Thread: Hornworms

Default Hornworms

I just got these hornworms from a pet store. They were selling them as feeders. I want to raise them to become moths. Doe's anyone have hornworms in their gardens or would know anything about them (as to what they eat ect)? I google "hornworms as pets" and all I get is how to kill them. I don't want to kill them I want to raise them.

when i was maybe 9 or 10 my dad's tomato plants had a few of the tomato variety in the vines and what not. I didn't keep mine for very long since I somehow traded mine away for tadpoles, much better deal. Anyways the ones I had and the ones that I killed ate the tomato vines leaf's.

the wikipedia page suggest they eat those or tabbaco leafs. The thing i'm wondering is where the hell did the ones in my backyard come from? I supposes a moth might of laid eggs but my house was far away from the tomatoe fields anyways.
    Last edited by Fire2box; 31-Aug-2012 at 23:33.

Falkio

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmon View Post
    I just got these hornworms from a pet store. They were selling them as feeders. I want to raise them to become moths. Doe's anyone have hornworms in their gardens or would know anything about them (as to what they eat ect)? I google "hornworms as pets" and all I get is how to kill them. I don't want to kill them I want to raise them.
    There are so many obscure hobbies out there, so I'm sure you'll find a guide to raising them somewhere on the net. Are they like silkworms? That's pretty cool!

Unrelated, but worth mentioning, is that I've been a member on a small airgun board for years, where much of the content actually needs translating from Russian. Its such a weird hobby, but there's a lot of people who do it. I'm also a member on a forum for cultivating mushrooms. No matter how niche your interest is, there's probably information about it out there. Too bad they're not seeds or spores. I'd actually be of some use.

Hmm, I think a friends of mine has horn worms. I cannot remember what he feeds them, as he breeds them and then sells them as feed for customers and keeps some for his own pets. I think he feeds them sugar water, as well as calcium supplements (that's mostly just for his lizards and stuff though). Hmm, I really can't tell you for sure. But I think he said they have an average lifespan of around 4 days.

-Ron

If you are on facebook look for "west coast roaches" they breed them. The owners are real nice so I'm sure they can give you the info you need.

Interesting website indeed a lot of good stuff

Interesting enough tho when I put anything else with my tarantula (for him to eat)he fears it I mean COME ON A big hairy spider is afraid of a roach or a fuzzy.
    Last edited by Hawkmon; 03-Sep-2012 at 16:48.

Interesting enough tho when I put anything else with my tarantula (for him to eat)he fears it I mean COME ON A big hairy spider is afraid of a roach or a fuzzy.
    Wouldn't crickets be cheaper as a food source for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Wouldn't crickets be cheaper as a food source for it?
    Yes they are but I wanted to give him a treat every now and then. It just amazes me that a BIG spider is afraid of a roach or fuzzy.

TheSpecterPrincess

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a rosehair tarantula that eats nothing but crickets lol. I've tried putting lizards, giant grasshoppers I've caught outside, frogs, and other things in there, but she wants no part of it. I'd like to try to put a pinky mouse in there one day, but I'd hate to buy the mouse and then it never get eaten. I don't think they're so much afraid as they are picky eaters. I could see one not eating a roach because it has a funky smell.

As for hornworms, I haven't seen one in a long time. While I'm thankful I didn't discover any on my tomato plants I had last summer, I have always found them to look fascinating. I had a few that I watched evolve when I was a kid, and if I had to suggest some food I'd say put lettuce, tomato slices, and water. Probably a stick to climb on too depending on how big the cage is. They turn into either a brown or grey Hawk Moth :3