Thread: Alison Gopnik: What do babies think?

Default Alison Gopnik: What do babies think?

Alison Gopnik: What do babies think?
    Alison Gopnik: What do babies think? | Video on TED.com

I just thought this was interesting.
    If anyone was stuff like this I would love to see it too.

I love her closing statement!
    "Maybe we should get more of the adults thinking like children."

Interesting but im not sure I buy that. there is a little thing called theory of mind which nobody is born with ( it develops around age 4) and a couple other things required with higher thinking and problem solving.

TED talks have always been good that was an interesting one to say the least.

Hey, i think those are some pretty cool ideas and observations. Kinda liked where she was going.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BabyTommy View Post
    Interesting but im not sure I buy that. there is a little thing called theory of mind which nobody is born with ( it develops around age 4) and a couple other things required with higher thinking and problem solving.
    I want to know more.

Theory of mind is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, and intentions that are different from one's own.[1] Deficits occur in people with autism spectrum disorders, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder,[2] as well as neurotoxicity due to alcohol abuse.[3] Though there are philosophical approaches to issues raised in such discussions, the theory of mind as such is distinct from the philosophy of mind.

Is that what you meen by theory of mind?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this at this link

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...-to-be-a-baby/

"There’s a brand new paper in Psychological Science by Faraz Farzin, Susan Rivera and David Whitney that provides some of the best evidence yet for the lantern hypothesis. The experiment itself involved tracking the eye movements of infants between 6 and 15 months of age. The researchers used a special stimuli known as a Mooney face.

What makes these images useful is that they can’t be perceived using bottom-up sensory processes. Instead, the only way to see the shadowed faces is to stare straight at them – unless we pay attention the faces remain incomprehensible, just a mass of black and white splotches. In this experiment, however, the babies were able to perceive the faces even when they were located in the periphery of their visual field.

(Trust me: You can’t do this.) Because their lantern was so diffuse, they were able to notice stimuli on a much vaster sensory stage. In subsequent experiments, the researchers found that this lantern of attention came with a tradeoff. While babies notice more, they see with less precision. In fact, the “effective spatial resolution” of infants’ visual perception was only half that of adults, although it steadily increased with age."
    Last edited by ShellyBelly; 30-Aug-2012 at 05:47. Reason: I put the same thing in twice by mistake. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ShellyBelly View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I want to know more.

Theory of mind is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, and intentions that are different from one's own.[1] Deficits occur in people with autism spectrum disorders, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder,[2] as well as neurotoxicity due to alcohol abuse.[3] Though there are philosophical approaches to issues raised in such discussions, the theory of mind as such is distinct from the philosophy of mind.

Is that what you meen by theory of mind?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this at this link

What Is It Like To Be A Baby? | Wired Science | Wired.com

"There’s a brand new paper in Psychological Science by Faraz Farzin, Susan Rivera and David Whitney that provides some of the best evidence yet for the lantern hypothesis. The experiment itself involved tracking the eye movements of infants between 6 and 15 months of age. The researchers used a special stimuli known as a Mooney face.

What makes these images useful is that they can’t be perceived using bottom-up sensory processes. Instead, the only way to see the shadowed faces is to stare straight at them – unless we pay attention the faces remain incomprehensible, just a mass of black and white splotches. In this experiment, however, the babies were able to perceive the faces even when they were located in the periphery of their visual field.

(Trust me: You can’t do this.) Because their lantern was so diffuse, they were able to notice stimuli on a much vaster sensory stage. In subsequent experiments, the researchers found that this lantern of attention came with a tradeoff. While babies notice more, they see with less precision. In fact, the “effective spatial resolution” of infants’ visual perception was only half that of adults, although it steadily increased with age."
    Theory of Mind is almost exactly as you explained it except the key part is to differentiate what you know (beliefs, interests, ect.) from what everybody else knows. I was merely using this as an example that Babies brains aren't wired for higher thinking yet. However they are wired to pick up certain things better, i.e. faces, this is an evolutionary link so that babies can recognize a) their own species, and B) their parent(s)

Was interesting to watch, thanks for sharing that.