Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering the Abena S4?

Default Considering the Abena S4?

I recently got some diapers from XP Medical and tried the Abena M4, Dry 24/7 and a Molicare sample pack. The Abena M4s were a little large on me and the tapes fit weird and bulky in the front when adjusted to prevent leaks. The Dry 24/7s fit similarly although slightly better. The Molicares both actually fit fairly well, with the smaller one being almost just right. I think the Molicare Super had a cloth-like outer covering and was actually ok with that, although I am looking for something a little more absorbent.

I am hoping to get a fit like the one shown in http://www.adisc.org/forum/content/1...lt-diaper.html . How dissimilar as a whole is the cloth-backed Abena S4 from the 'classic' plastic-backed Abena M4 and is that likely to give the fit I am looking for? Also, how do the Abena Delta Form M3 compare?

Edit: Does anyone have any pictures comparing the plastic backed Abena diapers to cloth backed ones of any size?

Alright, I had a mod change the title since the original one sounded like I was asking how to get the Abena S4, which is not much of a problem, while what I am really interested in is if they are worth getting and likely to fit.

Unfortunately, the plastic backed S4 has been dropped, and the only one available now is the "Air-Plus"

The size, shape and absorbency of the cloth Air-Plus version are, near as makes no difference, the same as plastic version.

The problems I have with the Air-Plus are the multiple limitations associated with cloth backing.

You can get a good fit initially, but after a while, the diaper will stretch and sag, and generally lose its shape.
    While we always say "cloth backed", they aren't really cloth. They have a super thin layer of plastic, which is extremely prone to pinhole leaks. Because of that, when the diaper is wet, so is everything you sit on.... (kind of defeats the point, if you ask me)
    The tapes are also terrible. There's really no other way of saying it: they don't work.
    Cloth in general is more abrasive than smooth plastic. This causes general discomfort where the leg gatherers sit, for some people anyway.

My overall opinion of the Air-Plus S4 - You're paying more to get less. Cloth backing is not a suitable complete replacement for plastic backing, and comparing the plastic and cloth Abenas is proof of that. I would say find a better product.

If you want to try them still, buy a sample pack from XP Medical before you over-commit to a full case.

Quote Originally Posted by AbenaLeaf View Post
    Unfortunately, the plastic backed S4 has been dropped, and the only one available now is the "Air-Plus"

The size, shape and absorbency of the cloth Air-Plus version are, near as makes no difference, the same as plastic version.

The problems I have with the Air-Plus are the multiple limitations associated with cloth backing.

You can get a good fit initially, but after a while, the diaper will stretch and sag, and generally lose its shape.
    While we always say "cloth backed", they aren't really cloth. They have a super thin layer of plastic, which is extremely prone to pinhole leaks. Because of that, when the diaper is wet, so is everything you sit on.... (kind of defeats the point, if you ask me)
    The tapes are also terrible. There's really no other way of saying it: they don't work.
    Cloth in general is more abrasive than smooth plastic. This causes general discomfort where the leg gatherers sit, for some people anyway.

My overall opinion of the Air-Plus S4 - You're paying more to get less. Cloth backing is not a suitable complete replacement for plastic backing, and comparing the plastic and cloth Abenas is proof of that. I would say find a better product.

If you want to try them still, buy a sample pack from XP Medical before you over-commit to a full case.
    They still have some S4 (with plastic backs) to my knowledge for sale on sites that I guess haven't run out.

I haven't heard about them pulling the line, I find this very disappointing news

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
    They still have some S4 (with plastic backs) to my knowledge for sale on sites that I guess haven't run out.

I haven't heard about them pulling the line, I find this very disappointing news
    Yea, they are officially discontinued, what a shame...

Bambinos are a great substitute, but they don't make them in smalls. The sizes do tend to run a little smaller, though.

Wellness do have a much smaller size, and similar fit to Abenas, but they have been known to be a bit problematic in the past. If the quality has improved, I would say the medium Wellness are a great alternative to the Abena S2/4.
    Last edited by AbenaLeaf; 30-Aug-2012 at 21:58. Reason: Removed double quote...

Bambinos are a great substitute, but they don't make them in smalls. The sizes do tend to run a little smaller, though.

Wellness do have a much smaller size, and similar fit to Abenas, but they have been known to be a bit problematic in the past. If the quality has improved, I would say the medium Wellness are a great alternative to the Abena S2/4.
    I have like a 26-ish inch waist XD

Bambinos just are not an option.

I guess I'll have to start seriously searching for a good replacement. Thanks for the comparisons to other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
    I have like a 26-ish inch waist XD

Bambinos just are not an option.

I guess I'll have to start seriously searching for a good replacement. Thanks for the comparisons to other options.
    Yea, that is a tough sized waist to fit...

If enough Canadians show interest, maybe B4NS will get some stock of the Tena Slip Maxi from Bambino...

Possibly another option.
    Last edited by AbenaLeaf; 30-Aug-2012 at 22:18. Reason: Removed the evil double quote!

Yea, that is a tough sized waist to fit...

If enough Canadians show interest, maybe B4NS will get some stock of the Tena Slip Maxi from Bambino...

Possibly another option.
    I could probably ask if the owner would get them in for me.

He seems like a very nice person, and maybe if I ask about getting them in and then shipped over they would be interested.

I understand they have got in Dry 24/7 but not smalls. Seems like this could be another option for me!

Glad that someone who knows (more than he should ) a lot about diapers around here.

Thanks AbenaLeaf!

If I supposedly am in the lower waist range for the Abenas, do the Bambinos run small enough that they should actually fit well on me? My big annoyance is having to pull the tapes so far forward and down that the front gets very bulky.

Also, what was the old quality issue with the Wellness diapers?
    Last edited by SpelunkingWolf; 31-Aug-2012 at 01:07. Reason: Removed double quote

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonman View Post
    If I supposedly am in the lower waist range for the Abenas, do the Bambinos run small enough that they should actually fit well on me? My big annoyance is having to pull the tapes so far forward and down that the front gets very bulky.

Also, what was the old quality issue with the Wellness diapers?
    Bambinos are a little less bulky in the front.

They have most of the bulk in the middle, where it should be. The size is a bit smaller. I'll use myself as an example...

I recently lost about 7 to 10 pounds from being very sick for a week. Now, the top tapes on an M4 overlap... Yes, it is very bulky in the front, you do get used to it. However, the Bambino's top tapes are still about an 1 to 1.5 inches apart. The fit is very different than an Abena, but it is still very good.

I would say if you are about a 28 to 30 inch waist, a Bambino will be just ok.

As for the Wellness diapers, they had a few issues. The ones I had had some pin holes. The tapes had some problems falling off. The plastic back-sheet is also quite loud.

I would say get samples of both. If Bambinos work, definitely go with them. If Wellness work better for your size, hopefully the issues have been resolved.
    Last edited by AbenaLeaf; 31-Aug-2012 at 01:42. Reason: Removed the dastardly double post :P