Thread: If you had to potty train

Default If you had to potty train

Not sure if this topic has ever be brought up here, but I was thinking about it today and figured it would be interesting to ask this community.

If you were the primary caregiver of a toddler, when and how would you go about potty training them?

Personally speaking, I would wait until they were well into their second year before even putting them in pull ups. Parentally speaking, that would be setting myself up for alot of resistance on their part, but the way I feel about this subject; I'd want them to be able to enjoy diapers for as long as they can, even if that meant extra work on my part.

Well, at least it sounds good in theory, not sure how it would play out in real life lol

How would you go about it?

If I had the choice, seriously I wouldn't force anything but still introduce the potty at a normal age and show them what its made for and everything (around 2 yrs old) but would never ever force my child to use it unless he ask me for it or show interest in it, I wouldn't push him or her to get out of diapers quickly, would just respect their own rhythm on that, its proven these days that waiting for the child to ask for the potty rather than trying when the child doesn't want it is a lot quicker, even if that means that some boys are near their 4th birthday before they express any interest in the potty, you can be sure that when they want it, it will take around 1 week and they will be daytime potty trained at least. Bedtime is another story because each child is different, they could need a few extra months or even 1-2 yrs before they could be nightime trained, the best tip I've seen everywhere is to wait between 7 to 14 dry nights in a row before thinking of taking the night diapers/pull-ups off.

if i had a kid i would get them toilet trained as soon as possible. being ABDL, it's easy to forget that most people wouldn't enjoy sitting in a sack of their own excrement, and that it would be cruel and disrespectful to keep a kid peeing and pooing in diapers when they're old enough to learn to use the toilet.

in most cultures kids don't wear diapers past their first or second year. it's not that they're toilet trained that early per se, it's just that there's always a parent around who's familiar with the rhythms of the child's body and has learned to anticipate when they're about to go. in western culture we have day care and baby sitters and most families have two working parents. that's why our kids are still sitting around in stinky diapers at age 3 and even older.

i'll probably never get married or have kids so this is all hypothetical. so i'm going to envision an idyllic world where my hypothetical partner and i have enough leisure to care for our kids properly -- with one or the other of us around them constantly for the first few years of their life. that's how most kids throughout human history have been raised, and it would be easy to do without diapers if we had the leisure to give our kids that much care and attention.

and no, i don't think it would somehow harm or hamper a kid to not be given the opportunity to wear diapers. as long as they were raised by loving, easy-going parents and weren't shamed or humiliated when they had an accident i think a kid would be much better off being raised that way. and of course as an ABDL i'm all ABOUT diapers, and if i could somehow go back to being a toddler myself i'd want to wear them all the time. but if i was going to raise a kid of my own i'd have to look past what i personally would like and think about what would be best for my kid.

Quote Originally Posted by avery View Post
    if i had a kid i would get them toilet trained as soon as possible. being ABDL, it's easy to forget that most people wouldn't enjoy sitting in a sack of their own excrement, and that it would be cruel and disrespectful to keep a kid peeing and pooing in diapers when they're old enough to learn to use the toilet.

in most cultures kids don't wear diapers past their first or second year. it's not that they're toilet trained that early per se, it's just that there's always a parent around who's familiar with the rhythms of the child's body and has learned to anticipate when they're about to go. in western culture we have day care and baby sitters and most families have two working parents. that's why our kids are still sitting around in stinky diapers at age 3 and even older.

i'll probably never get married or have kids so this is all hypothetical. so i'm going to envision an idyllic world where my hypothetical partner and i have enough leisure to care for our kids properly -- with one or the other of us around them constantly for the first few years of their life. that's how most kids throughout human history have been raised, and it would be easy to do without diapers if we had the leisure to give our kids that much care and attention.

and no, i don't think it would somehow harm or hamper a kid to not be given the opportunity to wear diapers. as long as they were raised by loving, easy-going parents and weren't shamed or humiliated when they had an accident i think a kid would be much better off being raised that way. and of course as an ABDL i'm all ABOUT diapers, and if i could somehow go back to being a toddler myself i'd want to wear them all the time. but if i was going to raise a kid of my own i'd have to look past what i personally would like and think about what would be best for my kid.
    I totally agree with what you said but since we live on earth in North America, its not really possible to do that here, I know that a load of kids are kept in diapers simply because their parents don't want the trouble to get them potty trained soon or they don't have time to deal with this. Like I said, I wouldn't force my kids to stay in diapers and would do whatever I can to help them when they want to go on the potty, on the other hand, like I said, why push it to the max and risk a longer potty training, I know some kids around here their parents claim they are potty training them and they are both still in Pull-Ups and its clear they aren't ready for that step (you can tell they have no clue at what happens down there), and they are near their 3rd birthday twin boy ans girl this goes on since last december, mega fail here, if it takes more than 2-3 weeks, the child isn't ready and you should give up and try again after a few weeks or 1-2 months. But still she struggle and keep telling my aunt that she has enough of wet pants and others, clearly Pull-Ups aren't working but still she keep using them. Some are really weird sometimes.
    Last edited by Trevor; 01-Sep-2012 at 17:06. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

I am sure that the reason I like to go potty in my pants (diapered or not) is that I was completely potty trained before age 2. It's OK to introduce the potty before age 2, but without pressure. My goal would be to have the child using the potty by 2 1/2 but still no pressure. I would begin to be more aggressive about it if they were not trained by age 3. I would not do any scolding about wet or pooped pants until they were older.