Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tony Scott

Default RIP Tony Scott

Tony Scott director director of Topgun, Enemy of the State, Spy Game and Man On Fire, Unstoppable, to name a few of his most well known movies took his own life by jumping off a bridge.

I can't understand why he decided to kill himself given that Unstoppable made 130+ million dollars and a handful of his movies are good to excellent.

Personally "unstoppable", "man on fire" and "enemy of the State" are my top three favorite film's of his and are likely easily within my top 100 list if I had the desire to write one. I'd assume they all would even crack the top 50.

I would really like to know why he killed himself, so hopefully they release the suicide note at some point. His fan's (such as me) don't have any real right to know what it said. But a lot of us really liked his movies.

StefanHasDiapees

I do not mean to belittle your sadness over his death, but the implication you made that because he was rich and successfull means he shouldn't have had a reason to kill himself is an unfortunate one, because the obverse becomes implied; that the poor and unsuccessful have every reason to kill themselves.

I know you don't mean that, but it is an easy thing to assume.

The rich and successful are just as prone to depression spells, undiagnosed schizophrenia, etc. etc. as the rest of us.

(For the record, I think Top Gun was one of the most assinine, "America, love it or leave it" chest-thumpers ever made).

That said, it is indeed sad whenever anyone takes their own life.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanHasDiapees View Post
    I do not mean to belittle your sadness over his death, but the implication you made that because he was rich and successfull means he shouldn't have had a reason to kill himself is an unfortunate one, because the obverse becomes implied; that the poor and unsuccessful have every reason to kill themselves.

I agree. I'm sure you didn't mean it, but I was thinking the same thing while reading your post.

And yeah, absolutely sad whenever someone feels the need to take their own life.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanHasDiapees

The rich and successful are just as prone to depression spells, undiagnosed schizophrenia, etc. etc. as the rest of us.

(For the record, I think Top Gun was one of the most assinine, "America, love it or leave it" chest-thumpers ever made).

and...

Quote Originally Posted by abdl690 View Post
    I agree. I'm sure you didn't mean it, but I was thinking the same thing while reading your post.

And yeah, absolutely sad whenever someone feels the need to take their own life.
    My thoughts as well...

I don't see how that post could be made out to mean that the rich have no reason to kill themselves, and the poor do. I see it as him explaining that the man was very clearly well off, which would make anyone giddy.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I don't see how that post could be made out to mean that the rich have no reason to kill themselves, and the poor do. I see it as him explaining that the man was very clearly well off, which would make anyone giddy.
    "giddy" so it would seem...

...at any rate, the 'rich' ,or famous are just as susceptible to depression that can lead to suicide, as much as the 'poor', or anyone else....

Doesn't matter how much monetary-wealth anyone with a severe-disease, or a severe-disorder has...if it isn't properly treated, you'll face the same dire consequences.

And, you probably wouldn't even be able to feel giddy...

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    "giddy" so it would seem...

...at any rate, the 'rich' ,or famous are just as susceptible to depression that can lead to suicide, as much as the 'poor', or anyone else....

Doesn't matter how much monetary-wealth anyone with a severe-disease, or a severe-disorder has...if it isn't properly treated, you'll face the same dire consequences.

And, you probably wouldn't even be able to feel giddy...
    I never said otherwise though.

Tony Scott... he was a director that had major talent but never quite cracked the artform. I've enjoyed a number of his films immensely but his background as an ad-man really hampered his abilities IMO. I imagine it would be hard being the younger brother of a more recognized/respected filmmaker -- regardless of how commercially successful your own works are.

That aside, he could have been diagnosed with a terminal illness or (more likely) was simply prone to depression.

Last article I saw indicated he had inoperable brain cancer. If that's true, I can't argue with his decision to go out on his own terms. At least he had sufficient time on the planet to leave a mark. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by StefanHasDiapees View Post

You get on my case for something i clearly didn't imply or mean then just use the topic to boast that "Top Gun Sucks by the way". I don't care for top gun at all either, the best it's ever done by me was 'inspire" a rollercoaster now known as "Afterburn" at California Great America. I can see why people did and do enjoy top gun along with many of his movies. I disliked domino, but I didn't feel the need to complain/bash it even though I saw it at the movies. Because after all, he made at least 3 other films i've enjoyed and to that I'm thankful.

clearly his movies are a lot better then Expendables part 52.

Quote Originally Posted by abdl690 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    and...

My thoughts as well...

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I never said otherwise though.
    Same as well.

All I did was mention his really successful movies and pointed out I enjoyed a few of them. I never said nor implied he didn't have a right to kill himself, if you want to see any of that you should likely view the adisc topic on suicide. Asides from that I just said I personally would like to find out why. so please tell me exactly how any of what I said implied he shouldn't of killed himself?

If I didn't care for his movies at all and just said rest in peace and thats it.. would that of been belittling him too? Would it be better if it came from someone who didn't give a crap about his movies?