Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Bible verse

Default Thoughts on Bible verse

I'm not one to take the Bible seriously-- many do because we live around a Christian nation. I am a Christian, baptized in the roman Catholic church, but have my own take on religion and do not correlate any denomination as right.

As for the Bible, I consider it somewhat of a guide more than anything. I thought it would be fun to get some of the ADISC community's take on this verse that might kind of seem against our lifestyle:

Corinthians 13:11
    King James Version of 1 Corinthians 13:11.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Let me know what you think.

References to this verse seem to come up fairly often. From a bit of Googling (one interesting result here), it seems that most interpretations of this verse do not take "child" and "man" so literally.

The verse is about lamenting (grieving, sorrow over). It is the lamentation over the loss of the innocence of youth-that by aging, these simple thoughts of understanding and acceptance fade and we struggle against our own faith and hopes through an adult mind. The entire chapter read in sequence speaks of charity as the only one of the three (faith, hope, charity) that is pure and without evil (corruption) or selfishness. The charity spoken of here is Acceptance as through the mind of a child.

In biblical times the word charity referred to acceptance or forgiving.
    Last edited by ilostthesheriff; 30-Aug-2012 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    I'm not one to take the Bible seriously... I am a Christian...
    So... it's okay for Christians not to take the Bible seriously?! I thought it was considered a sacred text and one of the most important aspects of the religion...

I assume it is supposed to be saying something like this:

Children must spend their time learning through play (e.g. using puppets to play out acts of morality). Adults should put away their childish things, stop treating life as a learning game, take it seriously and actually do something to change the world for the better.

But of course the Bible is so vague and ambiguous that almost anyone can interpret to fit with their personal beliefs, really. And if you don't take the Bible seriously anyway you can just ignore it and do whatever you feel like, I guess!

My take on the bible has chagned over the last few months I grew up in a christian home but I no longer associate with chritianity. So my take on that is more like it mean that as a child we have less reponsibilty and so therefore we were just focused on having fun and playing and stuff. But when we get older we have to have jobs and certain responsibilities. Even a full time AB has to have some way to make money and keep the bills payed and all that stuff. I that is more what I think it means. That when we are older we have to take on the responsibility that is needful to live in this world. Because later in the bible it talks about faith like a child and how we should believe like a child would believe. So I find that the ABDL life style should not be deemed right or wrong by the bible because there are many contradictions in it

I'm not one to take the Bible seriously-- many do because we live around a Christian nation. I am a Christian, baptized in the roman Catholic church, but have my own take on religion and do not correlate any denomination as right.

As for the Bible, I consider it somewhat of a guide more than anything. I thought it would be fun to get some of the ADISC community's take on this verse that might kind of seem against our lifestyle:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Historical and situational context go into this are not very modern. I wouldn't think much of it really since in verse 34 of the next chapter it says: "Let your wives keep silent in the assemblies, for it has not been permitted for them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as the law also says.". - Corinthians 1, chapter 14, verse 34 (World English Bible)

Hey ownage I'm a christian, and I also agree with you that no denomination is right. I hate religion. I know that God hates religion too. He just wants relationship.
    Anyway my take on this is:

1. You need to read the whole chapter. This chapter of 1 Corintians is all about love. What is, how it works, and how we are nothing without love. Paul (who wrote 1 Corinthians) also talked about how our knowledge and teachings are not perfect and incomplete in verse 10. What I think Paul was trying to get across in verse 11 is that he had given up foolishness.

2. You need to stop reading the King James Version it sucks. It was composed by a tyrant over 500 years ago. They have better translations that are more accurate to the origninal greek. Not to say that one version is better than another but KJV is to old for me.

Here's something that has my brain rattled and I hope it gives you some encouragement. Jesus said to his disciple in Matthew 18:1-5

1At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, 3 and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.

Basically all Paul is saying in this verse is that the Christian faith is a journey of learning and discovery, and that when He finally gets to heaven He will finally know for sure what he has chosen to believe all along. He then goes on to give a metaphoriacal exmple; "Basically you know like when you were a kid and started to grow up, you realised you learned new things you didn't know before? In the same way we when we get to heaven we will realise new things that we didn't know before." (paraphasing of the verse you cited)

That's all he's saying really, it's a reference to the experience of childhood to help his readers understand his teaching point by refering to something they could relate to, he isn't literally teaching about being grown-up in this verse.

Well put! That is exactly what I think paul was trying to get across.

in the context, Paul was simply using an analogy. He was really talking about doctrinal issues and spiritual maturity. I know this verse is often used to mean "grow up and be a man/woman," but that's really not what it's about.