Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Computer Build (need help)

Default First Computer Build (need help)

So... I've recently gotten the chance to build my own computer. I'm totally new at everything that this involves, other than actually physically assembling it. I've been looking at a couple how-to guides, and i've picked out most of the hardware; could somebody help me out and tell me if what i have is okay, or what i should be doing instead?

mb, cpu, ram, video card, ssd, hdd, and the case.

does anybody have any idea as to what kind of power supply I should be using? and other than that, would the above combination work well? and if not, what could I do to make it better?

thank you in advance.

p.s. if this isn't the best place for such topics, can somebody point me to a more computer-oriented forum? tyvm all
    Last edited by ZakRoo; 05-Aug-2012 at 04:43.

Well, first, I'd recommend getting this HDD instead, as it actually takes full potential of the 6Gb/s data transfer rate. Second, the case is linked with the SSD link, so I can't see.

So far as what I've seen, everything is compatible. (Well, as I haven't seen the case...)

Well, as a combo, I'd say, well, you could get the PSU/Case as a package, (or have a look at this and this), or get them separate. I'd say about 650W is sufficient for the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by EarendurAldarion View Post
    Well, first, I'd recommend getting this HDD instead, as it actually takes full potential of the 6Gb/s data transfer rate. Second, the case is linked with the SSD link, so I can't see.

So far as what I've seen, everything is compatible. (Well, as I haven't seen the case...)

Well, as a combo, I'd say, well, you could get the PSU/Case as a package, (or have a look at this and this), or get them separate. I'd say about 650W is sufficient for the computer.
    whoops... ^^; case link

i figure that the power supply is pretty crucial to the computer not catching fire, so i didn't want to get something that would fry anything important.
    and i didn't think to match the transfer rate between the hdd and mb, so thanks for the link! I was going purely off of number of reviews and not the specs... my mistake

I want to get something that will last me for the forseeable future, that i can upgrade if i need to.
    and are there any other cords/connectors that i would need for this setup? (i believe that the case includes some, but i reiterate that i'm totally new at this stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    I want to get something that will last me for the forseeable future, that i can upgrade if i need to.
    Nitpicking: There's not much of an upgrade path for AMD right now. Socket AM3+ only has one more set of processors coming out in Q3 and Q4 of this year, everything after that is going to be something else. If you want to wait around for a while, FM2 motherboards are eventually going to hit the market.

Intel is going to have LGA 1155 processors coming out, at the very least, through 2013 with Haswell, and they just released Ivy Bridge.

I disagree with your processor choice, but I'm not going to tell you to change it. No point in starting an AMD vs. Intel war here.

Quote Originally Posted by justhere View Post
    Nitpicking: There's not much of an upgrade path for AMD right now. Socket AM3+ only has one more set of processors coming out in Q3 and Q4 of this year, everything after that is going to be something else. If you want to wait around for a while, FM2 motherboards are eventually going to hit the market.

Intel is going to have LGA 1155 processors coming out, at the very least, through 2013 with Haswell, and they just released Ivy Bridge.

I disagree with your processor choice, but I'm not going to tell you to change it. No point in starting an AMD vs. Intel war here.
    the point of this thread is so that i can get recommendations from people. I chose an amd processor because i was told that intel was generally more expensive, and i'm not looking for the absolute bleeding edge of technology.
    I welcome recommendation, though!

Well, it's difficult to say whether or not Intel is more expensive. If you're looking at it from a strictly core/Ghz count, yes, Intel appears to lag behind. That said, you can spend a lot of time comparing benchmarks and reviews.

For example, with the FX Bulldozer line, there's issues with the processor's architecture and how Windows addresses it. With Intel's current processors, which have fewer cores but two threads per core, Windows will fill up the individual cores, then go back and make use of the threads (which share cache with the core). Windows does not recognize that AMD's cores share cache, and lines up commands as if each core was sporting independent cache. This leads to the processor having to refetch data from outside of the cache, which takes a LOT longer, and leads to lost clock cycles.

Supposedly, Windows 8 will fix that, but W8 is going to be released at the end of the AM3+'s lifespan, and will see limited benefits from Windows 8 because of that.

The other issue is that a lot of software is more dependent on having strong cores than having more cores. From what I know, writing code for multiple cores is much more difficult and lengthy than writing for a single or dual core processor. This skews things in Intel's favor, because not many companies are interested in coding for more cores. That said, when a program is coded for all eight of the cores you're looking at, it's going to run fucking great. It's also supposed to be more friendly with switching between applications or running a multiple-screen set-up.

Here's a pretty long review from last year concerning the performance of the FX-8150.

Also, shop around. Newegg's great, but there are other websites out there.

Quote Originally Posted by justhere View Post
    Well, it's difficult to say whether or not Intel is more expensive. If you're looking at it from a strictly core/Ghz count, yes, Intel appears to lag behind. That said, you can spend a lot of time comparing benchmarks and reviews.

For example, with the FX Bulldozer line, there's issues with the processor's architecture and how Windows addresses it. With Intel's current processors, which have fewer cores but two threads per core, Windows will fill up the individual cores, then go back and make use of the threads (which share cache with the core). Windows does not recognize that AMD's cores share cache, and lines up commands as if each core was sporting independent cache. This leads to the processor having to refetch data from outside of the cache, which takes a LOT longer, and leads to lost clock cycles.

Supposedly, Windows 8 will fix that, but W8 is going to be released at the end of the AM3+'s lifespan, and will see limited benefits from Windows 8 because of that.

The other issue is that a lot of software is more dependent on having strong cores than having more cores. From what I know, writing code for multiple cores is much more difficult and lengthy than writing for a single or dual core processor. This skews things in Intel's favor, because not many companies are interested in coding for more cores. That said, when a program is coded for all eight of the cores you're looking at, it's going to run fucking great. It's also supposed to be more friendly with switching between applications or running a multiple-screen set-up.

Here's a pretty long review from last year concerning the performance of the FX-8150.

Also, shop around. Newegg's great, but there are other websites out there.
    the way i figure it, a less expensive processor would suit me just fine, because i'm probably not going to be able to notice the difference. when the time comes that i need to upgrade to a better computer, i'll definitely have more of the know-how necessary for decisions concerning things like that

Then, by all means, go for what fits you. I have an N450 netbook and my next one is going to be running on an E-350.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    whoops... ^^; case link

i figure that the power supply is pretty crucial to the computer not catching fire, so i didn't want to get something that would fry anything important.
    and i didn't think to match the transfer rate between the hdd and mb, so thanks for the link! I was going purely off of number of reviews and not the specs... my mistake

and are there any other cords/connectors that i would need for this setup? (i believe that the case includes some, but i reiterate that i'm totally new at this stuff)

So the case is compatible as well. I did have a look at the power requirements for your setup, and chose the PSU that matched what it needed, with a little extra for upgrades, etc.

Link To Build

So subtotal for the entire build would be ~$875 US before tax and shipping, but you don't have any monitor, keyboard, or mouse there , so...

It doesn't seem to be too budget-tight, really

next draft of the list
    added several things including wireless card + accessories.

I was wondering, though, would I need a heatsink for the cpu and what kind would be best? *facepalm* forgot to read the part about "fan and heatsink included" with the cpu.

also, if anybody spots something wrong with anything on the list, please say something!