Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Identifying yourself with a gender identity

Default Identifying yourself with a gender identity

The People usually, most people at least, see gender identity as a “black or white” question, I mean, or you identify yourself as a man, or you yourself identify as woman.. But what happen when a person don’t know very well witch gender they identify themselves? Or when they identify themselves with multiple things from different genders, let’s suppose for example that you are a boy and that:

You like playing soccer (A behavior view by society usually like a man behavior)
    You like to dress as a girl (A behavior view by society usually like a woman behavior)
    You have sexual attraction only by women (A behavior view by society usually like a man behavior)

And even going beyond, what makes a person “man”? Or what makes a person a “woman”? I mean, I don’t think that it’s just biological/genetics question. For example: "What makes a woman a woman it’s the fact of shave periods or she are able to give birth to a child? Or it’s their oriental sexual?"

But, well, many women born without, or loses, their uterus, and many women are lesbian, but however, in other respects, exhibit behaviors typical of a woman so they are not a woman more

So anyway, I would like to talk about that… So feel free to comment what you think about this, or about the life in general LOL

Well, gender, sex, and sexual orientation are all different things. Sometimes I'm not so great at explaining things in a clear way, but I'll try and maybe someone more articulate can do a better job later.

Sex is a biological matter. Having a uterus and periods are characteristics of being female, not being a woman. (words used to describe sex are male, female, intersex)
    Gender is a socially constructed role... this includes shaving and other behaviors that are typical of women. (words used to describe gender are woman, man, genderqueer, transgender, non-binary, etc.)
    Sexual orientation doesn't make your gender different. You can be attracted to whoever you want and it doesn't make you not a woman or not a man or not genderqueer.

Here's an example: My wife is a female because she has a uterus and was born with a female body. But she's not a woman because she identifies as genderqueer. She doesn't shave, wears men's clothing, and considers herself to be my Daddy. She works a job that is traditionally held by men. She is attracted to women.

As far as gender identity being black or white? Just like sexual orientation isn't black and white, neither is gender. I know many people who identify as something other than a man or a woman. It's a spectrum! As for your example... if a person likes to dress like a girl, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their gender. Some men dress like women because it turns them on. Others might actually want to be a woman, in which case that would have to do with their gender.
    Last edited by princessnarnar; 07-Aug-2012 at 05:50. Reason: grammar

Oh thank you very much, for you explanation!

Gender is a fluid concept but for reasons of ease in time most people have throw everything in two contrasting positions and sexuality is a whole different area all of which would be fine other the tendency to police these artificial positions in many cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by princessnarnar View Post
    Well, gender, sex, and sexual orientation are all different things. Sometimes I'm not so great at explaining things in a clear way, but I'll try and maybe someone more articulate can do a better job later.
    You explained beautifully there.

Slightly off topic but on a related note:
    Quidditch rules state that a player is to be considered by their identified gender as opposed to biological sex (eg. a boy indentifing as a girl is considered a female player).
    Last edited by AliceSerpent; 07-Aug-2012 at 09:41. Reason: deleted double quote

Quote Originally Posted by princessnarnar View Post

Sex is a biological matter. Having a uterus and periods are characteristics of being female, not being a woman. (words used to describe sex are male, female, intersex)
    Gender is a socially constructed role... this includes shaving and other behaviors that are typical of women. (words used to describe gender are woman, man, genderqueer, transgender, non-binary, etc.)
    Sexual orientation doesn't make your gender different. You can be attracted to whoever you want and it doesn't make you not a woman or not a man or not genderqueer.

Here's an example: My wife is a female because she has a uterus and was born with a female body. But she's not a woman because she identifies as genderqueer. She doesn't shave, wears men's clothing, and considers herself to be my Daddy. She works a job that is traditionally held by men. She is attracted to women.

As far as gender identity being black or white? Just like sexual orientation isn't black and white, neither is gender. I know many people who identify as something other than a man or a woman. It's a spectrum! As for your example... if a person likes to dress like a girl, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their gender. Some men dress like women because it turns them on. Others might actually want to be a woman, in which case that would have to do with their gender.
    You haven't by any chance read my blog on the issue have you? Many of the things you've said and much more are in there take a read, I'd go over the major points but I'm in my mobile at work, I don't claim it to be definitive but I think it's pretty good

http://www.adisc.org/forum/blogs/dyl...sexuality.html

Quote Originally Posted by DylanK View Post
    You haven't by any chance read my blog on the issue have you? Many of the things you've said and much more are in there take a read, I'd go over the major points but I'm in my mobile at work, I don't claim it to be definitive but I think it's pretty good

http://www.adisc.org/forum/blogs/dyl...sexuality.html
    Nope, I hadn't seen that before... you really covered a lot there!

Yeah I worked pretty hard on it, as the coments note its still incomplete but it's still well worth the attention of people reading this thread :-)
    Last edited by DylanK; 07-Aug-2012 at 17:53.

I identify as gender fluid, how I feel varies day to day but generally more female than male.
    When I do class presentations the simple explanation is sex is between the legs and gender is between the ears.
    I was in a boring board meeting probably 14 years ago and thinking about gender and particularly the difference between CD and TS with in the transgender community and realized I was being too rigid in my thinking with a linear representation. That was when I adopted the three dimensional model you see to the left, a tree with almost infinite branchings. That was when I started Gender Tree
    The diversity with in our diversity is truly, well diverse!

When I do class presentations the simple explanation is sex is between the legs and gender is between the ears.
    Love your definition..