Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anime

Default Anime

So,

I've never been into anime...but I watched spirited away last week...

It is an amazing film...

I've now got all the studio ghibli film either here or on the way...

So, I'm now looking for more quality anime...

Not the finding nemo Pixar type films...

But films with real imagination...

I have to say...I figured Disney was anime just without subtitles...

I was so wrong...

So what else is out there I've missed...

B
    Last edited by Bigbabybret; 23-Aug-2012 at 09:42. Reason: Typo

Confusing post is confusing?

What's wrong with Finding Nemo? It's not the best Pixar movie ever, but it was still kinda sweet. There's lots of great Pixar movies... Disney Pixar films are only financed by Disney anyway, it's Pixar that did the work, there's only a few new (CGI) movies that was actually Disney without Pixar. And they weren't particularly successful...

And what does Disney have to do with Studio Ghibli?? I mean, it's good that you're going to watch other Studio Ghibli movies, especially since Spirited Away isn't even one of the best Studio Ghibli movies. But what are you even asking for here? More quality cartoons? Do they have to be Japanese? Do they have to be movies? What genres are you even looking for? What other movies/series do you like so that someone can suggest animated movies/series that you might like?

Cloudchaser

These are the best anime I have ever seen. Spectacular plots for each of them! And for Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood you don't have to watch Fullmetal Alchemist because Brotherhood is a better re-make of the original. Code Geass R2 is after Code Geass. They both have real imagination, but you might not like them if your not for some amazing action scenes! ^.^

Fullmetal Alchemist:

Edward and Alphonse Elric are two alchemist brothers searching for the legendary catalyst called the Philosopher's Stone, a powerful object which would allow them to recover their bodies (which were lost in an attempt to bring their mother back to life through alchemy). Born in the village of Resembool from the country of Amestris (アメストリス Amesutorisu?), the two brothers lived there with their mother Trisha Elric. Their father, Van Hohenheim, left home for unknown reasons and years later, Trisha died of a terminal illness, leaving the Elric brothers alone. After their mother's death, Edward became determined to bring her back through the use of alchemy, an advanced science in which objects can be created from raw materials. They researched Human Transmutation, a forbidden art in which one attempts to create or modify a human being. However, this attempt failed, ultimately resulting in the loss of Edward's left leg and Alphonse's entire body. In a desperate effort to save his brother, Edward sacrificed his right arm to affix Alphonse's soul to a suit of armor. Some days later, an alchemist named Roy Mustang visited the Elric brothers, and proposed that Edward become a member of the State Military of Amestris in exchange for more research materials to find a way to recover their bodies. After that, Edward's left leg and right arm were replaced with automail, a type of advanced prosthetic limb, built for him by his close family friends Winry Rockbell and her grandmother Pinako.
    Edward then became a State Alchemist (国家錬金術師 Kokka Renkinjutsushi?), an alchemist employed by the State Military of Amestris, which infamously annihilated most of the Ishbalan race (Ishbal) in the past decade. Becoming a State Alchemist enables Edward to use the extensive resources available to other State Alchemists. The brothers set off in search of the Philosopher's Stone as a means to restore their bodies. Throughout their journey, they meet allies and enemies, including those who are willing to do anything to obtain the Philosopher's Stone; Scar, one of the few surviving Ishbalans, who seeks vengeance on the State Alchemists for the destruction of his race; and the homunculi, a group of human-like creatures who carry pieces of the Philosopher's Stone inside themselves, and from it derive the ability to survive almost any harm.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood:

Edward and Alphonse Elric are two alchemist brothers searching for the legendary catalyst called the Philosopher's Stone, a powerful object which would allow them to recover their bodies (which were lost in an attempt to bring their mother back to life through alchemy). Born in the village of Resembool from the country of Amestris (アメストリス Amesutorisu?), the two brothers lived there with their mother Trisha Elric. Their father, Van Hohenheim, left home for unknown reasons and years later, Trisha died of a terminal illness, leaving the Elric brothers alone. After their mother's death, Edward became determined to bring her back through the use of alchemy, an advanced science in which objects can be created from raw materials. They researched Human Transmutation, a forbidden art in which one attempts to create or modify a human being. However, this attempt failed, ultimately resulting in the loss of Edward's left leg and Alphonse's entire body. In a desperate effort to save his brother, Edward sacrificed his right arm to affix Alphonse's soul to a suit of armor. Some days later, an alchemist named Roy Mustang visited the Elric brothers, and proposed that Edward become a member of the State Military of Amestris in exchange for more research materials to find a way to recover their bodies. After that, Edward's left leg and right arm were replaced with automail, a type of advanced prosthetic limb, built for him by his close family friends Winry Rockbell and her grandmother Pinako.
    Edward then became a State Alchemist (国家錬金術師 Kokka Renkinjutsushi?), an alchemist employed by the State Military of Amestris, which infamously annihilated most of the Ishbalan race (Ishbal) in the past decade. Becoming a State Alchemist enables Edward to use the extensive resources available to other State Alchemists. The brothers set off in search of the Philosopher's Stone as a means to restore their bodies. Throughout their journey, they meet allies and enemies, including those who are willing to do anything to obtain the Philosopher's Stone; Scar, one of the few surviving Ishbalans, who seeks vengeance on the State Alchemists for the destruction of his race; and the homunculi, a group of human-like creatures who carry pieces of the Philosopher's Stone inside themselves, and from it derive the ability to survive almost any harm.
    As the story progresses, Edward and Alphonse discover the vast expansion of Amestris was the result of the homunculi, who created and secretly control the State Military. The homunculi and much of the high-ranking military officers are commanded from behind the curtains by the creator of the homunculi, a man simply known as "Father", who gained immortality through a Philosopher's Stone, which he created by tricking Hohenheim centuries before the series' timeline. He plans to use Amestris as a gigantic transmutation circle in order to transmute the entire country for reasons unknown to the Elrics. When Edward and Alphonse discover Father's plans, they, along with other members of the State Military, set out to defeat him.

