Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Magick

  1. #1

    Default Magick

    Hello. I was reading the 'God' thread and was interested in it but it seemed to me to be too late in the game to get involved and I wanted to get into a different topic. Anyway, I am starting/have started this thread in the hopes that it would be a civilized discussion about magick and whether people believe in it or not/any possible experiences with it. I'm not trying to get into the existence of a god or not as that is clearly dealt with in the previously mentioned thread.

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm a practicing Pagan and have done and use "Magick" whenever I require it. It would all depend on what your definition of "Magick" is and from what I've seen not many people here would know what Magick is to understand what your asking.

    The actual word Magick comes from the Agrigappa's De Occultia Philosophia and Aleister Crowley decided to use this term to describe his own definition of Magick. Most today attribute him to modern Paganism's use of the word, though many modern Pagans don't use the word "occult" or associate much with Crowley's beliefs. If I remember right, Crowley said Magick was "a way to influence reality and understand one's self." Crowley's definition did get borrowed and built upon in various ways to describe some modern Pagan practices. Magick is also practiced in a much different way to some forms of Satanism.

    Theistic Pagans view Magick as the culimination of all that is of their spiritual practices. Any prayer or communion with deity can be said to be a "Magick."
    Some Satanists, such as the Cult of Set, have a very similar definition.

    Magick to me entails any of my spiritual practices. To me it's just a synonym for Pagan spiritual practice.

    If you want to get further in depth with Magick, we have to discuss common assumptions and practices to see the underlying beliefs of that Magickal practice. For the Magickal practice itself is built on the ideas and beliefs of the individual practitioner. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject.

  3. #3

    Default

    I was hoping someone like you (honestly i was hoping you in particular) would be one of the first to reply to this. I didn't elaborate on the definition of the word on purpose. I did forget though that prayer could be considered magick by some people. I just use the spelling because 1) many people I know associate the spelling magic with stage illusion and 2) it just looks better to me :-). My personal definition is somewhat around 'the manipulation of the subtle body/energy and/or the manifestation of one's will through rituals'. If you were wondering I am an atheist but I practice witchcraft. Have you read De Occulta Philosophia? I haven't been able to read the entire thing but I read some of it (if you were wondering). On the subject of magick related books, what grimoires have you read, if you don't mind me asking that is. Sorry if this message appears sloppy and/or there a some spelling errors, I've been having problems with sending things right.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by IamGod
    If you were wondering I am an atheist but I practice witchcraft. Have you read De Occulta Philosophia? I haven't been able to read the entire thing but I read some of it (if you were wondering). On the subject of magick related books, what grimoires have you read, if you don't mind me asking that is. Sorry if this message appears sloppy and/or there a some spelling errors, I've been having problems with sending things right.
    Heh, finally. I was looking forward to seeing an Atheist practice Witchcraft coming around these parts, they always turn people's heads

    To me, Grimores and books such as that have historical and traditional value to me, but I follow much more modern interpretations of Magick as proposed by that of the Higginbotham's in their books (Pagan Spirituality). I've only read parts of that book and some of Crowley's writings, but they're more curiosities to me than things I actually incorporate into my belief structure.

    We actually have very similar assumptions then when it comes to magick since largely our practice isn't based on a deities' actions or will. However, as a Panendeist, there is a degree of communion I partake in, but it's philosophy lacks any direct involvement.

    Much of now of what I percieve of Magick is based on some of my personal experiences, and my Panendeist philosophy.

  5. #5

    Default

    I was waiting for another one as well, sadly I haven't found one :-/ I see what you mean, they hold a great interest to me but that's all it is, an interest. Some are relatively easy to read compared to some you really have to trudge through, like The Lesser Key compared to The Grand Grimoire (I would recommend never wasting your time with that one though). I actually haven't read any of Crowley's works but I have a friend (not on here) who is very knowledgeable about them so I have a decent understanding of his ideas. I am rather solitary in my endeavors (by that I mean completely alone, lol). What I perceive as magick is based on my inherent thoughts/beliefs and what I've read and heard. On a philosophy note, have you ever read anything by Nietzsche? I think his ideas are really interesting.

  6. #6

    Default

    I like what you have to say about magic Geno. I use the word in my novel, which is about a haunting. At the core of the story is the Vortex which is in New Jersey. Indian tribes do rituals in an attempt to contain it. My story is this. When I was in college and a student in Princeton, I had a student church in my home town. It always was an hour drive, and being the anal person I am, rehearsal was always an hour. One day I left church and drove the hour drive back to my dorm. I took the back roads which went through Jackson Township, at the time, the middle of no where. This was at night, and I came upon what looked like a purple fog. As I drove through it, there was a very eerie feeling, like there was no life in it.

