Thread: Going to see urologist

Default Going to see urologist

I think I may have BPH.
    As long as I can remember I never had a good stream/flow & I started over the winter now & again having pain that feels like it was deep in my bladder after emptying out. It was not constant & would go away for a spell in between episodes. This would also correspond with excessive dribbling after going. Back in April I went in to have a colon resection for diverticulitis that was getting worst. I had complications with the surgery & they had to perform an emergency operation cutting me from just above the pelvic bone right up to my breast plate. I wound up bleeding to death literally. CPR & transfusion enough for 2 people & they got me back. I now have no spleen but that's another issue. A few weeks into my recovery the pain came back but now was severe. Surgeon put me on a small dose of flow max thinking it was the muscle that he had to cut for the surgery & for the first month it worked fine. second month not so good now. the pain no where near as bad but I feel it starting to come back & my flow starting to weaken & the dribbling has returned. My MD I had for years now had mentioned I had an enlarged prostate but just though it was my norm. I have a PSA test done every 6 months or so just to keep an eye on it. I had broken my tail bone back in high school twice. Second time for a split second I lost all feeling down both legs so I am wondering if I have nerve damage from that.
    Hopefully the urologist will be able to shed some light on it & figure out WTH is going on.
    Has anyone else had pains like this & have you had it looked at & treated?

Good luck with the urologist and with continuing to recover from your surgical ordeal. My urge incontinence developed as a consequence of a surgical misadventure when I was 14 years old. I bled excessively after the surgery, required numerous blood transfusions to keep me from bleeding to death, and developed a severe infection. That sequence of events apparently somehow damaged my bladder, or the nerves that control it; and I've had very poor bladder control ever since. However, diapers have made it possible to live an almost normal life, and I've learned to enjoy them. I'd rather enjoy my incontinence than suffer from it!

Grizz, diverticulitis and broken tailbone - OWWW! You are having your fair share of pain for sure! Let me see if I can help a little with what you are asking tho. I have constant recurring BPH and they aren't really sure why but keep going thru tests and tons of meds. It's annoying but I think I get away with less pain than what I hear others have from the existing nerve damage. Flomax and several other meds work just like you described. Great at first but become less effective with constant use. The doc then switches over to something else. Sometimes it goes in a circle.
    *** Insert typical -I'm not a doc, go ask one- disclaimer here *** I'm just giving an example of ~some~ of the stuff I rotate with. For my personal condition, I never get 'cured' or stop having incontinence but there are reduced difficulties that makes it still worth it for me.

Oxybutynin for example I go back to every several months. It does help but I am one of those ppl that gets the side effects from almost everything. When I start noticing memory loss I start to lower dosage. It takes a couple weeks for it to really go away tho. Then I notice I'm wetting more and more often so it does work good. *It also makes you sweat a lot less*

Tamsulosin (Flomax) - You already know about this one. For me it's about the same as taking Saw Palmetto tho.

Proscar for BPH I hated this stuff if for no other reason it really messed with me in ummm 'personal ways'.

Avodart for BPH - this takes a lil while and seems to work but I can either take it when the problem comes up or for the rest of my life regular. I chose to only when I have the problem.

Doxazosin for my BPH works good but really drops my BP so I have to be careful. I don't take it all the time. It does really good for BPH but I only take it 2 weeks at a time. Wears off but I can restart it after 4 months with good results. If I notice problems during the wear off time I hop over to the Avodart.

Dicyclomine for IBS (since you mentioned Divrtc) and they were counting on the side effect for less urination - If they ever try to give you this make sure you take it near someone! Stuff will make you hallucinate.
    The nerve damage down your legs from the broken tailbone? Maybe look up "sciatica"? You can look up spinal injuries to see what part of the body it affects.
    For example:
    http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...pinal_cord.gif
    Back Pain - In-Depth Report - NY Times Health
    http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI10...spinal_map.jpg

I have been on and still have so many freakin drugs for all this I could open a gastro/urology pharmacy! Currently, I basically quit most of it unless I start getting so serious pains or something that gets my attention. I mostly do the Uroxatrol (basically the same as Flomax) and Amitriptyline (helps with less bedwetting and I sleep better).

