Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greifing in online video games.

Default Greifing in online video games.

After I started getting into PC gaming, my Wii fell to the wayside with it's continual lack of games I personally want to play. I know there's a lot of good games on the wii but I would hardly call any of them great.

So, I ended up "hacking" my wii to play games off a hard drive for faster load times, and also to cheat/grief in Mario Kart Wii. Normally I am a "for the win" cheater either using star or infinite lighting.

Though at other times I solely target someone with the highest ranking and keep hitting them over and over via star power. Keeping them in place for the most part until they have no choice to come in last place or simply disconnect.

I'm in no way saying or even thinking this makes be a better player. In fact I'm a horrible player for it. I only do it for my own amusement and thanks to mario kart's online system, it's completely random as to who get's targeted.

I also admit hacking ruins games and yes this is the overall goal of hacking at least for me. Nintendo has paid attention to it and tried to ban players, but there's cheat's to get unbanned anyhow.

people hacking the wii so easily and it's online games have hopefully convinced Nintendo to go all in with digital gaming, such as letting games be patched not just the system itself.

So, has anyone else greifed in gaming before?

I play team games pretty much exclusively so I never grief. The only times that I play like an idiot are when we've all decided to, or when the game is completely won anyway, and we can afford to / have planned to dick around.

I used to be a script kiddie in Maplestory though. Nothing was more fun in that game than watching all the monsters in a map get sucked on top of you and die all at once, netting you a crap load of money and items. I've been permabanned on all my accounts but I was a super sweet billionaire for a while, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Point View Post
    I play team games pretty much exclusively so I never grief. The only times that I play like an idiot are when we've all decided to, or when the game is completely won anyway, and we can afford to / have planned to dick around.

I used to be a script kiddie in Maplestory though. Nothing was more fun in that game than watching all the monsters in a map get sucked on top of you and die all at once, netting you a crap load of money and items. I've been permabanned on all my accounts but I was a super sweet billionaire for a while, lol.
    Yeah I rarely dick around in Team fortress 2 or co-op based games considering they removed a lot of the greifing elements. However beating the shit out of each other in River City Ransom on NES is fun.

Also speaking of TF2...

TF2 Backpack Examiner - Item Info

The only time I've really done any greifing was while doing some server hopping in BF2. We came across a server and found out everyone was just there stat-padding, so started fucking with them for a bit until we got banned finally *shrugs*. Not really exciting, though it was fun for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Your lack of metal disturbs me!

http://imageftw.com/uploads/20120814/meddle.png

Ok I don't have very much either. But I've only been collecting for 3 months

I have tried griefing and trolling before but I never really have any fun with it. Sometimes it is good for a cheap laugh especially if someone deserves it but after a few minuets I just get bored. I have seen some really funny TF2 trolling though

Falkio

Oh lord yes. Hahahaha!

Noob tears are priceless, especially when you suicide gank a Russian miner with $50 in implants for them. I was a gigantic troll in EVE Online. I used to be part of TEST Alliance Please Ignore, one of the most infamous alliances in the game next to Goonswarm, and everything we did was for the purpose of shits and giggles. We'd spend our Saturday nights...

*Suicide ganking
    *Scamming
    *Trolling help chat
    *Botting for ISK (I never did this, always thought it was gay)

We even hell camped Jita for a week straight, disrupting the entire market structure of the game. Shit was SO cash!

Surprisingly, I'm not like this anywhere else. Its all protected by the EULA, so I embraced the pirate lifestyle. Negative 10, best 10.

Nope, I never have and I never will. I have so precious few hours to play video games online any more. If I get in 4 hours in a week I'm lucky.

As a result I'm perennially a noob getting pwned. People seem to think it is a great achievement being able to beat me repeatedly. Well, I'm glad I give their life more meaning I guess. I just don't see the amusement factor in trying to be the biggest jerk you can be to ruin the online experience for people.

literallegionaire

minecraft is probaly one of the most fun games to grief on in my opinion. i mean their are just soooo many ways to f*ck with people. sure you get banned easily but after placing 20 blocks of TNT in someones house and watch it turn to ash, its all worth it

I used to many years ago, back during the days of the Dreamcast. I found it amusing to block up everyone's screen in Phantasy Star Online using a gameshark cheat to make HUGE text bubbles. Stupid, yes, but I couldn't find much better to do on there than annoy people due to how many times my character data and inventory were getting raped by some of the more malicious griefers.