    When I arrived at the dorm, my roommate asked me why I was back so early. I couldn't understand what he was asking until I looked at my watch. This fog had knocked 20 minutes off my trip. So yes, I believe in magic, when we're not talking about David Copperfield. Magic encompasses all the things which defy the laws of physics, our everyday perceptions. It's rare, but it does happen.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by IamGod View Post
    I was waiting for another one as well, sadly I haven't found one :-/ I see what you mean, they hold a great interest to me but that's all it is, an interest. Some are relatively easy to read compared to some you really have to trudge through, like The Lesser Key compared to The Grand Grimoire (I would recommend never wasting your time with that one though). I actually haven't read any of Crowley's works but I have a friend (not on here) who is very knowledgeable about them so I have a decent understanding of his ideas. I am rather solitary in my endeavors (by that I mean completely alone, lol). What I perceive as magick is based on my inherent thoughts/beliefs and what I've read and heard. On a philosophy note, have you ever read anything by Nietzsche? I think his ideas are really interesting.
    There's actually a group here called "The Viel" though it's not quite active haha (and you'd have to become "green" to join anyway).

    I've only ready Nietzshe's Beyond Good and Evil. A solid work. There's a whole lot to him that would take a lot of re-reading on my part to remember. Aristotle, the Deists, and Norse/Celtic values/philosophy remain steadfastly my biggest influences. Though Nietzshe borrowed much from Aristotle, I can't really agree on some of this perceptions of human character and emotion, as well as aspects of the Divine.




    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy
    I like what you have to say about magic Geno. I use the word in my novel, which is about a haunting. At the core of the story is the Vortex which is in New Jersey. Indian tribes do rituals in an attempt to contain it. My story is this. When I was in college and a student in Princeton, I had a student church in my home town. It always was an hour drive, and being the anal person I am, rehearsal was always an hour. One day I left church and drove the hour drive back to my dorm. I took the back roads which went through Jackson Township, at the time, the middle of no where. This was at night, and I came upon what looked like a purple fog. As I drove through it, there was a very eerie feeling, like there was no life in it.
    I'm going to have to read that one of these days, as this is the second time you've metioned it to me

  8. #8

    Default

    I don't belive in anything supernatural, god or magic.. What I do believe it's on technology, I mean today we have things that would be consider magic in the past..

    If you had said to someone in the old Egypt, that at 2012, you would be able to talk with any person, in any place of the whole word, LIVE... They would think that was magic..

  9. #9

    Default

    Well thanks anyway Geno. I'll just wait to become green and join it, maybe get it going again. I read a collection of his works and interpretations of them. They were really interesting, rather depressing as well. I don't think a lot of people agree with everything he says anyway. I take more inspiration, ritual wise, from neopaganism, gnostic thelemia, and personal interpretation. I don't know a whole lot about Norse/Celtic beliefs.

    What you have to say about magic, dogboy that is, is interesting. It reminds me of something I was watching n the history channel about The Bermuda Triangle, where this guy (I forget his name) traveled over it and into this 'electric fog' which greatly interfered with his machines and he lost time as well. The losing of time is also very commen in so called alien abductions. Not that aliens don't exist, but I don't think they would travel such a distance to pick up a redneck.

    Drwho, nice name by the way, I don't think the Egyptians would be very surprised. Contrary to popular belief they had pretty advanced technology. Not to say they could've communicated like that but I don't think they would be too surprised. Thoug I guess it depended on the Egyptian you were talking to...

  10. #10

    Default

    When I was in high school I was what I like to call a "book store witch". That is the teenager who watches The Craft, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or any movie and show involving a practicing wiccan (however exaggerated) and then immediately bolts to the nearest Barnes N Noble to purchase any book in the occult section with a chapter entitled "Spells".

    I collected a lot of books in that short amount of time. And a trip with my mom to Salem put me in posession of alot of my supplies. But unlike a lot of book store witches, I came to take the practice of Wicca and Magick very seriously. Namely after a few times when I irresponsibly tried to cast negative energy on someone and actually had it come back on me.

    For example: In my junior year of high school, there was this guy who was a complete asshole towards me. The teachers always managed to look the other way. I wrote his name down on a piece of paper, stuck it in a bag of ice and placed it in the freezer, empowering the ice as a kind of "prison" to trap him in his own negativity. Every single class I had in the following semester had him in it and I had to put up with even more of his crap. It continued on into the first semester of my senior year until I took the bag out of the freezer and melted the ice.

    So that was definitive proof to me that what you send out will come back at you three fold.

    Ten years later, I live near Salem, Mass. And one of the shop owners in a store called Hex, states that sending negative energy is fine as long as you are actually creating the balance and not trying to overwhelm it. In my case, I attempted to flood my enemy with negative energy. However if someone abuses their power, like, say a manager in your workplace who is tripping on his position and authority, it would not be an abuse of magick to ask the universe to take him down just a peg.

    In the end, whatever your belief is, there are always two rules to follow.

    1: Harm unto None.
    2: What you send out will return.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.