Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shouldn't they be sentenced to virtual prison.

Default Shouldn't they be sentenced to virtual prison.

Dutch youths convicted of virtual theft - Yahoo! News

I'm of two minds over this.

One nothing real was stolen.

Two the kids that did it are @$$holes.

so GTA is just out of the question then i guess.

but seriously that is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Dutch youths convicted of virtual theft - Yahoo! News

I'm of two minds over this.

One nothing real was stolen.

Two the kids that did it are @$$holes.
    However, the two items have a real-world monetary value, since people are willing to pay for them. Just like when you're buying a painting, you're not paying for the paints and canvas, you're paying for something altogether less tangible. So although the two items don't physically exist, they're still real, and can be stolen.

The Dutch must not have any real crime to be bothered about. They also must have a lot of time on their hands.

I would have sentenced them for being in the act of playing RuneScape

If you're going to play a MMORPG at least partake in a real one otherwise face the consquences of your actions

ugh runescape.. someone buy these kids a WoW account otherwise they are going to kill themselves pretty damn soon.

To be honest, I can see why it was treated as a crime. What worries me is the fact it was actually prosecuted. Either the Netherlands has a well kept secret of almost no crime, or they are being forced to reach ridiculous targets with prosecutions. Martin, tell us which way round it is, so we know whether to move to the Netherlands or stay well away.

EDIT: Also, Runescape. I have one question. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by mzkkbprmt View Post
    To be honest, I can see why it was treated as a crime. What worries me is the fact it was actually prosecuted. Either the Netherlands has a well kept secret of almost no crime, or they are being forced to reach ridiculous targets with prosecutions. Martin, tell us which way round it is, so we know whether to move to the Netherlands or stay well away.

EDIT: Also, Runescape. I have one question. Why?
    If you can see why it was treated as a crime, then why is it strange that it should be prosecuted? If someone steals something that is worth money, even if it doesn't physically exist, then they should be punished. Someone spent time (and money, if they're a subscriber) to earn something which is itself worth money. If that is stolen from them, then how is it any less of a crime than if someone walked into his house and stole a physical object worth the same amount?

I mean that while I can understand the theory, I would consider it a slap of the wrist offence. There are degrees of crime, and it is physically impossible in logistics and economic terms to punish them all. I haven't got an assessment of how much these items would cost in real money, but I doubt it would be much. From my point of view, if these crimes are getting punished, then the Netherlands is a paradise, or there are more serious crimes going unpunished. Unless of course the Netherlands spends absolutely loads on crime and punishment.