Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying too much?

Default Paying too much?

You won't believe the price when you look at item number 320312163873 on EBay. As of this writing, the bid for two vintage boxes of Luvs toddler sized diapers is over $535.00. Just so everybody here knows, the older vintage Luvs that came in boxes are of VERY little difference in thickness and materials to the Abena X-Plus that's currently on the market. I know this, because I have bought similar diapers in the past, for comparison to the adult diapers available at the time.

Here's my personal opinion, and some may disagree. An old box, or bag of thick diapers is not worth paying hundreds of dollars for. And even if they are the toddler size, they are very uncomfortable for use as a pad and it would be impossible for any adult or teenager to stretch them enough to fit. And, the plastic is really no softer than that of a 3-tape retail Attends. Actually, Abenas are better, almost as thick, and with less padding shift! I want to also make it VERY clear, that diapers are NOT collector's items, according to what a couple antique dealers have told me. It amazes me that there are some folks who are so desperate for these, that they would part with two weeks worth of pay or more just to have them.

I also saw on EBay some old boxes of Curity diapers, in the muslin gauze weave sell for sums of over $250.00, each. I used to wear them for a skin condition before twill-weave diapers in the adult size were available. They were paper thin, but would still fit up to a 34" waist if you put at least 6 of them together, with a rather large bulge in the front. When they finally wore out, I bought some diapers from a service and later found some them adult size online, of the EXACT same weave and texture that they use on NEWBORNS. And these are way softer and more comfortable. You can't go wrong with what the professional diaper services use for cloth!

What people do, is up to them. I hope others here can agree, that there are better alternatives that are priced more reasonably.

Honeywell6180

I agree, that 500 is just to much to pay for a diapers, even if they are the best in the world its still not worth it imho.

EmeraldsAndLime

So they are similar to the Abena diapers, cost 20x as much, are really really old (well past shelf-life), and are small and probably don't fit properly?

I mean, I've never been one for baby diapers, so I'm probably missing something here... but even to me that really does not seem like it's worth it.

That's ridiculous. Those diapers aren't even size six. They're 3's. Even if they were six, $40 should pretty much be max for vintage diapers

$500 for a box of any disposables is just an obscene price. I have to wonder if the seller isn't somehow working with another user to artificially up the price simply to see if there actually is someone who would pay that price. Especially since they are way past there prime and of the very small variety.

some people collect diapers and are not AB's DL's I assume these could be people that never fully got to the level we have. Or they just collect diapers for the sake of it.

That's insanity. The only vintage diapers worth acquiring on ebay are the old 6 blue tape attends with the baby-powder scent they had before paperpak bought+demolished them as a product.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    $500 for a box of any disposables is just an obscene price. I have to wonder if the seller isn't somehow working with another user to artificially up the price simply to see if there actually is someone who would pay that price. Especially since they are way past there prime and of the very small variety.
    Oh believe me, Ace, there are folks who are gullible enough. In fact, I saw a box of 12 toddler Pampers (from around 1978 or so) sell for $600.00. ONE box of 12 diapers! I guess this auction's a "buy one, get one free" sort of deal, but maybe not if someone else decides they'll pay double. I can't help but feel sorry for the poor "winner". Less than two bags of 1/4 scale Abenas (if that), in a cute box?

Honeywell6180

That makes the $3 a diaper price of Bambinos seem, well, cheap and those actually fit adults. I can't imagine spending that much on diapers, especially when I know they won't fit me. I guess whoever is bidding that much has a lot of money to throw around.

I always think it's funny when people argue about how much people are willing to pay for any item.. whether it be diapers or a diamond ring. Different things are worth different denominations of money to various people.

The person willing to spend $500 on diapers (possibly a collector) may gain a lot more enjoyment from ownership of a rare product they can appreciate, rather than say another thing of similar value.. such as a playstation 3 for someone who likes video games. To each in his (or her) own I say!