Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT- is it Propaganda or a legit news network

Default RT- is it Propaganda or a legit news network

Recently, some of my friends started watching the cable network RT- or Russia Today who's slogan is Question More... My view on what I've seen on it and whom they have on it is that it's clearly a proapaganda channel and not a real news channel.

The reason I ask is cause they have a show which features WikiLeaks founder Julian Assanage, they feature American radio host and conspiracy kook Alex Jones and they cover known conspiracy theories such as the NWO, chemtrails and the list can go on.

I know agruements can be made that the cable networks in the US are propaganda.

I am not sure what to make of RT but I have done my homework- they are in fact funded by the Kremlin, this is evidenced by easily looking things up on the internet- and that does scare me about this channel. The friends I refer to are friends who hate the MSM and how pop-culture laden it is now.

SO my question is this- what do you all think of RT- good and bad- I want to hear both sides of the coin on this channel. I am wanting to keep my eyes open on things and learn, thus why I am asking for pros and cons.

WildThing121675

I never heard of the station and in all honesty cant see a reason to care about it. I just looked up its wikipedia page and a magazine was the only thing that claimed it was funded by the Kremlin/government.

anyways if it was funded/oprated by the kermlin and the current poltical leaders in charger. I highly doubt they would put Alex Jones or Assanage up on a pedestal or a speaking podium. After all, they already got enough of their own fans as it is, they don't really need russia's help on that. I mean, if you were a person who's been acused of having elections rigged, would you publicly hold up a guy who likely wanks off to leaking poltical/military secrets and a conspiracy theorist, who already have a large fan base as it is?

I don't think I would.

Seriously if you want news, just stick with CNN and then sift trough waves of bullshit online.

Astra

It's a different kind of propaganda from what Americans are used to.

Well Everyday I'm watching Russia Today and Al-Jazeera and I'm found that News that they serve in RT and Al-Jazeera Is much better than in CNN,BBC,Fox News(They still exist?). Because they look at the other side of view rather than just western side of view.

Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    Well Everyday I'm watching Russia Today and Al-Jazeera and I'm found that News that they serve in RT and Al-Jazeera Is much better than in CNN,BBC,Fox News(They still exist?). Because they look at the other side of view rather than just western side of view.
    So your watching RT and AL-J for the same reason American's watch American news stations.

You want news about *your* area, not something 10,000 miles away across a ocean. anyways CNN has seemed to be looking at the situation in Syria, Egypt and Libya from how it affects citizens there. oO course whenever you get regime changes or civil wars, it's going to affect world politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    So your watching RT and AL-J for the same reason American's watch American news stations.

You want news about *your* area, not something 10,000 miles away across a ocean.
    Well to be honest RT and Al-J is not my area (I'm in South East Asia they in CIS and Mid East). But interesting point is. Did we just want to watch news exactly what we want it. Like you watching CNN because news they serve there is what you want to see and I watched RT and Al-J because the news they serve there is just what I want to hear.

I'm only asking cause some friends send me links from RT and I recently have watched some of the shows on cable TV and I really don't know what to make of it. I still watch CNN for news myself and not RT and nor do I take them seriously. Especially if they have Alex Jones on there as I know what Jones is after having to put up with him from friends for a while.

I just was wondering what people thought of them as RT has expanded to various cable services around the US. I can see a half-hour news show from RT on local cable and sometimes I admit I do check it out cause of my friends.

The Julian Assanage thing I have yet to watch and nor do I have the stomach as I am not a supporter of Assanage or WikiLeaks. So- I may be a little biased and I do admit that. For that- I do apologize. Anyway, just was wondering what people thought of them...

WildThing121675

Well if you ask me there are no such things as "legit news network" in major international network since every one of them is filled with propaganda from their representative country.

Russia Today is at least a news station. That's something I'd have trouble saying about MSNBC, CNN or Fox News while keeping a straight face. They, unlike the American 24/7 news network, are not in the business of entertainment.

I have, however, heard quite a lot of accusation of bias from RT when it comes to their domestic coverage. It's certainly not hard to believe considering the current situation in Russia. The only RT clips I've seen weren't about domestic issues, though, and apart from one presenter that was so bad he'd be right at home on any US "news" network they seemed okay. I'd have to follow their coverage of Russian domestic news more closely to really get a first-hand idea of whether or not they are biased but I highly doubt they say much bad about Putin.

Essentially, it won't replace the CBC and the BBC as one of my two favourite news source. From what I've heard, Al-Jazeera is also really good, though I've never really looked into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post

You want news about *your* area, not something 10,000 miles away across a ocean. anyways CNN has seemed to be looking at the situation in Syria, Egypt and Libya from how it affects citizens there. oO course whenever you get regime changes or civil wars, it's going to affect world politics.
    Frankly if you want good coverage of American politics you're better of with the BBC or even the CBC than CNN. I find their coverage is generally much better (and mercifully less condensed - they don't spend an entire week talking about every minute aspect of the campaign that people ultimately forget by twilight the next day).
    Both the CBC and the BBC, as crown corporations, are legally obligated to stay politically neutral and it generally shows in their coverage (they aren't completely unbiased, obviously, but they clearly try to be). Their coverage is also a lot less focused on the petty aspects of American politics since, apart from a quick summary, foreigners couldn't care less about the finer points who had ate a dog on the roof of their car in a roadtrip to Venezuela.

That and if you want American-centrist coverage of politics, NPR seems pretty good. And they certainly seem to be skeptical of both Democrats and Republicans. Not that I blame them...

I have to agree with archer in that we watch news sources that support our political philosophies. I get my news from several sources, the most obvious from the major news networks such as ABC, NBC, etc. I subscribe to our local newspaper and I listen to public radio. Some of their sources come from the BBC as well as from their own reporters.

My own personal opinion about Fox News is that extremists such as Fox News pose the greatest threat to democracy in the United States because people believe their propaganda. Their thrust is that all Democrats should be replaced by Republicans, but if that were to happen, and we only had Republicans in congress, how would we have a representative democracy? Wouldn't we have a dictatorship? I personally like it when we have some balance in congress, and compromises must be made. I would feel better if we had other viable parties as well. I also wish more intelligent people would run for office.

As for RT News, I can't see myself ever watching it for the same reasons I don't watch Fox News or MSNBC. I really do like fair and balanced, if that's possible.