Quote Originally Posted by kitsiulla View Post
    Grizz, diverticulitis and broken tailbone - OWWW! You are having your fair share of pain for sure! Let me see if I can help a little with what you are asking tho. I have constant recurring BPH and they aren't really sure why but keep going thru tests and tons of meds. It's annoying but I think I get away with less pain than what I hear others have from the existing nerve damage. Flomax and several other meds work just like you described. Great at first but become less effective with constant use. The doc then switches over to something else. Sometimes it goes in a circle.
    *** Insert typical -I'm not a doc, go ask one- disclaimer here *** I'm just giving an example of ~some~ of the stuff I rotate with. For my personal condition, I never get 'cured' or stop having incontinence but there are reduced difficulties that makes it still worth it for me.

Oxybutynin for example I go back to every several months. It does help but I am one of those ppl that gets the side effects from almost everything. When I start noticing memory loss I start to lower dosage. It takes a couple weeks for it to really go away tho. Then I notice I'm wetting more and more often so it does work good. *It also makes you sweat a lot less*

Tamsulosin (Flomax) - You already know about this one. For me it's about the same as taking Saw Palmetto tho.

Proscar for BPH I hated this stuff if for no other reason it really messed with me in ummm 'personal ways'.

Avodart for BPH - this takes a lil while and seems to work but I can either take it when the problem comes up or for the rest of my life regular. I chose to only when I have the problem.

Doxazosin for my BPH works good but really drops my BP so I have to be careful. I don't take it all the time. It does really good for BPH but I only take it 2 weeks at a time. Wears off but I can restart it after 4 months with good results. If I notice problems during the wear off time I hop over to the Avodart.

Dicyclomine for IBS (since you mentioned Divrtc) and they were counting on the side effect for less urination - If they ever try to give you this make sure you take it near someone! Stuff will make you hallucinate.
    The nerve damage down your legs from the broken tailbone? Maybe look up "sciatica"? You can look up spinal injuries to see what part of the body it affects.
    For example:
    http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...pinal_cord.gif
    Back Pain - In-Depth Report - NY Times Health
    http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI10...spinal_map.jpg

I have been on and still have so many freakin drugs for all this I could open a gastro/urology pharmacy! Currently, I basically quit most of it unless I start getting so serious pains or something that gets my attention. I mostly do the Uroxatrol (basically the same as Flomax) and Amitriptyline (helps with less bedwetting and I sleep better).
    Forgot to mention my herniated L5 pinching my S1 as well. Honestly I don't think I can play the prescription roulette game anymore. I am already on a bunch of meds for high blood pressure, thyroid, acid reflux, ADD & so on.

You got to stop hanging out at build a bear.hope you feel well soon

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    You got to stop hanging out at build a bear.hope you feel well soon
    No problem there. I have been banned from going to BAB by my wife years ago :/
    Last edited by Trevor; 07-Aug-2012 at 01:37. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Forgot to mention my herniated L5 pinching my S1 as well. Honestly I don't think I can play the prescription roulette game anymore. I am already on a bunch of meds for high blood pressure, thyroid, acid reflux, ADD & so on.
    If the sudden numbness (or) sharp/stinging/spike pains like "nerve firecrackers" go off in your legs then you need to see your neurologist again.

I Love the term "prescription roulette game" lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitsiulla View Post
    If the sudden numbness (or) sharp/stinging/spike pains like "nerve firecrackers" go off in your legs then you need to see your neurologist again.

I Love the term "prescription roulette game" lol!!
    Oh, I'm sorry. The numbness I experienced was for an instant at the time of the injury back......20 ish years ago.
    Last edited by Trevor; 07-Aug-2012 at 01:38. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.

grizz i know what you are feeling, i have an impingement in L5/S1 too, had 2 epidurals, and no relief = think it made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by diapernh View Post
    grizz i know what you are feeling, i have an impingement in L5/S1 too, had 2 epidurals, and no relief = think it made it worse.
    Ouch! yeah they started talking surgery but I refused & went to an awesome PT guy. Between the PT & my chiropractor it is now going on 5 years since I had a crippling episode. The worst I get now is a few twinges & achy soreness down my legs. A quick trip to the chiro & I am back on my feet that day.
    Last edited by Trevor; 08-Aug-2012 at 00:40. Reason: removing auto-merged duplicate post.