Thread: Stupid jobs with stupid people (Mini-rant...)

Default Stupid jobs with stupid people (Mini-rant...)

I just need to vent. I`ve been in the workforce for a few years now and I`ve done everything between acting and working in construction. This year, as a student job, I decided to take up a position in a local gas bar. Just as a part-time position making minimum wage. The job is alright, the work is easy enough and the hours are good. Some of the people are nice, others are dicks. It`s about a 50/50 spread.

Anyway, today I was scheduled to work, the boss even called me last night to make sure I could work today. I was scheduled from 8am to 5pm. A 9 hour shift; Not bad. So, I wake up at 7, get ready and head out the door to my job. 15 minutes of driving later, I pull into the parking lot and head inside. I serve a few people and then another person I work with walks through the door. There's only supposed to be 2 people on in the mornings, but right now there are three of us there... Someone fucked up. The senior member calls the boss and tries to sort it all out. Apparently, the boss fucked the whole deal up and I shouldn't have even been in today in the first place, I was pissed, considering she told me that I needed to be there for 8 am.

So, she sent me home and now I have to go back for a shift from 12-5... And this rots me to the core for a few reasons. I take my work very seriously and every hour means a lot to me, and I just got shafted on 4 HOURS of work for no reason. Second reason, I'm a student and I squeeze every penny for what it is worth; I drove for half an hour, round trip, to go to work today and it wasn't even necessary. The third thing is the fact that since this is just a summer job, there's no union and I cannot even attempt to get paid for the half-hour that I was there...

So, I'm a little pissed off right now. Considering the fact that this is a national chain, I would have assumed they'd have their shit together. Needless to say, when I was told to go home, all I did was shake my head, gas up, and head home. I'm finished there as of next week, permanently.

-Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    I just need to vent. I`ve been in the workforce for a few years now and I`ve done everything between acting and working in construction. This year, as a student job, I decided to take up a position in a local gas bar. Just as a part-time position making minimum wage. The job is alright, the work is easy enough and the hours are good. Some of the people are nice, others are dicks. It`s about a 50/50 spread.

Anyway, today I was scheduled to work, the boss even called me last night to make sure I could work today. I was scheduled from 8am to 5pm. A 9 hour shift; Not bad. So, I wake up at 7, get ready and head out the door to my job. 15 minutes of driving later, I pull into the parking lot and head inside. I serve a few people and then another person I work with walks through the door. There's only supposed to be 2 people on in the mornings, but right now there are three of us there... Someone fucked up. The senior member calls the boss and tries to sort it all out. Apparently, the boss fucked the whole deal up and I shouldn't have even been in today in the first place, I was pissed, considering she told me that I needed to be there for 8 am.

So, she sent me home and now I have to go back for a shift from 12-5... And this rots me to the core for a few reasons. I take my work very seriously and every hour means a lot to me, and I just got shafted on 4 HOURS of work for no reason. Second reason, I'm a student and I squeeze every penny for what it is worth; I drove for half an hour, round trip, to go to work today and it wasn't even necessary. The third thing is the fact that since this is just a summer job, there's no union and I cannot even attempt to get paid for the half-hour that I was there...

So, I'm a little pissed off right now. Considering the fact that this is a national chain, I would have assumed they'd have their shit together. Needless to say, when I was told to go home, all I did was shake my head, gas up, and head home. I'm finished there as of next week, permanently.

-Ron
    You should really bring this up with your boss...

To my knowledge if you have done the work they can't not pay you for the hours. I could be mistaken, but I'm nearly certain that there is no way a boss can not pay their staff because of a mess up on their end. Anyways, it's worth the try, and you should look into this if he's not planning on paying you (Which is what I get from reading this). If he isn't going to pay you, you may be able to fight him for it.

Then again, for 4 hours it's probably not worth your time... That doesn't mean you shouldn't look into this further.

Edit: I re-read this and realized I misunderstood. I don't think the union has anything to do with this, you've worked your half-hour, you are entitled to the pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobie View Post
    You should really bring this up with your boss...

To my knowledge if you have done the work they can't not pay you for the hours. I could be mistaken, but I'm nearly certain that there is no way a boss can not pay their staff because of a mess up on their end. Anyways, it's worth the try, and you should look into this if he's not planning on paying you (Which is what I get from reading this). If he isn't going to pay you, you may be able to fight him for it.

Then again, for 4 hours it's probably not worth your time... That doesn't mean you shouldn't look into this further.

Edit: I re-read this and realized I misunderstood. I don't think the union has anything to do with this, you've worked your half-hour, you are entitled to the pay.
    I dunno, I figure I'll just cut my losses and move on. I'm finished there in a week regardless, and the boss admitted to messing up. But I'd like to also add more fuel to the fire. When I returned to work today, the guy who showed up (A good buddy of mine) told me that he was sick. He sure sounded sick, so he ended up leaving as soon as I showed up. So I don't understand why I was sent home, while my friend was sick and wasn't able to do a full shift anyway! Doesn't make sense. He could have been home resting, while I covered for him...

-Ron

Well if no-one who...cares basically (management) is there, then they aren't likely going to know he is sick unless he says he is sick and thus doesn't come in. The fact he worked any food service job while feeling sick is a major issue though.

Yes and at the heart of the problem is bad management. I see it happen in a lot of different places. Now imagine working for a church where management is the Personnel committee, made up of average church members, many if not most who have absolutely no experience in management or business, and worse, church music, as in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    Well if no-one who...cares basically (management) is there, then they aren't likely going to know he is sick unless he says he is sick and thus doesn't come in. The fact he worked any food service job while feeling sick is a major issue though.
    The thing about management is, there is basically ALWAYS a manager there. There are offices in the back of the building where the owners do a lot of their work, plus the manager tends to drop in every 3 or 4 hours.

Check you local labor laws and see if there is rule about the minimum number of hour you need to get paid for if you come in and get sent home. In Alberta it's four.

I work in a grocery store and i hate impatient people there they just complain about the little things. I refer to them as EDCs