Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever bought a crib from here.

Default Has anyone ever bought a crib from here.

Has anyone bought AB crib through here before? Adult Baby Furniture - ABDL

A standard crib from that site is more than $1000. No way I'll ever afford that in one day, although I would really enter sleeping in a crib.

To be honest, I've seen MUCH better looking adult baby cribs. Heck, I think it would be a fun project designing and building your own! I'm fairly skilled in woodworking... I've taken shop classes every year in high school... sometimes more than one shop class in a semester schedule... Anywho, $1000 is ridiculously overpriced for a crib. It's really no more than $200 or $300 worth of wood. You could hire someone to build you a high chair for cheaper!

For the longest time, I thought I would never want one. And yet...

I really have been yearning for one as of late. Sadly, although probably for the better, my tiny apartment can't fit another matchstick within its confines, let alone a giant crib. In my mind, I am shooting for being able to find a caretaker I can move in with, at which point I will start working towards said crib.

I like the ones featured in the snapshots. I have no talent in crafting furniture, so I would likely just save up, swallow that bitter pill and fork over the cash, unless...

Quote Originally Posted by Wambles View Post
    Heck, I think it would be a fun project designing and building your own! I'm fairly skilled in woodworking... I've taken shop classes every year in high school... sometimes more than one shop class in a semester schedule... Anywho, $1000 is ridiculously overpriced for a crib. It's really no more than $200 or $300 worth of wood. You could hire someone to build you a high chair for cheaper!
    ...a certain fellow member is looking for a summer woodworking project in exchange for fair compensation.

My real dad was going to build one but he had three strokes so far including mini too. The reason I was asking is because said he will pay someone to build it so I'm thinking local custom furinure woodworker may be the best option sine he cannot do now. It would be a fun project to do with my real dad but sine he had the strokes it been hard for him to do things because of his balance cent it not as good anymore.
    Last edited by Poohbearboy; 14-Aug-2012 at 09:20.

I like an enclosed space when I sleep. I wonder if a four poster bed with curtains that come down might not be enjoyable, and building a wooded slated cage for around your bed. You could build four slated frameworks and have them connect in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambles View Post
    To be honest, I've seen MUCH better looking adult baby cribs. Heck, I think it would be a fun project designing and building your own! I'm fairly skilled in woodworking... I've taken shop classes every year in high school... sometimes more than one shop class in a semester schedule... Anywho, $1000 is ridiculously overpriced for a crib. It's really no more than $200 or $300 worth of wood. You could hire someone to build you a high chair for cheaper!
    As someone that works in a custom shop dealing in what I consider similar enough to comment, this is how we price fully custom projects.

We charge triple whatever the cost of materials is (so 600-900, in this case), plus charge the labour to actually build it (~65/hour/man, min. $130). At that rate, ~$1000 seems pretty reasonable, though whether their work is actually GOOD is still up for question.Plus, you only look at the wood. What about the other minor parts you need? Hinges or some kind of way to "open" the crib, for instance. The costs pile up.

The thing is, you're NOT paying for just the materials, though. You're paying for the materials AND the person to actually make it "properly". If they aren't making it properly, then it isn't worth it. If they are, it's worth it if you are otherwise unable to do it. If you can do it yourself, it's probably a lot cheaper... but so is pretty much everything else you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post
    ...a certain fellow member is looking for a summer woodworking project in exchange for fair compensation.
    Woah woah woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves! hahah... Besides, I'm already working on an adult high chair as we speak

Too bad my local lumber yard has crap lumber. I purchased some plywood for the seat & tray and it's absolute garbage... but I suppose I can make it work with a bunch of wood putty and lots of sanding...

Thats my biggest obstacle when it comes to building AB/DL furniture... Where to get decent wood? Nearly every lumber yard near me is crap.

Falkio

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post
    I really have been yearning for one as of late. Sadly, although probably for the better, my tiny apartment can't fit another matchstick within its confines, let alone a giant crib. In my mind, I am shooting for being able to find a caretaker I can move in with, at which point I will start working towards said crib.

I like the ones featured in the snapshots. I have no talent in crafting furniture, so I would likely just save up, swallow that bitter pill and fork over the cash
    Onecho, if you're looking for a top quality crib, look into getting one custom made from Thrashbear. I've slept in them once before, and will never forget the experience. They're huge, great looking, and not overly expensive. I went to visit a friend for AC a few years back, and a mutual friend of Thrashes had a full nursery in the attic. I've also seen other things of his, and everything is top quality.

When you're finally ready to get one, let me know man. I'll chip in if you're still local. Plenty of room for two. <3

I have this one on order.
    It's $$$ but then to be honest
    this is where I have to go...
    "did I go to far with it"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crib style.jpg 
Views:	2384 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	13760

But then I am not in debt to any one
    and I think I will really enjoy the
    experience. So cost VS Benefit.