Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing internet speeds

Default Increasing internet speeds

So one of my friend told me that I might try using a different Modem other then the one the ISP provides me, if they will allow it.

I call my ISP internet help desk and they said yes but we provide no support for them.

Went out and bought a Netgear N150 and copied the login info and what not from the other one.

To my surprise my speed increased greatly, and I was wondering why? Whats so different about the on the ISP provides and the one I bought.
    OLD SPEED
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1967546361.png

NEW SPEED
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2102024810.png

Some providers have a system where they throttle you if you're a light user by analyzing your usage and it *might* be that was in your router although it's also fair to say some older routers were well, slow. Having changed to fibre to the neighbourhood box, my router is very new!

Most ISP provided modems / routers are shit.

Probably what makes the most difference is the capability of pulling data off the line. No connection is perfect, there is always some "noise" on the line.. and the hardware has to differentiate what is valid data and what is noise. The ratio of noise to signal is called.. the signal to noise ratio (or SNR)..

For the same connection, a decent modem will usually get a better SNR, which means better connection performance. The reason for _that_ is two fold:
    - more noise and less signal means more errors which means data has to be re-sent which slows things down
    - if there is too much noise, the modem/ISP will actually ratchet down the speed automatically to try and get more signal

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/malippert/Untitled-8.png

My spliter/filter stopped working not to long ago, and when plug directly into the wall ive notice more noise but at the same time a noticely higher dB level .

The funny thing is my ISP says my dB's coming off the line should run at 27dB's.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    So one of my friend told me that I might try using a different Modem other then the one the ISP provides me, if they will allow it.

I call my ISP internet help desk and they said yes but we provide no support for them.

Went out and bought a Netgear N150 and copied the login info and what not from the other one.

To my surprise my speed increased greatly, and I was wondering why? Whats so different about the on the ISP provides and the one I bought.
    OLD SPEED
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1967546361.png

NEW SPEED
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2102024810.png
    The 2 pictures you posted show a different isp and server. That could have a lot to do with it. Downloading from one server may be completely different then downloading from another.

pepsicolaisgreat

My DSL is Slow. It takes around an hour to watch a fifteen minute YouTube video.

Hopefully next summer I can upgrade to fiber optic internet.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsicolaisgreat View Post
    My DSL is Slow. It takes around an hour to watch a fifteen minute YouTube video.

Hopefully next summer I can upgrade to fiber optic internet.
    Might be line noise. As said in an above post.. noise will slow down a connection .. if there is a lot of it.. it can make it feel like dialup.

If your modem supports it, check the "SNR" and line attenuation.
    You want an SNR margin of at least 11dB for a good connection. Anything under 6 will usually barely connect. Between there is where you find the "works but painfully slow".
    You want an attenuation of under 50dB. The lower the better. 60dB is about where your connection fails.. and again.. between there is where you get into the "shitty connection" territory.

Problems with either can either be your fault or your ISP's fault. If it's the ISPs fault, not much you can do besides complain or switch. If it's your fault, you can do a few things:
    - Install a whole house splitter / filter, or have your ISP do it for you (or someone else). Basically what this does is seperates out your DSL line from the rest of your phone system. Every wire and device on your phone line will add noise and atten. Splitting of a "clean" line for DSL where your line comes into the house and filtering the side that your phones and such connect to (and noise comes from) will make a huge difference.
    - Try to avoid having power lines running anywhere near your phone lines. Not always practical/easy to fix.. but if you do the splitter thing, you just have to worry about your one DSL line (as all the others can be as noisy as they want.. as they get filtered).

Of course.. switching to fiber will completely solve the problem too.. by virtue of being a completely different system ;p

EDIT: Or you could just be on a really overloaded DSLAM / ISP sucks.. but if the hour to watch 15 minute youtube wasn't hyperbole.. even the worst ISPs will give you better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SkirtedBaby View Post
    The 2 pictures you posted show a different isp and server. That could have a lot to do with it. Downloading from one server may be completely different then downloading from another.
    Fairpoint in my area is spilt with MNA but ran under the name Fairpoint. My modem still connects to the same server in the east coast

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Might be line noise. As said in an above post.. noise will slow down a connection .. if there is a lot of it.. it can make it feel like dialup.

If your modem supports it, check the "SNR" and line attenuation.
    You want an SNR margin of at least 11dB for a good connection. Anything under 6 will usually barely connect. Between there is where you find the "works but painfully slow".
    You want an attenuation of under 50dB. The lower the better. 60dB is about where your connection fails.. and again.. between there is where you get into the "shitty connection" territory.

Problems with either can either be your fault or your ISP's fault. If it's the ISPs fault, not much you can do besides complain or switch. If it's your fault, you can do a few things:
    - Install a whole house splitter / filter, or have your ISP do it for you (or someone else). Basically what this does is seperates out your DSL line from the rest of your phone system. Every wire and device on your phone line will add noise and atten. Splitting of a "clean" line for DSL where your line comes into the house and filtering the side that your phones and such connect to (and noise comes from) will make a huge difference.
    - Try to avoid having power lines running anywhere near your phone lines. Not always practical/easy to fix.. but if you do the splitter thing, you just have to worry about your one DSL line (as all the others can be as noisy as they want.. as they get filtered).

Of course.. switching to fiber will completely solve the problem too.. by virtue of being a completely different system ;p

EDIT: Or you could just be on a really overloaded DSLAM / ISP sucks.. but if the hour to watch 15 minute youtube wasn't hyperbole.. even the worst ISPs will give you better than that.

There a 2 phone account in my house and the one with DSL only leads to one phone jack. The ISP is coming out tomorrow to look at the lines
    Last edited by baby_mike; 07-Aug-2012 at 07:18.

pepsicolaisgreat

Here's my speed test.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2112391344.png

Can't wait to get fios installed.

Web pages load okay on it. It's just when I want to stream a video or download a file. It get's painful.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsicolaisgreat View Post
    Here's my speed test.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2112391344.png

Can't wait to get fios installed.

Web pages load okay on it. It's just when I want to stream a video or download a file. It get's painful.
    I feel so bad for you