Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiking and Diapers

Default Hiking and Diapers

I was planning on wearing diapers during long hikes and walks to first off experience wearing them for the first time and as well as go to the bathroom in them instead of going in the bushes and dirty park bathrooms. My plans for changing would be in bathrooms and in my car while parked in safe area. Anyone have any two cents to throw in feel free.

Ss

Chafing could be a major problem, as well as heat from your diaper if it doesn't breathe well.

Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth really, unless you have some amazing ability to piss while you're walking. I mean if you could just do that it'd be pretty sweet don't get me wrong. But if not then you're going to be stopping for a leak anyway right?

Maybe I'm missing the point. It's just that you're acting like it'll save you time or will be more convenient. If you wanna do it for the enjoyment of wearing then it shouldn't be a problem unless you are on a 12 hour hike and never change or something.

DMonster

I've played lacrosse in a diaper before, and let me tell you, it was absolutly terrible. After the first minute I knew that I hadn't wet but my diaper was soaked with sweat, it was too bulky to really move around with, there was no real time for me to use it, I kept having to readjust my pants so that it wouldn't show, and above all, I was uncomfertable. For me, maybe it's different for you, diapers are more of a relaxed, laid back experience. When I am diapered I like to lounge around. Every once in a while I'll wear one around the house or when I'm in my yard, but never when I'm active.

I would personally advise against it. I just know how uncomfortable mine becomes when walking across campus on a hot day. I can't image the discomfort after an all-day hike.

Unless it is cool out and you can vaseline or diaper cream up everything including just past the edges of the diaper it would chafe like crazy and hurt, even with a cloth diaper and cover I cannot see going for more than a mile at a time comfortably.I day this from actual experience we have three beagles and walk a lot in areas with no bathrooms at all and I have about a 90 minute bladder, and so tried the diaper walk/hike thing on a shorter walk about 2 miles for us, it was convenient on the walk but not so great later on. So I would recommend the bush method over the diaper or park bathroom if possible, cleaner and easier on you. That said if you are insistent on wearing one on a hike a slow pace really helps though that is generally not how hiking goes, I have done five miles in diaper and it was not to bad as long I walked slow about 3-5mph, though this was in February when it was about 40F out which is cold for Florida.

Here's an opinion from someone who hikes regularly, for their job.....

I don't recommend you hike with diapers, the chaffing alone will make you regret it. The other bummer would be if you spring a leak, nowhere to change while on the trail.

It sounds fun, and would be an adventure, don't get me wrong, but it would be an uncomfortable one.

if you're not used to wearing diapers, don't hike in it for your FIRST time wearing a diaper - you won't have the fit right, won't know what works for you in terms of powder / cream, won't enjoy it, your skin isn't used to it and you most likely won't be able to pee while walking. I've worn 24/7 for a few years... a hike doesn't scare me, nor does carrying a diaper bag and getting changed when it's needed (eg, diaper falling apart / hindering movement), nor does the friction of a diaper I put on correctly. Pick something more relaxing to start with - learn how to put on a diaper first (in a way that fits you!) I've played sports in diapers, and always use my diaper when needed - but it's years of practice that made doing that comfortable for me - eg, I don't worry about others noticing, and since wearing a diaper to me is like breathing it doesn't distract me either. Enjoy your first diapering experience by making sure you have time to experience the diaper and aren't trying to avoid twisting your ankle...

Just my 2 cents... :P

Quote Originally Posted by lacutah View Post
    if you're not used to wearing diapers, don't hike in it for your FIRST time wearing a diaper - you won't have the fit right, won't know what works for you in terms of powder / cream, won't enjoy it, your skin isn't used to it and you most likely won't be able to pee while walking. I've worn 24/7 for a few years... a hike doesn't scare me, nor does carrying a diaper bag and getting changed when it's needed (eg, diaper falling apart / hindering movement), nor does the friction of a diaper I put on correctly. Pick something more relaxing to start with - learn how to put on a diaper first (in a way that fits you!) I've played sports in diapers, and always use my diaper when needed - but it's years of practice that made doing that comfortable for me - eg, I don't worry about others noticing, and since wearing a diaper to me is like breathing it doesn't distract me either. Enjoy your first diapering experience by making sure you have time to experience the diaper and aren't trying to avoid twisting your ankle...

Just my 2 cents... :P
    Thanks! :p I feel silly that did not look into all of these things. I guess I'll start with wearing one and using one at home when I can.

Having a few experiences with light hiking while padded since moving to Seattle, I hate it :P

As it was mentioned above, for me, padding is meant to be relaxed in. Little kids aren't thrown onto a mountainside and expected to have their little legs carry them to the top; that's when daddy throws you onto his shoulders and carries you! ^^ Analogously, I find wearing while doing any kind of strenuous (or even moderate) activity is both uncomfortable and not all that authentic to begin with....if that's what you're shooting for.

If you just wanna wear because you love being padded, then maybe you will enjoy it. Still, I would heed the advice of the other posters. You will undoubtedly be a bit discomforted, especially if it is going to be your first time wearing.