Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe what someone said in a medical supply store???

Default I can't believe what someone said in a medical supply store???

So I'm in a medical supply store to buy a pack of First Quality diapers. I like these cause they're comfy, cheap, and kind of babylike. I go to the med supply store because it's convenient, they have better quality diapers and there's less chances of wierd looks or stupid questions.

That is until yesterday. I walk in, grab a pack of diapers off the shelf, and head up to the cashier to pay for them. There's a old geezer talking to the cashier, (about 83) if I had to guess, who steps aside to let me pay. As I'm getting rung up, this guy asks me- "Excuse me. But what are those cloths for? I, somewhat shocked, go the pro route and say "They're for dealing with incontinence" and then the cashier humorously says to him " Those are Diapers"
    The old guy then says" Been awhile since I wore those, 40 years ago, I remember them well" I'm assuming the old age joke (Like being 39 again!)

I just thought that this could not happen! at least not in a medical supplies store. I was very cool about it though as I've been buying diapers for years and have well gotten over the embarrassment factor.
    Anyways. I thought I'd share this as I thought it was out of the ordinary.

Weird situation. I wonder if he was incontinent at some point and then he got over it.

Good job keeping your cool. Also, I like that you were honest. It would be a real trip to have told them the whole truth. "I am buying diapers. I wear them because I like them. " imagine what they would have said.

Lame. I'd be loath to return to that particular store!

About half a year ago, I was buying a bag of Pampers for myself at the grocery store and the older female cashier asked me how old my kid was. I later wished I'd had the presence of mind to say, "36!" Heheheh...

Very well played. I'm not sure I could have kept my cool.

I remember back in the '80s and '90s, when reasonably good quality cloth diapers were available in most department stores. On at least more than one occasion, I would be confronted by the clerk with questions like: "Looking forward to your new one?" and was even asked: "New one on the way, or do you just need more diapers?". Either times have changed considerably, or I must be getting older. I never ran into those problems when buying disposables, only cloth. Maybe part of that issue is that Pampers (or Luvs, or Huggies) were more commonly used by adults to deal with incontinence, so it wasn't questioned so much. But now, with the availability of adult incontinence products, it gets far more obvious who the product is intended for, so I'm betting that much of this has given rise to internet stores (XPMedical) and mail order.

You never know what old people will say. I'm close to being there in age but I don't think I would say anything like that. You handled that situation well.

People also tend to sometimes just want attention/entertainment for the sake of quelling boredom. So, sometimes they respond or comment on things in their field of vision. You handled it well.

Thaguy123

I never buy from stores. Things like this are happening a lot in the Netherlands

Also I am sure I didn't keep myself 'cool' good job!

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld08 View Post
    Good job keeping your cool. Also, I like that you were honest. It would be a real trip to have told them the whole truth. "I am buying diapers. I wear them because I like them. " imagine what they would have said.
    This is what I would of said, if they wanted to make fun of it and the needs for someone who they would only assume needs them. then might as well trip them up.

Of course to the 80+ year old man it could of been really simple to say "I hope you enjoy them as much as I do when your on your death bed next year." though two wrongs don't make a right, especially when one was a joke and another is about imminent mortality.

Though, I'm not beyond doing that for a person with terminal cancer who's being a total ass. There's pretty much exceptions to every rule, isn't there?