut. It was taped up for a few weeks and when the bandages came off, it kept tasting bitter, so I stopped sucking it. It was positive change for my teeth, but whenever I suck on a pacifier, I'm back to when I was seven or eight years old. Good times.
    I went through all kids of therapy to cure it (forced) Sorry to hear about your thumb being slammed in a door, ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    I have been a thumb sucker my entire life. It started when I was under 1 and my mom took my pacifier away and my older sister decided to show me that I could suck my thumb. I was probly about 8 when my mom started trying to make me stop. She tried everything for years but I still did it. I was the same way about falling asleep. I had a really hard time falling asleep with out it and when I did I would wake up with my thumb in my mouth. A few years ago I switched to a pacifier, and it took me a long time to get used to it. But the binky is better for my teeth though it is still not good. There have been a few times that my binky would fall out and I would wake up with my thumb in. But now that is not very often.

My thumb sucking did not necessarily have anything to do with my AB side. Even to this day it is not always connected to it. There are times when I am not feeling little that I will just need to have my pacifier but not go into my baby mode.

It has always been very comforting for me and I do not intend to give it up.
    I do think that it is a fairly normal AB trait though but a lot of us AB's are life long thumb suckers.
    I too don't think i will give it up as it is part of me. I know it is not good for my teeth either but they're really not bad. I have sucked ever since I was born. Also when I was younger I used to pick fuz from my blanket and put it between my finger and lip when I was sucking my thumb to make it soft. I don't do that anymore though, I just suck normally. I suck my thumb even when I dont feel like an AB.

Quote Originally Posted by babygary View Post
    I have sucked my thumb my entire life. I also enjoy a pacifier, but nothing beats my thumb. When I was younger, my parents tried to make me stop by tapeing my thumb and index finger together with masking tape. The only thing this did was make me switch to my other thumb. When they found out, they started tapeing up both thumbs. Then I found out I could get my thumb loose by wiggling it around until the tape loosened up, but the tape left a bad taste. I started using a pacifier that I kept hid in my room and my parents finally stopped tapeing my thumbs. As soon as they did, I started sucking again. I now suck my left thumb, but will suck my right one on occasions.
    My parents used to put horrible tasting stuff on my hands at night to stop me from sucking. I would just suck until it was all gone.