Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smartphone yeah right. It doesn't understand me

pepsicolaisgreat

Default smartphone yeah right. It doesn't understand me

I did the following on my smartphone. Apparently the phone isn't as smart as I thought it would be. When I use speech to text. It's gets half of the words wrong. lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Smartphone doesn't know what I am saying on the voice to text. Watch. Lol

( How are you today smart phone?

Well I am just fine how are about you?

I'm going to have you write something down with your secret the speak cherokee nation and I want you to get them right for me can you do that for me smart phone

(The above was supposed to say. I'm going to have you write something down with your speech to text okay and I want you to get them right for me. Can you do that for me smartphone?)

Apparently not um I guess that will be it have a great day smart phone and go back to school before you claim that you're smart.

I did the following on my smartphone apparently the phone isn't as smart as I thought it would be when I use speech to text it gets half of the words wrong

smart phone doesn't know what I am saying on the voice to text watch lol

how are you today smartphone?

well I am fine just how are about you

I'm going to have you write something down with your secret the speak cherokee nation and I want you to get them right for me can you do that for me smartphone

the above was supposed to say I'm going to have you write something down with your speech to text okay and I want you to get them right for me can you do that for me smartphone

apparently not um I guess that will be it have a great day smartphone and go back to school before you claim that you're smart

I dictated this entire post with my htc wildfire s.

you need speech lessons.

pamperchu

and thats why I still use a brick phone, they are well built and work better.
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/pamperchu/DSC00612.jpg

pepsicolaisgreat

Its definitely the phone as I have no speech problems. Lol

I haven't seen one of those brick phones in quite some time. Thanks for that pic.

I remember my dads first cellphone. It.was the bagphone. He's still got it somewhere.

It's amazing how far cell phones have come.

Sent from my M865C using Tapatalk 2

ROHS legislation, a European standard, has banned the use of lead in electronics. This is the same damn thing that's responsible for both the Xbox 360's RROD problems as well as the loss of durability in cell phones. That said:

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/DSC05390-580x386.jpg

That's a brick, released three months ago, that runs Android.

EDIT: The phone shown above is a rebranded FortisX, which can be had on Amazon for $340.

LittleDrummerGirl

Smartphones are very smart! Unfortunately, voice recognition isn't very accurate most of the time. Think of it from the computational standpoint - it has to recognize vowels and consonants in human speech. Which is very hard to do for a thing that only uses simple logic.

I remember going to the Computer Shopper Show in London in about 1990 and they had a stall showcasing the latest advancement in home computing: voice recognition! As I walked past, I saw them drawing in a crowd about to start a new demo. The fanfare stopped, and one of the demonstrators proudly and confidently spoke into the microphone: "Load program". Silence. Blank screens. Nothing. "Load program".... *ahem* "Load program... load program... LOWAD PRO GRAMMM ... LOOOD PRUGRAM... LAAD PRAAGRAAM.."

Two hours later I walked back past the stall and the guy was manically chanting the same command in a trance-like state, just waiting for the computer to recognise him!

I'd say your phone did pretty well... Not that "pretty well" is particularly useful if you've got to manually correct everything anyway, but look how far we've come in 22 years... Oh my god, I'm old!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDrummerGirl View Post
    Think of it from the computational standpoint - it has to recognize vowels and consonants in human speech. Which is very hard to do for a thing that only uses simple logic.
    Not to mention varying intonation, background noise, dialects, heterographs (was that to, too or two; practice or practise?) and your funny-sounding American accents! (just kidding)

pepsicolaisgreat

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I remember going to the Computer Shopper Show in London in about 1990 and they had a stall showcasing the latest advancement in home computing: voice recognition! As I walked past, I saw them drawing in a crowd about to start a new demo. The fanfare stopped, and one of the demonstrators proudly and confidently spoke into the microphone: "Load program". Silence. Blank screens. Nothing. "Load program".... *ahem* "Load program... load program... LOWAD PRO GRAMMM ... LOOOD PRUGRAM... LAAD PRAAGRAAM.."

Two hours later I walked back past the stall and the guy was manically chanting the same command in a trance-like state, just waiting for the computer to recognise him!

I'd say your phone did pretty well... Not that "pretty well" is particularly useful if you've got to manually correct everything anyway, but look how far we've come in 22 years... Oh my god, I'm old!

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention varying intonation, background noise, dialects, heterographs (was that to, too or two; practice or practise?) and your funny-sounding American accents! (just kidding)
    Xd That's funny him trying to get the computer to recognize his voice.

Sent from my M865C using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    heterographs (was that to, too or two; practice or practise?) and your funny-sounding American accents! (just kidding)

Well, if you read what I spoke, my phone correctly used the following heterographs: to (two, too not used), right/write, know/no, your/you're, want (wont unused). There's obviously some ability to use context. I found that impressive, I might actually start using this feature.

God I love my cheapy phone. It's so basic it has a black and white screen and the battery lasts about two weeks.