View Poll Results: How do you feel about tattoos in this context?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer them!

5 9.43%
  • I have no problem with them whatsoever.

8 15.09%
  • I am generally okay with them.

14 26.42%
  • I can tolerate them if they're not too noticeable.

3 5.66%
  • I don't like them, but it isn't really a deal-breaker.

14 26.42%
  • I can't stand them! Deal-breaker.

3 5.66%
  • Indifferent/Other

6 11.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos on significant others

Question Tattoos on significant others

So, ADISC, I have a question for you, and I'll do my best to ask it well... When you're in the market for a spouse, how do you feel if s/he has a tattoo or multiple tattoos?
    As for me, I have one myself, and don't have a problem with them in girls, as long as they are relatively tasteful and not dominating.

Other.

What's the tattoo of, and where's it located? How much of the body is covered?

I can tolerate a small tat just about anywhere, unless it's of a hate symbol or is the name/picture of a former significant other... In other words, a hate symbol.

I suppose I also have a fairly harsh opinion of tattoos on the extremities (hands, face, etc.), or anything else that isn't easily covered. I don't feel the need to conform to society's expectations at all times, however I value the ability to relinquish the center of attention when appropriate, and so placing tats where they're almost impossible to cover just screams (to me), "I brake for nobody." Not a particularly compelling social statement, IMO.

My wife has no tats, though.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    My wife has no tats, though.
    Wha...?! Ohhh... tats...

But yeah, I'm with you on this, Cottontail... I'm not a fan of tattoos, but it wouldn't necessarily bother me. Having "GOD" tattooed across your forehead, or having a portrait of a politician would make me want to steer clear, though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2137364-12D8392B000005DC-499_634x731.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	13615 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boris-Tattoo.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	13616

More info here on that wonderful pair of ti... tats here:

(Apologies for linking to the gutter press, but hey, the broadsheets aren't gonna have the stories!)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Wha...?! Ohhh... tats...
    Well... yeah. Totally tatless, and definitely double-beasted. (That's what we call our two kids--the "beasts".) How could any of that be confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny
    Having "GOD" tattooed across your forehead...
    When I think of the canonical bad face-tattoo, I usually think of this guy, but... wow.

Astra

A deal-breaker for me. Not only do I think they're ugly, especially on women, but people who get tattoos often have other things that make them non-relationship material.

I wouldn't mind tattoos on a significant other as long as they're not: gang related / race superiority related / graphic; sexual or violent. As long as they're not like those I listed or related to those listed I'd be accepting of tasteful moderate tattoos.

I don't have any myself, but coincidentally, all of my girlfriends either have or eventually got, at least one tattoo. My current gf has 4 - two on one foot, one on the other, and a small one above her hip. They are incredibly personal to her and therefore I find them endearing. I don't know that I'll ever value something enough to permanently place it on my body, so I guess I'm a little bit envious of people who do. I probably wouldn't date someone whose body is covered in them, simple bc that's not ascetically pleasing, but I see no real problem in have one, or even several.

While I have no problem with tattoos...that is not the same as saying I want my significant other to be a walking billboard for the local tattoo shop!

Of course, in Islam, tattoos are technically haram. (Yes, it can be argued that tattoos could be considered makruh. I know this, you don't have to argue that point with me!)
    Therefore, any prospective mate of mine is unlikely to be tattooed.

Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    I wouldn't mind tattoos on a significant other as long as they're not: gang related / race superiority related / graphic; sexual or violent. As long as they're not like those I listed or related to those listed I'd be accepting of tasteful moderate tattoos.
    Agreed!

I hate tattoos. I can't stand them no matter what they are, or where they are.