Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expired diapers?

Default Expired diapers?

I had some old Molicare super plus diapers in a closet.
    I kind of forgot about after I started using teddies nearly
    all the time.

So my question is can a diaper really expire?
    These were a bit dried out feeling and not that soft as normal.
    They were still wearable with out any discomfort.
    They just really came all loose and really torn up and bunched up in the padding part just after a few hours. More than one were tried.

Anyone else have this problem with any diaper brand or hear of it?

I think the stuff in them can get old so they won't work as well. So therefore they may not adsorb as well like they are supposed to. Plus the tape may crack or be stiff if it's way old and may not stick to the diaper when you try and tape it.

It depends on what conditions they were stored in. Generally the thing I've noticed is the tapes not sticking to the PVC properly.

Quote Originally Posted by StargazerBleu View Post
    They just really came all loose and really torn up and bunched up in the padding part just after a few hours. More than one were tried.
    Yeah, I've noticed this with old diapers too. I think, eventually, the diapers absorb moisture from the air, causing the fluff to hold its shape and become a bit brittle. I would imagine this is less of an issue for people in really dry areas, or else for diapers that are in well-sealed bags. But yeah, diapers basically get stale--just like crackers.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the plastics age too.

pamperchu

Diapers will last about 40 years. I am a vintage diaper collector and I have used diapers as old as 30 years and they work fine. after about 40 years tho the glues and tapes start to decay and fall apart.

SkarTiger

I used some vintage 90's pampers that I found in my wardrobe one day. They seemed to work fine and absorb a lot. The really cute bear prints hadn't faded which was real nice. They had been there for about 10 years so I was quite lucky to find them there. I think that over time, they will start to de-fuse in absorbing though.
    Skar
    Last edited by Trevor; 09-Aug-2012 at 23:05. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

geez, you's young kids thinking stuff from the 90s is vintage ;-)

To address the op though, I think as well as the tapes degrading, the filler will too, so it won't be as absorbent. Especially if it's SAP. If the diapers have been stored in a humid climate and not in a sealed packet they'll have absorbed moisture out of the atmosphere before you even put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    geez, you's young kids thinking stuff from the 90s is vintage ;-)
    They are. It's what a lot of us grew up in, and 90's diapers were easily the best disposable diapers from the ab/dl perspective. I think its why bambino's sell so well in a really small niche market.

Had some problems with tapes on old diapers. I just used duck tape instead, and in fact found this sealed things more firmly to give confidence when moving around, because you can apply it wherever you like.

Old cloth nappies from childhood seemed to last forever. Made great polishing cloths for cleaning car, furniture etc. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    They are. It's what a lot of us grew up in, and 90's diapers were easily the best disposable diapers from the ab/dl perspective. I think its why bambino's sell so well in a really small niche market.
    I grew up in the late 60s/early 70s. By the 90s even my daughter was out of diapers. :-D