Code Geass and Code Geass R2:

The series is set in an alternative present where the world is split into three superpowers, Britannia, the Chinese Federation, and the Euro Universe (EU). The story takes place after the Holy Britannian Empire's conquest on Japan in August 10, 2010 a.t.b., by means of Britannia's newest weapon, the "Armored Autonomous Knight", or Knightmare Frame. In turn, Britannia effectively strips Japan and its citizens of all rights and freedoms and renames the country Area 11 with its citizens referred to as Elevens.
    Lelouch Lamperouge, the series' protagonist, is an intelligent exiled Britannian prince who was sent as a bargaining tool to Japan, along with his sister Nunnally Lamperouge, by his father, Emperor Charles zi Britannia, after his mother, Marianne vi Britannia, was murdered. When she was murdered, Nunally lost her sight and her ability to walk. After the war in the ruins of a Japanese city he then vows to his Japanese friend "Suzaku Kururugi" that he will one day obliterate Britannia. Seven years later, Lelouch gets caught up in a terrorist attack and finds a girl called C.C. (C2), who saves Lelouch's life from the Britannian Royal Guard, by making a contract with him that grants Lelouch a power known as Geass (ギアス giasu?). This power also known as the Power of the King (王の力 Ō no Chikara?), allows him to command anyone to do what he wants for one time, whether bending their will to live, fight, or die – though only with direct eye contact. After killing the Royal Guard with his new power, Lelouch decides to put his Geass to use and find the person who killed his mother while trying make a better world for his sister, Nunnally. Lelouch in the process becomes the leader of the resistance movement known as The Black Knights under the alter-ego Zero, gaining popularity and support among the Japanese on his way towards rebellion.

That post could of been shorter if it wasn't so obsolete.
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is just a remake of Fullmetal Alchemist, but keeping to the plot of the manga. The original Fullmetal Alchemist went off in a different direction in regards to plot, and changed the history and concept of what the homunculi actually were. That's a better way to describe Brotherhood, especially since you just copy-pasted the same paragraph <_<

And while I can agree that Fullmetal Alchemist and Code Geass were good series, I'm not even sure if that's what OP is even looking for yet.

Default Anime

I think my username is already walking advertisement for a certain anime, so I'll refrain from mentioning it.

Anyway, without an idea on what you're looking for it's hard to make a recommendation. Akira, Elfen Lied, Ponyo and Lucky Star are all good but they aren't necessarily for the same kind of people.

Good anime movies to watch:

In Studio Ghibli:

Kiki's Delivery Service
    The Secret World of Arietty

aside from studio ghibli

Akira
    Evangelion (Series, and films, and new films)
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    Summer Wars

Anime TV Shows:

Elfen Lied **
    Shin Chan **
    Sgt. Frog
    Higurashi: When They Cry **
    Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt **

That's about all I have for you though

(**) Indicating that the particular anime either contains a lot of nudity, graphic violence, gore, etc.

------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I think my username is already walking advertisement for a certain anime, so I'll refrain from mentioning it.

Anyway, without an idea on what you're looking for it's hard to make a recommendation. Akira, Elfen Lied, Ponyo and Lucky Star are all good but they aren't necessarily for the same kind of people.
    How can you possibly leave out Evangelion Near... I thought you had better taste.

The best Studio Ghibli movie is Grave of the Fireflies... because it's so sad and depressing~ T_T

But if you actually want me to recommend anime, prepare to be hit with a heavy list <_<

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
    How can you possibly leave out Evangelion Near... I thought you had better taste.
    I've never actually seen Evangelion.

(I'll back up When They Cry, amazing series)

Hellsing used to be my #1 fav anime of all time. Then i watched Ergo Proxy, cried before the end of the 4th episode and several other times in the series span. Think looked back and saw all the metaphors and was like "~BOOM~" *Brain imploded*, Then it hit #1 for eternity.

Lets just say DIGIMON,DIGIMON,DIGIMON,DIGIMON,DIGIMON,DIGIMON,DI GIMON,DIGIMON,and POKEMON,POKEMON,POKEMON,POKEMON,POKEMON,POKEMON,PO KEMON,POKEMON,